Stone Glacier and Kifaru

I have used big packs and little packs. I think it totally depends on what, where, and how a guy is hunting. When I was in Alaska my Barney Bag was awesome. I don't like it as much down here though.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
I get what you guys are saying, but that DT1 is HUGE. I mean HUGE! Like I mentioned in the video, It would be nice if you are packing a packraft or something.

by the website the dt1 is 7200 & highcamp 7000 the terminus is 6300ci not including the load shelf,i really like how they have made the highcamp with more circumference rather than taller hate when i get mine full & its way above my head.i will have to dig out a pic of my longhunter 8500ci loaded up,it looks pretty funny, but have packed 150lb loads in it.

Yukondog

WKR
Totally agree. Why go with the smaller bag and throw on pockets when 2200 more cubes is available for 3 more oz's? I'll always go big for packs and compress them down. Air is light to pack!

I have wonder what the weight savings would be by cutting out the snow collar. Has anyone weighted all the individual parts has you have cut them off?

It does seem strange to cut it out to save 3oz to have to put pockets on.

I have wonder what the weight savings would be by cutting out the snow collar. Has anyone weighted all the individual parts has you have cut them off?

It does seem strange to cut it out to save 3oz to have to put pockets on.

The snow collar is approx 1.5 oz's from my DT1 that I cut out.

I cut the snow collar off my DT1 because it got in the way a lot for me. Most of my gear is very lightweight/small and I didn't even fill up my DT1 for 10 days with extras to the snow collar. So I cut mine out. I don't use extra pockets on it though because the DT1 already has side pockets and a couple on the back. With my cut up XTL lid, and my DT1 bag with sleeping bag divider/snow collar/common loops on bottom/hydration pocket cut off It comes in right at 2 lbs 14 oz's for bag/lid

cmeier117

WKR
I am really curious how the stone glacier does stuffed full of meat or a weeks worth of gear? Curious if those rods will hit your back when the pack barrels. Because I am guessing it will from your video.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am really curious how the stone glacier does stuffed full of meat or a weeks worth of gear? Curious if those rods will hit your back when the pack barrels. Because I am guessing it will from your video.

Cameron,

I am working on testing that also. From what I have seen so far, using the meat shelf actually reinforces the frame, and prevents barrelling. My concern is that there could be some barrelling with the bag overstuffed tight to the frame. The torso pads should keep the rods from touching your back, even with some barrelling though.

I will keep you posted.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Brother,

Call me and I'll go over what needs to be done to make this happen. I have a 6500 in my office and can walk you through everything.

720-937-1418
That bikini frame looks sweet. I wonder if I could frankenstein my MR 6500 onto it???

cmeier117

WKR
Matt, I would really like to see your take on the value you think both of these packs give you in the long run and how modularity that both packs give you. I know for me after using my K packs for over a year, there are things I want to change with how my pockets and gear is organized and set up, I am changing spotters this year and may also do some rifle hunts with a buddy so I may carry a rifle instead of a bow. Kifaru just offers all sorts of options with little weight gain and glacier doesn't really as of now. So on paper the packs are the same price, weight is within a few ounces and lets just assume the comfort and load hauling is the same, although from the video you did comparing the frames I highly doubt that flat rigid waist belt on the Glacier pack is going to be very comfortable with 100 lbs very long, I am also curious how that frame feels with a lot of weight with that much barreling allowed. So to me on paper and the fact that Kifaru is the most comfortable and most durable (Maybe except for Mystery Ranch, but we are splitting hairs on that one) why would someone go with the Glacier?

Anyway in the end I would love to get your take on the two packs from this perspective. Because right now the Kifaru seems like a clear winner even if the packs end in a dead heat just because of the options available to you and being able to change your organization and what not. Looking forward to hear what you think!!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Cameron,

The point of the review is to go over the bags' features in just the way you are looking at it, so folks can make their own decision on which suits their needs better.

Since I haven't had too much time with the Kifaru, and need more time to get the load sling tests done, it looks like mid-late March for the conclusion article.

I will say the SG belt is quite solid on my build, and the torso pad just improves that stability, for me. I do still prefer the Kifaru belt, however.

hey im not in the group whos worried about all their camo matching their pack! ;)
in seriousness though, just alot of $$$ for something thats looks like an afterthought

Benny

FNG
I'm not trying to jump in this debate but I do want to say that the SG doesnt barrel. The load lifters are connected directly to the frame so there are opposing forces keeping it from getting pulled back. I don't have a good picture of a heavy load but this picture (still not the best) shows the pack w/ around 60lbs of bear meat and around 20lbs of camp. Even w/ loads well over a hundred I never had anything barrel.

IMG_0961_zps1f6bf752.jpg

Sorry...carry on :)

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
No apologies needed benny!

Jump in anytime, your experience is valued here.

FTF,

The lumbar pad works better than it looks.

cmeier117

WKR
Benny, That is good to know on the barreling with over 100lbs. Kinda hard to believe I am sure but when you go to weights in the 100-150 lb range packs do weird things. ;) I have had them basically rip off my back before....

Pass-n-Thru

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the SOLO. Benny helped me with this decision, so I would like to thank him. Also since having it for a week and doing a max test with 60lbs in the bag only, it felt real good. I have just purchsed the lumbar support to test it with that.

There were a few times I thought it might be more comfortable, so I will give that a shot. I have never had a Kifaru pack on my back, but I am pleased with the SG so far. I need to test it with the load shelf and the sack full.

I purchased the SOLO. Benny helped me with this decision, so I would like to thank him. Also since having it for a week and doing a max test with 60lbs in the bag only, it felt real good. I have just purchsed the lumbar support to test it with that.

There were a few times I thought it might be more comfortable, so I will give that a shot. I have never had a Kifaru pack on my back, but I am pleased with the SG so far. I need to test it with the load shelf and the sack full.

I don't think you can go wrong with either pack. I carry a Kifaru, but with a bikini frame and my dT1 bag I'll be right around 5.5lbs These stone glaciers are about 1.5 lbs lighter. I know what my Kifaru can carry so I'll stick with it, but anyone looking to get into a premium pack can't go wrong with either its looking like