Steel vs aluminum rings

hydro4570

FNG
I'm in the process of setting up a longer range hopefully lightweight and accurate rifle in 6.5 PRC. The rifle will have a 4.5x14 Leupold scope with a Christensen Arms full rail mount, haven't purchased any rings yet. The overall theme of this rifle is keeping it light, I have always used steel rings in the past but as we all know aluminum runs several ounces lighter per set. Will the lighter weight rings work for this application or should I stay with steel.

Outwest

WKR
I've never used aluminum rings but in my research on a very similar build, the consensus was that steel makes up for its weight penalty in toughness/reliability.

Again, no first hand experience with alum rings but Ill take the weight penalty for a little more peace of mind.

Last edited:

LoggerDan

WKR
If it ain’t steel it ain’t real..

bases and rings, those are two things I’d never skimp on concerning strength, ruggedness and reliability.

Macintosh

WKR
Ive used fairly stout aluminum rings (seekins) on a bedded pic rail (both steel and aluminum) for a number of years and found them to be fine, despite a number of tumbles, airline travel “baggage toss”, etc. I dont know how they compare in weight though, they may be just as heavy as what you are looking at? Believe the seekins are about 4.5-5oz for a pair, not including rail, depending on height.

Last edited:

Rpolar

FNG
I have a couple mtn rifles with talley lightweights on them that i’ve had for almost 10 yrs and i’ve taken them all over including AK sheep hunts. They’ve always held zero but if I were to do it again i’d have put steel rings on especially if planning on some long shots. I’m a lot more confident with a good set of steel rings.

Samson7x

WKR
Quality aluminum rings will be fine. I personally like Seekins. ARC are great as well, but a little heavier.