Still hunting/saddle hunting pants.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,

I have been considering getting a new pair of pants for hunting WT. I currently own the FL Catalyst Pant, FL Obsidian Pant, and the Solitude. That probably seems like a lot and it is. Often my wife will grab whatever is warmer if she is joining me hunting, ie if I grab the Obsidian she will grab the Catalyst.

I do a bunch of early season Saddle Hunting (archery) and late season Still Hunting (rifle), the pants I own are good but the Obsidian and the Catalyst get used a lot and will need to be replaced at some point. I'm hunting central to northern Alberta so it can get pretty cold at times. That's why I kind of lean toward Still Hunting as the temps drop.

I have been looking at the Sitka Traverse pant but I'm not sure it's the right one for me. What are you guys using when it's around freezing and you need to hike in a fair bit, like 1-2 miles with some real hills, I hunt the mountains but then need to sit. There are a few things I like about the Obsidian, one I really like the hand pockets aren't zippered. I also quite like the Catalyst Pant but see the new bibs have front pockets as there is now a zipper on the side. I might just be better to use what I have and throw some more layers underneath. I might also have to move to a belt, I do like the light suspenders on the FL pants but when nature calls and you have a bino harness/backpack and suspenders on it becomes a bit of a scene.

Cheers,

I should start posting my still hunting adventures here, I am starting to build up quite a few.

Btaylor

WKR
For saddle hunting I prefer the sitka mountain pants and wear them down to into the 20's but with some layering under them. Your avg temps might dictate something a little warmer.

Macintosh

WKR
Obsidians are the quietest of the ones you mentioned, for me thats important if you are bow hunting from that saddle. (?). Beyond that, a wicked heavy pair of longies underneath will help a lot in colder wx. I actually prefer an old-school wool pant if its really cold. Regardless, If its really cold (10f or less) I need to pull on some more insulation if im going to sit still for long. I have a heavy pair of bibs, but they are way too bulky for hiking in a ways, they fill an entire pack on their own. If you are a FL guy check out the uncompahgre pants. They are packable in size and weight, wear your lighter pants for the hike in and then zip them on over your regular pants when you get to your stand or sit, along with a down or other jacket. Not the quietest fabric, but it could be worse and the price tag is a lot better than some other lighter more packable options. They’ll be similar warmth as your solitude, just a lot more packable.

I’ve been running the equinox pants with zip off first lite base layers that I can pack in. If it’s really cold with wind, I’ll also carry my fanatic bibs. I haven’t found a Sitka pant that I’m truly happy with as far as durability goes. I’m giving kuiu attack pants a go this early spring and upcoming fall with the aforementioned zip off base layers. Definitely size up if you go that route, a friend advised me of that and I’m glad he did, I definitely would’ve been returning them.

Sitka apex are as quiet as obsidians and way more durable, with comparable warmth. In your scenario, I would hike in wearing those then put on a warmer layer when it was time to be still.

Hi,

I have been considering getting a new pair of pants for hunting WT. I currently own the FL Catalyst Pant, FL Obsidian Pant, and the Solitude. That probably seems like a lot and it is. Often my wife will grab whatever is warmer if she is joining me hunting, ie if I grab the Obsidian she will grab the Catalyst.

I do a bunch of early season Saddle Hunting (archery) and late season Still Hunting (rifle), the pants I own are good but the Obsidian and the Catalyst get used a lot and will need to be replaced at some point. I'm hunting central to northern Alberta so it can get pretty cold at times. That's why I kind of lean toward Still Hunting as the temps drop.

I have been looking at the Sitka Traverse pant but I'm not sure it's the right one for me. What are you guys using when it's around freezing and you need to hike in a fair bit, like 1-2 miles with some real hills, I hunt the mountains but then need to sit. There are a few things I like about the Obsidian, one I really like the hand pockets aren't zippered. I also quite like the Catalyst Pant but see the new bibs have front pockets as there is now a zipper on the side. I might just be better to use what I have and throw some more layers underneath. I might also have to move to a belt, I do like the light suspenders on the FL pants but when nature calls and you have a bino harness/backpack and suspenders on it becomes a bit of a scene.

Cheers,

I should start posting my still hunting adventures here, I am starting to build up quite a few.
I would go with the mountain pant over the traverse if you buy sitka.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I find it tough to know what to hike in with and then dress warmer without making a ton more noise. I am thinking this year of having a few preset trees I can set up with my saddle in and maybe even leave it in from time to time so I can bring in enough warm clothing.

Macintosh

WKR
You have to practice, its a learned thing figuring out what works for you.
Also, the insulated pants and jacket I pack in for cold wx stand hunting adds 2 stuffsacks to my pack, one about the size of a canteloupe, the other about a grapefruit, total weight about 2lb. Its not excessive. That allows me to hike up mountains with minimal sweating, then sit for a couple hours in 0f weather. Only problem is you pay for the combination of light/packable/warm. Pick just one and its a LOT easier on the wallet. But you should be able to do both.

Could look at stone glacier dehaviland. Also read a lot of good about the catalyst foundry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
You have to practice, its a learned thing figuring out what works for you.
Also, the insulated pants and jacket I pack in for cold wx stand hunting adds 2 stuffsacks to my pack, one about the size of a canteloupe, the other about a grapefruit, total weight about 2lb. Its not excessive. That allows me to hike up mountains with minimal sweating, then sit for a couple hours in 0f weather. Only problem is you pay for the combination of light/packable/warm. Pick just one and its a LOT easier on the wallet. But you should be able to do both.
Were you putting the insulated pants and jacket over your outer layers? I could see doing that if I was glassing or even rifle hunting where I might be able to get away with a little extra noise, but in a saddle I think most insulated gear would need to be under the quiet stuff. Just thinking out loud here.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Could look at stone glacier dehaviland. Also read a lot of good about the catalyst foundry.

I think the Catalyst Foundry might be my answer. That way I could easily hike in with the vents open and just close up for the sit. Maybe I would even be able to use a pair of Uncompahgre puffy pants underneath, I do own a pair but they are fragile and the last person to use them was my wife on a cold November rifle sit.

Do you have a pair of the Catalyst Foundry? Do the reinforced areas make noise?

I think the Catalyst Foundry might be my answer. That way I could easily hike in with the vents open and just close up for the sit. Maybe I would even be able to use a pair of Uncompahgre puffy pants underneath, I do own a pair but they are fragile and the last person to use them was my wife on a cold November rifle sit.

Do you have a pair of the Catalyst Foundry? Do the reinforced areas make noise?

I don’t unfortunately but actually looking to buy some for almost the same purpose as you. Something I can walk in with then throw on some puffy pants underneath. I saddle hunt so the knee pads will be perfect, then I’ll probably run some corrugate foundry early to mid season.

Macintosh

WKR
The noise is an issue for me archery hunting, but I generally dont need the big heavy stuff during archery season here—heavy longies and a couple layers I can add on top (heavier fleeces or lightly insulated stuff) are plenty down into the 20’s. Later in the season when Im rifle or ML hunting I dont feel like the noise is significant enough to matter, assuming I can sit still, because Im not usually trying to get so close. If you are archery hunting that late in the season I guess maybe you need a bigger pack to haul in some quieter warm clothes.
I generally pull insulated pants over my regular pants, and put a puffy jackeet on under a quieter softshell jacket. It isnt perfect from a sound standpoint, but could be a lot worse. I’ll take moderately noisy-ish fabric when Im warm-enough to sit still, over quiet but squirming around because I’m shivering, every day of the week. Partly because its just more fun that way.

I have worn the First Lite Catalyst Foundry pants for the past 2 seasons. I can layer beneath them in colder weather (Obsidians and a Furnace base layer) and stay on stand without issue. The side zips do a good job of dumping heat on the longer walks in. I like the built in knee pads for when i hunt from my saddle. (I only kneel against the tree to take a short break from standing). Two seasons of hard use and they have not given me a single issue.
The versatility of these pants make them a good choice for either style of hunting.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I have worn the First Lite Catalyst Foundry pants for the past 2 seasons. I can layer beneath them in colder weather (Obsidians and a Furnace base layer) and stay on stand without issue. The side zips do a good job of dumping heat on the longer walks in. I like the built in knee pads for when i hunt from my saddle. (I only kneel against the tree to take a short break from standing). Two seasons of hard use and they have not given me a single issue.
The versatility of these pants make them a good choice for either style of hunting.
How did you find the non Catalyst fabric? I saw some reviews saying they wished the pant had more of the Catalyst fabric and less of the reinforced fabric. Was the butt or knees noisy? I had a lot of really calm days of hunting last fall.

jjwise97

FNG
I wear my Sitka Mountain pants more than anything. Early September archery in the south is maybe a little too warm for them but everything from Oct 1 through the end of the season is usually fine. If it’s going to be cold and I’m going to be sitting still I throw a heavyweight base layer underneath. During that super cold snap we had around Christmas I wore those pants with the heavyweight layer underneath while still hunting in -2° and that was plenty comfortable.

How did you find the non Catalyst fabric? I saw some reviews saying they wished the pant had more of the Catalyst fabric and less of the reinforced fabric. Was the butt or knees noisy? I had a lot of really calm days of hunting last fall.
I like the way that they’re laid out as far as the fabric placement is concerned and I do not think that they are noisy.
The knee pads provided enough cushion to take a short break, kneeling against the tree. I would opt for a pair of external knee pads if planning on kneeling for prolonged periods.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback, it helps! I guess I have to think a bit about Catalyst Foundry or Catalyst bib.

RainmanOK

FNG
I have plenty of sitka gear from guiding/hunting through the years, but with travelling to hunt I've always just gotten wrangler pants (they usually have an insulated version in some walmarts, thin stretchy versions for early season) that are cheap and I can tear up through the season here in OK and CO. My sitka pants are heavy and I'd rather just tear up cheapy pants that are lighter.

ckeehn

FNG
I would recommend the Kuiu axis pant for late season if you are into Kuiu at all. Quiet, water proof areas (seat and knees), multiple pockets, hip vents to dump heat, warm pants and silent. I shot my late season buck wearing the from a saddle in WI (1-29-23). I wear them to the stand and then through on more insulated bibs before I scurry up my tree. I also wear the axis every day on our annual mule deer hunt out west unless we get cursed with fair weather. I've been beating the ever living hell out of them for 4 years and only one little snag from barbed wire is all I can show for wear. My corrugated pants are all snagged out with rips and tears. My corrugated foundry pants held up to the abuse of 10 days of back country elk hunting in September. Nice pants but definitely louder. I personally hated my sitka pants (mountain and timberlines). Timberlines didnt last one season and mountain pants didnt fit me right..