Stainless Thread Protector

I honestly don’t think it matters much. I have gotten mine off of Amazon recently. Just find one that is close to the barrel size and go for it.

The only place mine wear theirs is in the safe anyway.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Cool, wasn't sure if a quality one is worth it or if a cheap one works just as well. Mine will be on in the safe, gun case in the truck, and the pack in/out.

Mrwoodard

FNG
I have bought several thread protectors and adapters from downrangeproducts.com. They have many different lengths and diameters to get pretty close to any contour.

kpk

WKR
Check out Midwest Gunworks, they have quite a few.

Marshfly

WKR
I just got a new Tikka back from being cut and threaded. The smith made a custom cap and the total price was extremely, ridiculously, reasonable.

Find better gunsmiths guys.

IMG_4598.jpeg

atmat

WKR
I just got a new Tikka back from being cut and threaded. The smith made a custom cap and the total price was extremely, ridiculously, reasonable.

Find better gunsmiths guys.

View attachment 599171
Haha mine is a super reputable and recommended gun smith. He just says it’s not worth his time to produce them for the cost you can buy one online.

atmat

WKR
I'm sure he is but I'd rather him do what I asked so that it looks factory.
I get that — to each his own. I could make a case that I’d rather use a guy who is so well-recommended and has enough work that he finds it futile to spend his time on small aesthetic trinkets.

And also, I couldn’t care less about it looking factory. My guns get so abused that it’s the least ugly piece on it. Plus the thread protectors are for the safe. The suppressor will stay on otherwise.

Marshfly

WKR
I've dealt with craftsmen my entire life. The one's that do the little extra detail things that make you smile are the one's that get my money. Guess we're just different.

atmat

WKR
Why do you guys need protectors at all. A wrap of electrical tape works just fine on your beat up rifles.
I dunno, that’s a good question. I guess for $20 I feel like it’s insurance for the rare times the gun is moving without a suppressor on it?

One of my rifles doesn’t have a protector because I never got around to ordering it lol

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This Tikka barrel at 20" isn't large enough to do anything more than 1/2x28. 9/16 requires 0.662 and it is ~0.649.
Like you said, find a better gunsmith. Mine added a flared collar to mine so no not sub par adapters or ugly muzzle attachment devices. Just direct thread 5/8x24, it’s awesome, no compromises, those little 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapters suck.

Attachments

• IMG_5968.jpeg
    IMG_5968.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4850.jpeg
    IMG_4850.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 18

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
I've dealt with craftsmen my entire life. The one's that do the little extra detail things that make you smile are the one's that get my money. Guess we're just different.

Most smiths can make you a blended thread protector no problem, but it’s a waste of their time/your money to include them on every chamber/thread job unless the customer wants one.

My rifles get a suppressor or brake thrown on when I get them and never see a thread protector again. I’d rather not pay for something that going to get thrown in a box and never used.