Starter equipment list for a new bow hunter

I am completely new to hunting, having never done it before. I purchased a bow back in March and have been training hard with it, but don’t own any other hunting gear at all. I live in CT so I will be starting with white tails or turkeys, and will probably hunt deer from a stand and turkeys from a ground blind. Could someone recommend to me a basic, starter equipment list that someone in my position should start working on acquiring?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoh22

WKR
I think what you're asking is too broad of a question to be asking. First and foremost, what’s your budget? You can easily pour thousands of dollars into it if you want. For example, the Fanatic Jacket and Bibs from Sitka will put you back an easy $900 + tax and that’s just an outerlayer. Really ask yourself what you want to put into it. Everyone uses a different setup, different gear, different layering methods...etc. There is no cookie-cutter gear list that will encompass everything. But let's take a crack at that.

Clothing:
You need to first understand layering and why you need to layer in order to regulate temperature appropriately for the conditions you may be faced with. Here are two articles to get you started there.

Arcteryx Article: https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens-layering-guide
Sitka Article: https://www.sitkagear.com/experience/layering-101-with-sitka-gear-founder-jonathan-hart

There is a whole forum dedicated to clothing and whitetail, respectively, that will probably answer any question you have on the matter.

Footwear:
This could fall under clothing as it’s the same principles but footwear deserves it’s own attention to detail. Feet need to stay warm with the proper combination of socks and boots. Some people run insulated and some don’t. As a CT hunter myself I have a pair of each that I’ll wear dependent on the weather/temperature

Gear:
-Backpack - to bring food/drink, carry layers, post-kill equipment
-After the kill - How do you plan on getting your kill out of there? Dragging it to the truck? Butchering it in the field? These are questions you need to ask yourself and plan accordingly. A field dressing kit I’d assume for CT would be the option you’ll have to choose.
-Tree Stand/Ground Blind -Sounds like you have that set but again, dependent on if you’re hunting private or public. Barely any public land in CT just so you know.

Other:
Headlamp (way to see in the dark if hunting early in the day), rope is always good to carry.

Hope this helps somewhat, feel free to PM if you have any more questions about CT.

OP
M
You’ve definitely given me a lot to think about, and I see what you mean by asking too broad of a question. Seeing that you are a CT guy as well, I really appreciate your feedback.

Let me start with the expensive stuff first: how important is a rangefinder and binoculars for a deer hunter using a tree stand in CT? Also, should I be looking at a climbing stand or a hanging stand? I live in SE CT and will probably try to hunt public land, but I also may work some of my contacts to try to get some private land permissions as well.

wayoh22

WKR
You’ve definitely given me a lot to think about, and I see what you mean by asking too broad of a question. Seeing that you are a CT guy as well, I really appreciate your feedback.

Let me start with the expensive stuff first: how important is a rangefinder and binoculars for a deer hunter using a tree stand in CT? Also, should I be looking at a climbing stand or a hanging stand? I live in SE CT and will probably try to hunt public land, but I also may work some of my contacts to try to get some private land permissions as well.

I run a pair of Vortex 10x42's and a Leupold Rx1600i. I've found both to be very valuable especially in low-light conditions when deer usually move. I've been taught to never skip on good glass and having a rangefinder with angle comp has been worth every penny.

As for tree stands, if you're on public are you going to be hauling your stand in with you every time or do you intend to set it and forget it. Again, more questions to ask yourself. I hunt private so I have the luxury of setting it and forgetting it but public I'd personally never leave a stand hanging.

Climber vs hang-on:

OP
M
Sounds like I may be better off waiting until I figure out my spot before deciding on a stand type.

What about getting the deer out of the woods? Do you just tie a rope around the neck or antlers after field dressing it and drag it out, or is it worth getting a sled?

wayoh22

WKR
Sounds like I may be better off waiting until I figure out my spot before deciding on a stand type.

What about getting the deer out of the woods? Do you just tie a rope around the neck or antlers after field dressing it and drag it out, or is it worth getting a sled?

It's October 11th, the rut is in 2 weeks! I gut the deer in the field and just drag it to my truck. Again, a luxury of private. Not too sure on the distance with public but if you go with a sled you'd have to account for going back to your vehicle to get it and then go back for the deer after a confirmed kill. Something to consider there. I've never used a sled so can't comment/recommend on it too much.

OP
M
With all the equipment purchases that have to be made, ive pretty much decided I’ll have to skip this year and wait until next year. I don’t even have a freezer to store game in! My plan is to come up with a list of stuff and start slowly buying it over the next year so I am set for next season. This approach will also let me spend more on each item so that I end up with higher quality gear. Or at least that’s my working theory,

If I can figure out the freezer situation soon, I may try a ground blind because, a) I wouldn’t need to buy camo, b) I can also use it for turkeys in the spring, and, c) it will give some protection from the elements in the rain and the cold, meaning I won’t need the more expensive outerwear as badly right away. Maybe I’m missing something though.

Lowg08

WKR
I had quit hunting for years and last year I jumped back in. I learned a valuable lesson. None of the equipment works or matters if your froze to death. Make sure you get your clothing set up. You can always sit on the ground and hunt leaned up on a tree. You won’t sit long froze out

Don’t skip this year due to lack of gear!!!

Experience is more valuable than any gear. And after one season in the woods you will better know what you want and need.

You will need a rangefinder and tree stand. You can get by without binos

You probably have some boots and cold weather clothing already. Hell you can hunt and be warm in a couple pairs of sweatpants, fleece jacket. Layer up
With what you have. You don’t need all the high end gear to hunt whitetail. It is nice and it helps keep you comfortable, but for day trip hunting you can freeze your but off and go home and take a hot shower. You can tough out some things that you couldn’t on a week long, late season backpack hunt in the mountain west.

Just get out and get started. Do you have a hunting mentor or co-worker/family member who could help get you started? Most guys who have been doing this for awhile (including myself) probably have enough gear in their closets to outfit 3-4 hunters.

Good luck and happy hunting.

wayoh22

WKR
With all the equipment purchases that have to be made, ive pretty much decided I’ll have to skip this year and wait until next year. I don’t even have a freezer to store game in! My plan is to come up with a list of stuff and start slowly buying it over the next year so I am set for next season. This approach will also let me spend more on each item so that I end up with higher quality gear. Or at least that’s my working theory,

If I can figure out the freezer situation soon, I may try a ground blind because, a) I wouldn’t need to buy camo, b) I can also use it for turkeys in the spring, and, c) it will give some protection from the elements in the rain and the cold, meaning I won’t need the more expensive outerwear as badly right away. Maybe I’m missing something though.

A place to keep the hard earned meet is a must as well. Maybe a friend has a freezer? Also it's worth noting not to chase "camo". You're buying gear. Camo is nice and all but functional gear in any solid colors will work. I've mainly gone to solids over the past year or so and it works just as well.

Ground blind sounds like the right decision to me. You can layer up in anything just as PantherCity said.

Lowg08

WKR
It’s amazing how valuable just being in the woods learning even for next year.

OP
M
A place to keep the hard earned meet is a must as well. Maybe a friend has a freezer? Also it's worth noting not to chase "camo". You're buying gear. Camo is nice and all but functional gear in any solid colors will work. I've mainly gone to solids over the past year or so and it works just as well.

Ground blind sounds like the right decision to me. You can layer up in anything just as PantherCity said.

I have been wondering just how important camo really was for hunting out of a tree stand. It seems to me that people killed many thousands of game animals in this country long before the invention of modern camouflage. I had been thinking about just buying some insulated carharrts and maybe some carharrt rain gear and giving it a shot. They are solid clothes I can use for more than just hunting and they are a heck of a lot cheaper than the hunting specific clothes I have seen so far.

The freezer thing is still a problem though. I need to get that figured out before I kill anything.

Lowg08

WKR
Allot of my clothes are solid. I just look at function. Also I buy once cry once

Michael54

WKR
In all honesty you need a way to kill game (bow or gun), a way to process it (a knife), and a hunting license. Dress appropriately for the weather. Ameristep doghouse is probably my favorite ground blind but i don't bow hunt. Alot of the stuff people are listing is overwhelming. Start with what you have and decide for yourself thoughtfully about what you need for each following season based off of the previous seasons experience. I have high end stuff and low end stuff. Ive accumulated it over the years. If i decided to wait until i had everything gear wise i would have missed out on a ton of experience in the woods. So if you have the desire to do it just go do it.

OP
M
In all honesty you need a way to kill game (bow or gun), a way to process it (a knife), and a hunting license. Dress appropriately for the weather. Ameristep doghouse is probably my favorite ground blind but i don't bow hunt. Alot of the stuff people are listing is overwhelming. Start with what you have and decide for yourself thoughtfully about what you need for each following season based off of the previous seasons experience. I have high end stuff and low end stuff. Ive accumulated it over the years. If i decided to wait until i had everything gear wise i would have missed out on a ton of experience in the woods. So if you have the desire to do it just go do it.

I appreciate that feedback, and I think you are probably right. I have a tendency to over analyze things, and it seems that on some level I may have bought into some of the marketing from the big gear companies

Michael54

WKR
I appreciate that feedback, and I think you are probably right. I have a tendency to over analyze things, and it seems that on some level I may have bought into some of the marketing from the big gear companies

Oh i have been bitten by the gear bug lol. Its just one of those things where every year i find myself looking at stuff wondering why i ever wasted money on it. All 3 of the deer i got last year were in tan duluth fleece lined firehose pants and a heavy weight solid navy hoodie. It was more of a convenience thing. Not changing into camo gave me a few more minutes to do stuff around the house or a few more minutes of daylight in the woods. Also i've found its easier to stand out in a ground blind in camo than it is in a dark shirt/ jacket. If i can see someone sitting in one on the other side of one of our fields im pretty sure a deer can too.

woodson

FNG
Focus on finding a great couple of spots and then choose equipment based around the best opportunities. One piece of equipment you must use hunting from an elevated stand is a harness. Spinal cord injuries or serious fractures are one misstep or cheap strap away. Don't skimp on your life.

Minimum equipment in my opinion for public land Whitetail:
-Good clothes (doesn't have to be camo). Pack layers and gloves
-Small backpack or fanny pack to organize gear and hold extra clothes/snacks)
-Black plastic snowsled ($20 or less usually), makes drags way easier. Leave it in your vehicle, and after confirming a hit, back out and allow the animal to die. Leaving the sled in the vehicle usually allows at least a half an hour and will save you the heartache of bumping a deer before it expires.
-Harness
-Stand (climber will give you a lot of versatility)
-Rangefinder
-Knife
-Paracord or other line to raise or lower your bow from the tree
-Screw in bow hanger
-A plan on butchering your animal. This may mean a cooler in your vehicle

You can add binoculars and other stuff later as you save money. For stand hunting, binoculars are great but not essential.

I have taken dozens of deer with no more than the above hunting in Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky public land.

OP
M
I also should add, you don't need a 1000 yard rangefinder to start bowhunting. That can lower the entry price quite a bit.

Do you have any recommendations? I have been looking at units from leupold and vortex, is there anything else I should take a look at? I’m not afraid to spend a little more money to get something that won’t let me down.

Lowg08

WKR
I got my range finder off the classifieds for 60 bucks. Bushnell yardage pro. It works great I use it hunting and for 3D