Stone Glacier opinion

Tradchef

WKR
Hey guys,
I have a question. So for years I used kifaru and a reckoning bag. I am a bone in or bone out meat in the bag hauler personally. I switched over to Stone Glacier a few years ago with a Krux frame and 5900 bag. Again, meat in the bag fan. I do use the load shelf sometimes but most of the time I still prefer meat in the bag. I was at the shop yesterday and was bs’ing about the 6900 with center zip. It looks like it would be a better choice for this style of pack out. I do hunt solo 98% of the time and the rest I have my lady on rifle hunts. So I pack our extra gear to keep her weight down. I packed out my bear two weeks ago and go to thinking about this. The 5900 handles it well but it can get super tight. I’ve done plenty of bone in elk, bears and deer but again it gets tight. They talked to me about the terminus which looks pretty slick but I think the 6900 for late season or longer solo trips might be a better way. The 5900 is tits but again trying to get bigger animals in one or two heavy loads without a partner can get fairly tight. Has anyone used the 6900 like this and what are your thoughts? Or should I just start using the meat shelf and stay as is for the bag layout ?

nobody

WKR
Love my 5900, and Stone Glacier frames (I’ve owned an x curve and a Krux) have performed the best of the different packs I’ve owned over the years, by far.

I’ve never owned a 6900, but I know of several people who use it as their one and done. But they’re also doing longer hunts and packing the animal out in the meat shelf. Their regular bag and frame setups aren’t designed to handle and support the weight in the bag, and I would bet the hauling experience would be better no matter what bag you buy if you use the meat shelf.

That said, if you’re a no apologies, no exception “meat inside my bag” kind of guy looking to replace his pack, why don’t you just look into their Terminus setups? SG designed the Terminus SPECIFICALLY to haul meat inside the main bag, with a meat shelf-esque setup to the structure of the bag itself. Rather than using your 5900 or a 6900 for a purpose for which it was never intended to be used, I would recommend looking into their Terminus 7000 or 8700. They were made to be used for what you’re describing.

Hey guys,
I have a question. So for years I used kifaru and a reckoning bag. I am a bone in or bone out meat in the bag hauler personally. I switched over to Stone Glacier a few years ago with a Krux frame and 5900 bag. Again, meat in the bag fan. I do use the load shelf sometimes but most of the time I still prefer meat in the bag. I was at the shop yesterday and was bs’ing about the 6900 with center zip. It looks like it would be a better choice for this style of pack out. I do hunt solo 98% of the time and the rest I have my lady on rifle hunts. So I pack our extra gear to keep her weight down. I packed out my bear two weeks ago and go to thinking about this. The 5900 handles it well but it can get super tight. I’ve done plenty of bone in elk, bears and deer but again it gets tight. They talked to me about the terminus which looks pretty slick but I think the 6900 for late season or longer solo trips might be a better way. The 5900 is tits but again trying to get bigger animals in one or two heavy loads without a partner can get fairly tight. Has anyone used the 6900 like this and what are your thoughts? Or should I just start using the meat shelf and stay as is for the bag layout ?
I have a x curve with the 3300, 5900, 6900, and terminus 7000. I’m a meat in the bag person as well, and the last two season I’ve been grabbing the Terminus every time.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I have a x curve with the 3300, 5900, 6900, and terminus 7000. I’m a meat in the bag person as well, and the last two season I’ve been grabbing the Terminus every time.
What’s been your primary animals you are packing with the terminus? Any durability issues you’ve seen thus far?

What’s been your primary animals you are packing with the terminus? Any durability issues you’ve seen thus far?
I’ve packed two elk, two bears, mule deer, Nilgai and caribou. Zero issues so far. If there was one thing I could change it would be to put a side pocket on it for the bottom of a tripod to rest in when strapped to pack. I’ll likely send it off to get it added at some point. I still carry a tripod on the outside but occasionally it’ll slip down, just a slight annoyance.

ljalberta

WKR
The 6900 sounds like the perfect match for your style and needs. It’s certainly nicer than the 5900 for packing meat inside with the centre zip. I have a Terminus as well. I’m a fan, but it’s a little less versatile.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Love my 5900, and Stone Glacier frames (I’ve owned an x curve and a Krux) have performed the best of the different packs I’ve owned over the years, by far.

I’ve never owned a 6900, but I know of several people who use it as their one and done. But they’re also doing longer hunts and packing the animal out in the meat shelf. Their regular bag and frame setups aren’t designed to handle and support the weight in the bag, and I would bet the hauling experience would be better no matter what bag you buy if you use the meat shelf.

That said, if you’re a no apologies, no exception “meat inside my bag” kind of guy looking to replace his pack, why don’t you just look into their Terminus setups? SG designed the Terminus SPECIFICALLY to haul meat inside the main bag, with a meat shelf-esque setup to the structure of the bag itself. Rather than using your 5900 or a 6900 for a purpose for which it was never intended to be used, I would recommend looking into their Terminus 7000 or 8700. They were made to be used for what you’re describing.
Totally hear you on this. For big quarters I use the shelf but most things I do in the bag. Comfort is pretty good. I feel like it’s better than the kifaru frame and bag I was currently using but like I said the 5900 can get tight on larger critters that way. The shop guys suggested the 6900 or terminus. 6900 because of a cost savings and already having the frame or if you have to get a new pack the terminus for sure.

S.Clancy

WKR
I agree with @Turkeygetpwnd38. If you are going to pack meat in the bag, no reason not to use the Terminus. I solo packed 3 whole mule deer bucks (bone-in), 2 bull elk (half an elk+camp bone-in) and an antelope. No durability issues I have seen so far, except when I slammed the belt buckle in a car door.

ljalberta

WKR
One thing I noticed using my Terminus vs the XCurve, is that the lack of the ‘wings’ on the belt where it connects to the frame make it feel as though the Terminus isn’t quite at the same level of locking in on my back. It can slightly sag. I still take my Terminus where weight is a big consideration, but my honest opinion is the XCurve locks in a load a little better.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
One thing I noticed using my Terminus vs the XCurve, is that the lack of the ‘wings’ on the belt where it connects to the frame make it feel as though the Terminus isn’t quite at the same level of locking in on my back. It can slightly sag. I still take my Terminus where weight is a big consideration, but my honest opinion is the XCurve locks in a load a little better.
I’m what way? You saying you feel like you get extra movement or slop when loaded down? Side to side movement etc..?

S.Clancy

WKR
That sounds solid. I’m over in Willow Creek so not to far from you at all.
Yea, if you are ever in Helena let me know. We live right below the trail system so you could take it for hike and see how it feels for you. It's the 7000 with MD belt

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Yea, if you are ever in Helena let me know. We live right below the trail system so you could take it for hike and see how it feels for you. It's the 7000 with MD belt
Perfect!!!! I’ll let you know as I can make a trip over there soon. That will fit perfect and that’s the size I was looking at yesterday at the shop

Poser

WKR
I'm on my 2nd season with a Xcurve and I have 4 bags: 2800, 3600, 4800 and 5900. With the access bag and lid option, that allows me to use the right bag for the right situation, from mild weather day hunts to sustained cold weather hunts. If the budget of adding a bag isn't of particular concern, I'd add the 6900. Personally, I don't like having more bag than I need, but that's just me. also, no reason to be married to one single bag when you have multiple options -that's part of the beauty of these types of hunting frame/bag designs.