Stone Glacier Grumman Jacket Review, By Jake Potter

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
On Rokslide we talk about puffy jackets a lot. As backcountry hunters, we are always looking for ways to stay warm while keeping our packs as small and light as possible. @Jpott3 (Jake Potter) has been testing the Stone Glacier Grumman Jacket in the PNW. Check out his review if you're in the market for a treated down puffy that is both warm and lightweight.

Stone Glacier Grumman Jacket Review

Last edited:

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
As always a thoughtful review. Just one question: is it quiet? I'm a trad archer and a jacket that is silent at close range is essential. Any insights are appreciated. Best, Don

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
As always a thoughtful review. Just one question: is it quiet? I'm a trad archer and a jacket that is silent at close range is essential. Any insights are appreciated. Best, Don

Thanks Don, quietness is so hard to judge from one person to another. To me as a compound archery/ rifle guy it’s quiet enough but that doesn’t mean it will be quiet enough for you, I would suggest seeing if you could physically get a hold of a jacket in a retail setting. Stone glacier has their apparel in quite a few different locations throughout the west

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Nice review. Test the North Face Summit jacket and RAB Alpine Microlight next please!

A quick google and the RAB uses the same quantum outer shell as the Grumman but with less down and a lower fill rating

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered one the other day. I just really can’t find a jacket in its weight/fill weight/price (I had a nice discount) that appears to be any better, or better enough to sway me.

I agree and luckily it’s made by a company that obviously supports hunting and has excellent customer service

A quick google and the RAB uses the same quantum outer shell as the Grumman but with less down and a lower fill rating

The RAB water treatment is awesome. I have one. What do you calculate as the down weight for the RAB vs. the SG?

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
The RAB water treatment is awesome. I have one. What do you calculate as the down weight for the RAB vs. the SG?

Per RAB website they have 5.0oz of goose down while the Grumman has 5.3 ounces of goose down so about the same the Grumman is just using higher quality 850+ fill power down as opposed to RAB 750. The RAB is also 5 oz heavier than the Grumman

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Don, quietness is so hard to judge from one person to another. To me as a compound archery/ rifle guy it’s quiet enough but that doesn’t mean it will be quiet enough for you, I would suggest seeing if you could physically get a hold of a jacket in a retail setting. Stone glacier has their apparel in quite a few different locations throughout the west

Thanks very much for the reply! best, Don

Stone glacier has quite a few on their website of the coyote in hunting situations

i agree. its just there colors appear to be different shades drastically based upon the lighting/ camera quality.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
If someone was in the market for a puffy why wouldn't they just go straight to the kifaru?

I have the kifaru lost park parka and it’s a great jacket but it doesn’t pack down well at all it’s extremely bulky

I have the kifaru as well. Yes it is puffy but it keeps you warm, wind is not a factor, tent or truck camping it comes in handy in the west dec/jan. Not trying to start shit just trying to replies up to potentially buy used gear.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kifaru as well. Yes it is puffy but it keeps you warm, wind is not a factor, tent or truck camping it comes in handy in the west dec/jan. Not trying to start shit just trying to replies up to potentially buy used gear.

I agree but in this case the Grumman wins for the backpack hunter

Jbehredt

WKR
Was packing for a fishing trip to the bottom of the bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison next week. Figured a light jacket might come in handy down there. Definitely counting oz on this one so I pulled out the food scale. To my surprise my Grumman is the lightest jacket I own. At 345 grams it matches exactly my hoodless Simms fall run primaloft which can’t be 25% as warm. It’s probably overkill for the lows I’ll see but can’t argue with the scale on this one! Next closest was the north face summit at 375 grams. Also not nearly as lofty.