Stabilizers for Hunting only Bow

AkRyan

WKR
I found that a stabilizer does not improve my accuracy so I haven't used one in at least 10 years. I shoot plenty well out to 70-80. Past that and my pins are too big to hold fine enough.
Hold on do you shoot traditional? Now your being the smart ass lol

WoodBow

WKR
Hold on do you shoot traditional? Now your being the smart ass lol
Not being a smart ass....this time. I shoot both. It comes and goes in waves. Currently I am primarily hunting with a compound.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Have you adjusted to weight on the bars or tried different lengths? I tried a pare of boots once that I didn't like but I still like boots just not those ones. Not trying to be a smart ass but physics are physics and a heavier bow with weight outfront and back to balance will always be more accurate you just need to find the right combination.
No I did not play around with it much. Mainly because I don't care enough about it. I'm shooting softball groups at 70 and that is plenty good enough for me. Realistically I hate shooting past 30 when hunting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
@AaronMColeman I like the quivalizer. It's a little long but it does reduce the # of things attached to your bow slightly...

On the other hand I haven't killed an elk since I put it on there so draw your own conclusions :ROFLMAO:

OP
A
@AaronMColeman I like the quivalizer. It's a little long but it does reduce the # of things attached to your bow slightly...

On the other hand I haven't killed an elk since I put it on there so draw your own conclusions :ROFLMAO:
Not killing an elk is rarely the fault of archery equipment. For me it's always not being able to find those freaking 700lb hide and seek champs.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I got a bee stinger counter slide just a couple days ago. Was not using a stabilizer prior to that. What made me want one was, the possibility of shooting a bit further when I take my bow elk hunting, and, the main accuracy issue I found I was having was torquing the bow due to the weight of everything being on one side of it. The offset nature of the counter slide really helps balance it out nicely. Not something that caused an issue within 30 yards and shooting from a tree stand. But, practicing a little further out, I feel it helps.

VLDAVE

FNG
Titanium rods can have heat shrink put around them. Very low weight.. This set up , minus the weights, I think is around 5-6 oz including bars and connectors with hardware.

36361356_2068633180054761_8897030517510111232_n.jpg

I use the 15" Bee Stinger Counter slide to keep the weight down a tad from 2 QD mounts etc while still giving some balance and staying somewhat compact.

87TT

WKR
It ain' t a low rider but I got a '47 Plymouth Coupe with curb feelers. It was a thing back in the day.

And yes I can tell the difference with or without a stabilizer. Currently a 10" Fuse.

I’ve tried to love a Quivalizer but when there’s wind man it’s tough. I need to offset that weight on the quiver and it changes my poi if I don’t shoot with a B- stinger counter slide or back bar. The counter slide isn’t too much sticking out.

jmez

WKR
I use a 12 inch Bar on the front. Significantly decreases my pin float,

Stabilizers are not a one size fits all or something you can just buy and throw on your bow. You need to test them with multiple lengths and weights. I have a buddy that is a competitive 3D shooter and he sent me his entire stabilizer set up. Multiple different bars and weights. When you get the right combination it is definately an AHA moment. There is no question. Your pin float goes to nearly 0 with no effort. Change weight by 1 oz and it makes a huge difference.

Personally I like as few things as possible dangling off my bow, pack, body, everything when I'm in the woods. I've always been able to get the bow to balance pretty well with a tight spot quiver, so I've never really considered a quiver. So this is very much a question about a problem that doesn't really exist.

So why do you use a stabilizer on a hunting bow? My experience has been that modern bows balance really nicely without one and it's just added bulk and stuff to get caught on stuff when walking around. I'm open to playing around with a stabilizer, I just don't really see the need for one hunting.

The two answers I came up with are: 1) don't fix what isn't broken...but that's not gonna happen, we are on a hunting forum where the goal is to fix problems that dont' exist :) and 2) I'm not good enough with a bow to see a difference but better guys would see some benefit from a stabalizer.
I’m with you on this.
1- don’t want extra junk that can get hung up.
2- don’t want to carry the extra weight.
3- I limit myself to about 40 yards and I’m not good enough for it to make a noticeable difference.
4- my little Mathews Creed XS seems to balance just fine all by itself.

I made the switch from trad bow to compound in 2014 and it was such a huge jump in range with less time investment that I’ve been happy with it.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i really like my crossover stabilizer, can play with different lengths while practicing to find where i get my best hold and can put it all the way in while going though the thick stuff and then put it out before i make a shot.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’m also a Crossover stabilizer user, 821. It allows me to use a short setup from a tree stand and longer in the open.

My favorite thing about a stabilizer when I’m hunting is using it to hold my bow across my pack/shoulders when I’m moving. It makes it easier to manage the bow in the field.

Interesting thread. I recently got a tight spot and by moving it back and forth along with left and right I’m thinking about ditching my back bar. Has anyone else done this after getting a tight spot?