Stabs

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
Where in the columbia gorge are you located? I am in Oregon City and have my stab from last year (10" cant remember which one) that you can run for free. I switched to a back bar setup., not sure it made a whole lot of difference but I am a gear collector as I like to call it.

OP
ryryflyguy11
Where in the columbia gorge are you located? I am in Oregon City and have my stab from last year (10" cant remember which one) that you can run for free. I switched to a back bar setup., not sure it made a whole lot of difference but I am a gear collector as I like to call it.
Im over in HR area. I don't think I am allowed yet to PM tho. What do you mean that you switched back to bar set up. Like a side bar? I have been reading A LOT about all the set ups, and I am very interested in Side Bars, But I am super green at all this so I feel like I should use a regular stab at this time. I did email that same question to Rugged Pat about being very green and using a side bar. I feel like I wouldn't even know if it was helping me all that much. I did hit my local range up today and have been focusing on form, Anchor points, and today for the 1st time I tried shooting w/ both eyes open and it actually grouping quiet a bit actually.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
If I was just starting out and was not hunting elk with a heavy quiver/arrow hanging on the side, I probably wouldn't get a sidebar (depending on the bow).

With that said, the grunt package is a really great place to start and it can't hurt to have it. Can always play with it and just a small amount of weight, etc.

Norm555

WKR
I'm another fan of rugged patriot stabilizers. I've been using their mico diameter "operator" stabilizers. A side bar is not necessary but I sure think it helps me a lot.

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from just a 10" stab up front to running a 15" up front and a 12" side bar (some call it a back bar). Like I said though I dont know that it really did much for me. I am a tinkerer, and when I got a new bow I couldn't help but buy the upgrade and try out having a side bar. PM me when you can and if we can meet up I can give you the one from last year. If you ever decide to try a new set up with a side bar just pass that one along to someone new.

OP
ryryflyguy11
If I was just starting out and was not hunting elk with a heavy quiver/arrow hanging on the side, I probably wouldn't get a sidebar (depending on the bow).

With that said, the grunt package is a really great place to start and it can't hurt to have it. Can always play with it and just a small amount of weight, etc.
I am starting out, but I am hunting Deer, Elk. I am over in Oregon and I was wondering the same too about having my quiver on, mostly I believe we do Spot/Stalk. I dont know exactly tho, I am going to ask around the range here in the Gorge.

OP
ryryflyguy11
I switched from just a 10" stab up front to running a 15" up front and a 12" side bar (some call it a back bar). Like I said though I dont know that it really did much for me. I am a tinkerer, and when I got a new bow I couldn't help but buy the upgrade and try out having a side bar. PM me when you can and if we can meet up I can give you the one from last year. If you ever decide to try a new set up with a side bar just pass that one along to someone new.
For sure, I head to Tigard once or twice a month. My buddies are gonna take me over to the Sherwood Range this week too. We all are pretty green. I think Ill be able to PM in a few days.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Rugged Pat stab the price is actually reasonable.

I think you should just pull the trigger on the Rugged Patriot setup. It will last you a really long time and they are great quality.

I bought a new 2020 Elite Kure this season (first new bow in 9 years) has a MBG 3 pin slider, tight spot, and the new Ripcord Lok. Bought two SX3 releases this season, a new pack, built new arrows with IW broad heads, collars and inserts, applied in 6 western states, etc.

The point being, I have no problem spending money on hunting and high quality gear....and I use Rugged Patriot and see no reason to replace them. They are as good as any other stabilizer company, are vets, and made in the US.

You will have them for a very long time.

OP
ryryflyguy11
Sherwood range? I work in Sherwood. If you let me know what day and time I might be able to meet up with you.
sorry for the delay Ive been hitting my studying pretty hard. I went to HS in Sherwood! It was way smaller back then 2002. That would be awesome to meet up. It might be a little bit before I head that way tho I have an exam thats pretty heavy material (Mortgage Loan Originator Exam) a lot harder then I thought! Im looking at the 10" XO but Im not exactly sure if that is the winner. I have to go and try them out soon. Im also eyeballing the NCO. 10" I don't freakin know tho. They all look and sound good.

Kai Truax

WKR
Shrewd and bee stinger make a good one I use a bee stinger and it seems to hold up just fine I wouldn’t recommend a side bar I don’t shoot one but it’s personal preference

OP
ryryflyguy11
Shrewd and bee stinger make a good one I use a bee stinger and it seems to hold up just fine I wouldn’t recommend a side bar I don’t shoot one but it’s personal preference
I agree, Im gonna start w/o a side bar for now. Im pretty new at this point so I just need something better than my stock stab that came with my PSE

OP
ryryflyguy11
Besides Bee Stinger, and Rugged Pat, is there any solid Stabs for under $100? Im not going to run a side bar yet. I hunt spot and stalk mostly here in Oregon. I am leaning toward a 10" But not positive yet. My local shop does have Bee and they are pretty damn solid. Im just doing my normal analysis paralysis at this point and would love to hear about some other options out there. USA made if possible!
Thanks for any info!

Oseary

FNG
Besides Bee Stinger, and Rugged Pat, is there any solid Stabs for under $100? Im not going to run a side bar yet. I hunt spot and stalk mostly here in Oregon. I am leaning toward a 10" But not positive yet. My local shop does have Bee and they are pretty damn solid. Im just doing my normal analysis paralysis at this point and would love to hear about some other options out there. USA made if possible!
Thanks for any info!
I’ve been going through a process that sounds similar to the one you went through last year, and I would be psyched to hear if you have any takeaways or lessons learned from it. I’m currently going from my stock Hoyt nubbin (don’t know the real name) stabilizer to a shrewd 10” front stab, but I’m wondering if I should actually go to a longer one instead. I have been reading a lot of posts from people that sound like they advocate for 14-15” front stabs in order to feel a meaningful difference. I’m open to this, but a little worried about the form factor of having a big stab like that when moving through the woods. (I’m focused on deer and elk in WA.)

Did you settle on a front stab length?