Stone Glacier Grumman Jacket Review, By Jake Potter

Cxs03g

FNG
Was packing for a fishing trip to the bottom of the bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison next week. Figured a light jacket might come in handy down there. Definitely counting oz on this one so I pulled out the food scale. To my surprise my Grumman is the lightest jacket I own. At 345 grams it matches exactly my hoodless Simms fall run primaloft which can’t be 25% as warm. It’s probably overkill for the lows I’ll see but can’t argue with the scale on this one! Next closest was the north face summit at 375 grams. Also not nearly as lofty.

Sounds awesome and would provide a good real world opp to test the water resistance and wicking ability. I’d like to hear how that goes.

LJ Buck

WKR
I just listed a never worn Grumman Coyote/L in the classifieds if anyone is thinking about adding this to their system.

Zeke0496

FNG
How is it with wind and what about the colors they look shiny on the website was wondering if they look like that it’s out in the field?

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not like super shiny is it? I don’t wanna be looking reflective out there.

It’s not as shiny as it appears in pictures but it’s not flat either, hard to describe I don’t think there is an issue of game spotting you because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeke0496

FNG
It’s not as shiny as it appears in pictures but it’s not flat either, hard to describe I don’t think there is an issue of game spotting you because of it.

Okay just checking. Now another question what do you think is more durable the Kuiu Super Down pro or the SG Grumman? I know the Grumman has a little more insulation. But what about durability and wind protection?

I had a Grumman on order, but it hadn't shipped after a week.

Then I remembered it was made in Asia. So I canceled the order. For only $60 (18%) more I bought a made in USA Feathered Friends Helios hoody. 7.8 oz 900+ fill versus 5.3 oz 850+ for the Grumman. 3.5 oz heavier shell weight for the Helios, which is fine by me. The Pertex Endurance fabric on the FF has much higher water resistance (10,000 mm versus 450 mm for Quantum) and wind resistance than the Pertex Quantum on the GG. The new formula of Endurance also has excellent breathability and heat retention.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Then I remembered it was made in Asia. So I canceled the order. For only $60 (18%) more I bought a made in USA Feathered Friends Helios hoody. 7.8 oz 900+ fill versus 5.3 oz 850+ for the Grumman. 3.5 oz heavier shell weight for the Helios, which is fine by me. The Pertex Endurance fabric on the FF has much higher water and wind resistance than the Pertex Quantum on the GG.
Thanks for your valuable input on this review thread

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Okay just checking. Now another question what do you think is more durable the Kuiu Super Down pro or the SG Grumman? I know the Grumman has a little more insulation. But what about durability and wind protection?

Sorry I don’t have any experience with the Kuiu

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider

Then I remembered it was made in Asia. So I canceled the order. For only $60 (18%) more I bought a made in USA Feathered Friends Helios hoody. 7.8 oz 900+ fill versus 5.3 oz 850+ for the Grumman. 3.5 oz heavier shell weight for the Helios, which is fine by me. The Pertex Endurance fabric on the FF has much higher water and wind resistance than the Pertex Quantum on the GG. The new formula of Endurance also has excellent breathability and heat retention.

Sounds like a nice jacket. I like putting my money towards USA made products as well but I also like supporting US companies that support us as hunters and Stone Glacier definitely does that. I’m not sure how many people they employ but it’s quite a few right in Bozeman MT.

I agree that Stone Glacier is a good hunting company. I just wonder why they outsource to Asia but still cost over 80% as much as a better-feaured USA jacket. Not going to pay USA prices for an Asian jacket.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that Stone Glacier is a good hunting company. I just wonder why they outsource to Asia but still cost over 80% as much as a better-feaured USA jacket. Not going to pay USA prices for an Asian jacket.

I could see your argument if they were the same price but as you mentioned the SG is 18 percent cheaper. At any rate I’m glad you found a jacket that works for you. I’ll be keeping the SG and supporting them as a company, I’ve yet to see feathered friends support anything hunting related maybe I am wrong.

GunsUp

FNG
I can only imagine if Stone Glacier brought in a camo pattern to the mix if that would shake some things up!

The Super Down Pro will be much more durable. It's a 30D fabric vs 15D on the Stone Glacier. And the Grumman will lose feathers frequently because of the 15D. I know this because I had two of them in the past.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

for anyone considering the FF Helios, it has a notoriously short cut hem meant to stay out of the way for a climbing harness. So it rides up a lot when you’re sitting around glassing. Something to consider.

also about the cost of the Stone Glacier, I think one of its closest competitors is the Arc’Teryx Cerium LT which retails for $379 and is also made overseas. Granted SG doesn’t have the same apparel pedigree as Arcteryx but it’s still $50 less and has more down. And the Grumman is sold out in nearly every size on SG’s website so people don’t seem to mind.

I’ve had dozens of down jackets and the SG is the best compromise for me between weight, durability and warmth I’ve been able to find. I sold one last week to try out the new Sitka Kelvin Lite Down - the Sitka is on it’s way back and another Grumman is on order.

Last edited:
for anyone considering the FF Helios, it has a notoriously short cut hem meant to stay out of the way for a climbing harness. So it rides up a lot when you’re sitting around glassing. Something to consider.

also about the cost of the Stone Glacier, I think one of its closest competitors is the Arc’Teryx Cerium LT which retails for $379 and is also made overseas. Granted SG doesn’t have the same apparel pedigree as Arcteryx but it’s still $50 less and has more down. And the Grumman is sold out in nearly every size on SG’s website so people don’t seem to mind.

I’ve had dozens of down jackets and the SG is the best compromise for me between weight, durability and warmth I’ve been able to find. I sold one last week to try out the new Sitka Kelvin Lite Down - the Sitka is on it’s way back and another Grumman is on order.

Size up on the FF Helios if you are long wasted. I bought the large, even though I was on the border for medium (5'8', 42" chest, 30 inch inseam). I'm long waisted and was concerned about coverage.

The large comes down past my hip bones on the sides and just below the tip of my tailbone. Mission accomplished.

Plenty of coverage for my use of the fat puffy, which is glassing, camp, or deerstand. For active tasks I wear the Uncompahgre with down vest underneath or even a very light puffy underneath if needed.

FROM A REVIEW OF THE HELIOS (FF RESPONDS)
It is worth noting that we tested a size M and our two primary testers are 5'10 and 6 feet with slim builds. According to Feathered Friends the size large will add an inch to the length and they note that this style is a bit conservative on the sizing, meaning buyers may want to consider purchasing a size up.

Last edited:

sr80

WKR

I was thinking of trying that one too, can you share your opinion on that kelvin?