Stone Glacier: Avail vs Kiowa as a Day Pack

Rackmastr

WKR
I own a 5900 and a 7900 SG and just sold my Sitka Flash 20 pack that I use a lot for day hunts.

No intention to haul a bunch of meat, and if I was doing a bigger hunt that required the room, the 5900 would likely be my 'go-to'.

Flash 20 has been used for the past few years and I want a pack to take its place. Enough room for spotter, tripod, lighter jacket, gloves/hat, snacks, water, calls, knives, etc.

It seems as if the Avail would work great, but wondering if anyone finds it too small for day trips? I have a 'whitetail' pack that I'd wear in a blind or treestand, so this will be used for chasing cats, antelope hunting, mulie hunts not requiring a bunch of packing, scouting, etc.

Likely over thinking it, but find myself wondering if the Avail is too small to be comfy with all that stuff.

Thanks for any real world comments on either!

Kotaman

WKR
I use the 5900 in daypack mode for pretty much all of my daypack needs. I would bet it is similar and size to your flash 20 when its all folded up/compressed. I also have an Avail, but I rarely use it.

Last edited:
OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
Ya, I love the 5900 all cinched up as a day pack. No doubt its a great option for almost all day hunting.

Sometimes just like a smaller one for running around with. Might be answering my own question by typing it out and realizing the Avail may fit the bill for the times that I want something like that. The Kiowa just looks like a neat option too.

md126

WKR
I love the size of the Kiowa but the design of the Avail

If they ever make an Avail 3500 I’ll buy one immediately

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run the avail as my day pack now and it works great. It also can get put on your Xcurve Frame if you would like and it keeps me from over packing with its 2200 cubic inch capacity.

I just wish they would get with the program and throw a couple bottle holders sewn into the sides of the Avail and Kiowa. The Avail would be borderline the perfect daypack then. No bottle holder pockets killed that pack for me. Just an aggravation that I wasn’t willing to deal with on an otherwise perfect day pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
I just wish they would get with the program and throw a couple bottle holders sewn into the sides of the Avail and Kiowa. The Avail would be borderline the perfect daypack then. No bottle holder pockets killed that pack for me. Just an aggravation that I wasn’t willing to deal with on an otherwise perfect day pack

Ya interesting, something I hadn't considered.

Used to have an original MR Dragonfly and it fit the bill so nicely. I sold it for some stupid reason....lol.

RAPTOR

WKR

Yes. This. This is actually the reason I sold mine. They have bottle holders on the inside of the pack, which takes away from the interior storage. I liked everything else about it. Shape charge worked well for me, but was too tall and not deep enough for my every day pack. Right now I have a Kuiu 1800 venture, which is currently checking all the boxes for me. I'm a picky mo fo for a day pack.

Add me to that list too. Had a Kuiu icon pro 1850 before the avail and liked the layout better, and the water bottle holder pockets on the sides is one of the main reasons.

I’d also like a shallower pocket on the outside top, but I realize I’m probably in the minority there.

And I don’t know whose measuring is wrong, but the 1850 was bigger than the avail (2200).

At least the avail has one little side pocket thing for a tripod.. the Kiowa doesn’t have that, which is the reason I don’t switch to that for a frameless pack. If the avail wasn’t big enough for my day pack, I’d probably get a 5900 rather than a Kiowa. The 5900 in bivy mode and no lid is 3800, and has water bottle pockets on the side.

The avail works for me for a daypack, but I also have a fairly small spotting scope and very packable puffy clothes.

Last edited:

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to pick up and Avail one of these days, seems like the perfect size for shorter hunts. I dont know much about the Kiowa but I am sure if it is anything like the rest of the SG line up then its great

mdxv

FNG
Does anyone know how much the Kiowa can hold weight wise? I’m curious if I could pack out any meat with it if needed.

Does anyone know how much the Kiowa can hold weight wise? I’m curious if I could pack out any meat with it if needed.

I’d imagine it’s going to be along the lines of the Avail as far as hauling serious weight. You’d probably be ok if the load is sub 30lbs but anything over that is going to really suck

md126

WKR
I was told around 50-60lbs max. Probably good for a first load out and then use an external frame for the rest.

FNG
I like the Avail a lot. Nice and small but a great layout for a day pack. I also travel a lot for work and use it as a laptop/travel bag so it’s a nice dual purpose for me.