Stolen Jeep need a truck

280Ackley

WKR
I just got GMC Canyon with the 2.8 Duramax. On my 75 mile commute it gets 26 mpg on the way there and 32 mpg on the way home. Has done great in the snow we have gotten too.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Awesome to hear. Why the z71 over the sierra at4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I work for a big dealer group and get employee pricing. The sierra is badass as well. If I did it again id get the trailboss with the factory lift.

That would be an awesome vehicle but I think it can only tow 3500 lbs. deal breaker. Same with bronco. They actually cavalier just over 6k but I have a 1k deductible.

Actually gladiator is rated for 7k lbs. However for a travel trailer that translates to about 5k Max practically. Practical Max for half tons is about 7500lbs.

Ignore Max towing "brochure" numbers.

tdhanses

WKR
Actually gladiator is rated for 7k lbs. However for a travel trailer that translates to about 5k Max practically. Practical Max for half tons is about 7500lbs.

Ignore Max towing "brochure" numbers.
What’s that Jeep weigh, i’d think it is much lighter then most 1/2tons. My 1/2ton is around 5500lbs. While towing my camper in wind was more relaxing with my 3/4ton, that amounts to 5% of what my pickup does, 85% is it just driving from point A to point B even if using the box. My 3/4ton got an avg of 11mpg with normal daily city driving, my 1/2ton gets 22-23 driving the exact same way.

Fact is most don’t need a 3/4ton. Now I wouldn’t want to tow much with a vehicle weighing less then my 1/2ton, any trailer would move it around easily. Also the 1/2ton has pulled 12k but i wouldn’t want to do this for long distance and really i’m not sure if the wheels and axles would handle doing it constantly.

I would say 1/2ton for up to 8500lbs towing long distance, above that get a 1ton. For randomly pulling heavier loads i wouldn’t upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
ryjack70ss
I just got GMC Canyon with the 2.8 Duramax. On my 75 mile commute it gets 26 mpg on the way there and 32 mpg on the way home. Has done great in the snow we have gotten too.

What package? I ask because I hear the ride is rough unless you get ZR2 but that drops the tow capacity to 5000.

280Ackley

WKR
Mine is the SLT. I haven’t had it off pavement yet since I have only had it for 3 weeks. On the Highway and in town even with 8-10” of snow it’s been really smooth. I like it a lot more than my 21 Silverado that was my work truck.

tdhanses

WKR
What package? I ask because I hear the ride is rough unless you get ZR2 but that drops the tow capacity to 5000.

I doubt it’s a rough ride stock, gm tends to have a soft ride on the vehicles, that was one thing i didn’t like about my slt, the lift and new shocks made it feel like a truck vs a car. It’s now been stiffened up just enough were it isn’t like riding in a 3/4ton but also not floaty like a car.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a 2011 Toyota Sequoia, of course a Tundra is the same from the front seats forward, and everything 2008-2021 is almost the same. I pull an enclosed trailer that's just over 6000 lbs often enough, it handles it great, much better than the 2008 GMC Denali I had before. Toyota's 5.7 and 6-speed is great on long highway trips, almost transparent. Sequoia has the best transfer case available, but Tunra's is not the same. Sequoia IRS rides better than any live axle, which Tundra and almost all pickups have.

Downsides, I only ever get about 14 mpg, and usually <300 mi/tank. Lot's of little annoyances with Toyota. This is my first Toyota, and probably my last. The new 2022 Tundras have a big price increase, but not much better gas mileage.

Not sure any of that is helpful, but good luck with your search anyway.

OP
ryjack70ss
We finally had a weekend where the rain/ice/snow wasn't falling and I could get to the dealer. I drove a ranger fx4 and a f150 fx4 with the 5.0. Both were lariat. Man, they were two different trucks inside for sure. My prior trucks were not these huge new half tons. Since then I have gotten by with two jeep grand cherokees.

1. Size: The Ranger felt a bit small on the inside. If I had a passenger, I think our elbows would be touching if we both placed them on the center console. The back seat was cramped. Our kids are 6 and almost 8 and very small, but they will grow and I am not sure a grown adult would want to spend a road trip in there. But, very large. The back seat was cavernous compared to the cramped back seat of the ranger. Seemed almost too big.

2. Interior: Both were Lariat. The ranger interior felt "cheap" for a lariat. My 2011 premium package mustang is just as nice if not nicer. The F150 was very, very nice. The F150 on the inside felt like a luxury vehicle in the same Lariat trim as the ranger. Very comfortable, but again, very large.

3. Power: I tow our Honda Pioneer 1000-5. The grand cherokee got by, but both of these have much higher tow ratings, starting at 7500 with the Ranger, so I think we are fine either way for what I tow. The ranger exterior was awesome. I loved how nimble it was and easy to maneuver and park. The i4 left more to be desired as my daily driver is a 5.0 mustang. It sounded like a wind up toy compared to the 5.0. The ranger has more bed space than my jeep had in the back, but I did like the extra bed space of the F150, though. The F150 can also get the ecoboost or the hybrid. My wife has the ecoboost in her explorer sport. It's OK. I like the feel of the 5.0 better but the ecoboost is fine too.

4. Gas mileage: this has never been an impact in my purchases before, but I cannot help to see that the ranger had 30 mpg on my trial run vs. 17 with the 5.0 F150. And then again, the AT4, which I have not tested yet, can get close to the 28 mpg with the 3.0 diesel. I just like the looks of the F150 better.

I was hoping to leave the dealer knowing 100% if I wanted a full size or midsize. Unfortunately that did not happen.

You owe it to yourself to drive an F150 with the 2.7L eco boost. Faster than the 3.5L due to gearing. Tows our side by side fine in a tandem axle trailer.

The 5.0 is a mustang motor, really needs revs to make power and has no business in a truck IMO.

You owe it to yourself to drive an F150 with the 2.7L eco boost. Faster than the 3.5L due to gearing. Tows our side by side fine in a tandem axle trailer.

The 5.0 is a mustang motor, really needs revs to make power and has no business in a truck IMO.
Gearing is no different between the 2.7 or 3.5 Eco. You’ll be able to get either 3.33, 3.55 or 3.73 gear ratios in either platform. For the OP’s use I’d suggest 3.55. But certainly agree, you need to drive an ecoboost. Fantastic power.

Gearing is no different between the 2.7 or 3.5 Eco. You’ll be able to get either 3.33, 3.55 or 3.73 gear ratios in either platform. For the OP’s use I’d suggest 3.55. But certainly agree, you need to drive an ecoboost. Fantastic power.

Standard gearing for the 2.7 is 3.73 while 3.5 usually get 3.55 or lower. So unless you custom build your order chances are the little eco boosts are quicker off the lot. No arguing that the 3.5 is an absolute beast though, but I find my wife’s 2.7 plenty sufficient for OPs use.

OP
ryjack70ss
Order confirmed! Drove multiple vehicles. Ranger back seat was a deal breaker with kids still. Went with the 2022 F150 Tremor. It is perfect. Went to buy one last week but then when signing the papers the price was 5k higher than we discussed. They said it was a “dealer fee.” I kindly and politely told them to pound sand for being deceitful.

Just put an order in for one instead. RIP 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now I’m on to my next vehicle for the next 15+ years.

Last edited: