Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 Pre Review.

They are offering it in the 7prc. I am a 7RM fan but my next rifle will be a 7prc.
I've seen people talking about this and that it will drop in 2023 but I can't find anything from Springfield on it. Any more details available? This rifle is 7 PRC would effectively eliminate the need for me to have any other hunting rig. It's gonna be the perfect balance of so very many things.

They are offering it in the 7prc. I am a 7RM fan but my next rifle will be a 7prc.
I had no idea they were going to have it in 7prc. That would be great. I'm strongly considering the Savage 110 Ultralight in 7prc due to the PROOF barrel (and $1000) cheaper than the waypoint.
I've seen people talking about this and that it will drop in 2023 but I can't find anything from Springfield on it. Any more details available? This rifle is 7 PRC would effectively eliminate the need for me to have any other hunting rig. It's gonna be the perfect balance of so very many things.
Agreed

264 MHC

FNG
Bighorn Origin - $900
Carbon 6 Prefit - $750
AG Alpine Hunter - $700
Triggertech Primary - $150
Hawkins Hunter DBM - $220
Magpul Mag - $35
5 Flush Cups - $50
Seekins M-Lok Stock Rail - $65
Brake/Suppressor adapter - $60
Do all the work yourself - $Whats your Time Worth

Total - $2930 plus your time

This Waypoint is a hell of a deal for basically the same components. Could buy this rifle and a barrel in the cartridge of your choice and still come out ahead with a lot less work over building from the ground up.

Midyrvt

FNG
I have been looking to purchase a waypoint 2020 in 6.5cm. I appreciate everyone’s take on this rifle. For those of you that have it, do you recommend the adjustable or non-adjustable stock? This will mostly be used for hunting and as of now I am planning on putting a VX-5hd on the rifle. Also how do you feel it compares to CA’s Mesa or Ridgeline rifles? Thanks…

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
The non-adjustable stock is fine for me and shaves 12oz from bare weight. With medium Talley rings on a zeiss 4-16x44 the height is perfect. (I am not using the included base to shave a bit of weight and The scope would clear with low rings but the bolt hits the magnification ring at low height)
It is really an amazing rifle for the money… it can be found for under $2k with the carbon barrel and fixed stock and, as has been mentioned, the components used would cost you about that. I am hoping shot shot yields an announcement of new chamberings!

I’m concerned with this gun, I have a brand new (unfired) 6.5 PRC.

I did a quick bore sight, then I put some rounds in the mag to cycle the action. Something feels funky, like the mag is super tight and is causes a little bit of a heavy bolt. Looking at the rounds once they are ejected they are all scratched up on the side and bottom of the casing.

The PRC has a Metal Mag, Could this be a Mag issue?

Is this typical for a new rifle? Does it just need to be shot and cycled?

Attachments

• C12296B7-6039-4D7C-81E6-A388FE1B2F7B.jpeg
    C12296B7-6039-4D7C-81E6-A388FE1B2F7B.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 50
  • C713DD5A-23DA-4FD6-8504-80A15B9376AD.jpeg
    C713DD5A-23DA-4FD6-8504-80A15B9376AD.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 51
  • 6963484A-B5B4-4099-970B-3A0C72955620.jpeg
    6963484A-B5B4-4099-970B-3A0C72955620.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I’m concerned with this gun, I have a brand new (unfired) 6.5 PRC.

I did a quick bore sight, then I put some rounds in the mag to cycle the action. Something feels funky, like the mag is super tight and is causes a little bit of a heavy bolt. Looking at the rounds once they are ejected they are all scratched up on the side and bottom of the casing.

The PRC has a Metal Mag, Could this be a Mag issue?

Is this typical for a new rifle? Does it just need to be shot and cycled?
That sounds and looks like a mag issue… definitely not present in my 308 version. I did snag a Hawkins Precision Mag and it is a crazy tight fit… definitely doesn’t drop free when you press the release as the mag well is really tight.

That sounds and looks like a mag issue… definitely not present in my 308 version. I did snag a Hawkins Precision Mag and it is a crazy tight fit… definitely doesn’t drop free when you press the release as the mag well is really tight.
Thanks, I just spoke to Springfield and they said it's typical for a brand new gun/mag. Suggested I shoot it and cycle some rounds. I haven't cleaned the gun yet, I'm going to give it a good cleaning and some oil.

I'm also looking at the Hawkins mag, might grab one after I put some rounds down range. Now, just need it stop snowing.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Just as an FYI, the Hawkins mag does sit flush but mine did not drop free. I modified the mag since modifying the rifle was not gonna be my plan
9CE27FAC-6891-4681-9E04-01E25A7C3BAD.jpeg

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
File then sand... knocked through the anodizing where I could see rub marks... kept going till no more rub marks then sanded to 600grit. Not an ideal situation but functions smoothly now and I like the mag overall.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
New to the family, bought a 6.5PRC from Rokslider. The gun shoots lights out but I do have similar mag issues.

After a lot of cycling, 30 rounds down the tube, and some more cycling the action is still jumpy, rough, inconsistent. I believe this is a mag issue. I know for sure I cannot chamber this rifle within 200 yards of an animal without scaring it a mile away. The feed is so loud and then the spring "dioionioniongggs" for a few seconds after that, even with another round in the mag. It's ridiculous. Is everyone else's PRC with the metal mag like this? The cartridges are definitely scratched up as well.

On the FB page for waypoint it looks like Hawkins said they are talking to Springfield about their mag that is having issues as well as noted above.

Is there any alternative anywhere?

I'll go ahead and tell on myself as I am a novice and made a mistake when I got this gun. I thought the darn thing had the wrong barrel or something was wrong. The bolt was not smooth, cartridges where getting jammed, the feed with a mag was horrendous. The bullet seemed to be unusually tight and I grabbed a patch that was thicker than what I normally use to clean the barrel and it wouldn't go in. All these things together freaked me out and I told the seller and Springfield. After they made me feel comfortable about the barrel being ok I did go fire it and it shoots incredible. That being said, this action/feeding/mag issue is poor for a gun in this price range. It's really made me appreciate my Tikka.

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking to purchase a waypoint 2020 in 6.5cm. I appreciate everyone’s take on this rifle. For those of you that have it, do you recommend the adjustable or non-adjustable stock? This will mostly be used for hunting and as of now I am planning on putting a VX-5hd on the rifle. Also how do you feel it compares to CA’s Mesa or Ridgeline rifles? Thanks…
Excellent scope choice, I have it on my Lupo 270 win, and it is great for my 600 target practice, extremely easy to use specially after adding CDS.
I was gonna go with waypoint 6.5 PRC but the ballistic's performance is not far from my 270 win. I wish they make it in 7 rem mag

Larry100

FNG
I have one in 6.5 PRC with carbon fiber barrel. Have shot 4 boxes of ammo through it in last month of ownership.
Love the adjustable stock. Will never buy a rifle without one again. The AG Hunter stock feels premium and quality in you hand. Grip angle is good BUT it can be a little more vertical for my liking. The metal magazine leaves much to be desired but I just bought a Hawkins one for easy fix.

When and IF this rifle is available in 7PRC or 300 win mag ...take my money.

I am in absolute love with this gun.

I also put a 4 port muzzle brake on it from Nathan's muzzle brakes and more. It's about the 4th or 5th brake I purchased from the man. Anyways, this 4 port turns this factory soft shooter into basically non existent recoil that allows you to stay in your scope.

New to the family, bought a 6.5PRC from Rokslider. The gun shoots lights out but I do have similar mag issues.

After a lot of cycling, 30 rounds down the tube, and some more cycling the action is still jumpy, rough, inconsistent. I believe this is a mag issue. I know for sure I cannot chamber this rifle within 200 yards of an animal without scaring it a mile away. The feed is so loud and then the spring "dioionioniongggs" for a few seconds after that, even with another round in the mag. It's ridiculous. Is everyone else's PRC with the metal mag like this? The cartridges are definitely scratched up as well.

On the FB page for waypoint it looks like Hawkins said they are talking to Springfield about their mag that is having issues as well as noted above.

Is there any alternative anywhere?

I'll go ahead and tell on myself as I am a novice and made a mistake when I got this gun. I thought the darn thing had the wrong barrel or something was wrong. The bolt was not smooth, cartridges where getting jammed, the feed with a mag was horrendous. The bullet seemed to be unusually tight and I grabbed a patch that was thicker than what I normally use to clean the barrel and it wouldn't go in. All these things together freaked me out and I told the seller and Springfield. After they made me feel comfortable about the barrel being ok I did go fire it and it shoots incredible. That being said, this action/feeding/mag issue is poor for a gun in this price range. It's really made me appreciate my Tikka.
Contact Springfield if you have not. I bought a handgun from them that had feeding issues. Spoke to customer service, answered a couple questions, downloaded a mail in label (for free shipping), had it back two weeks later and has never had a problem since. A receipt listed everything they did to the gun. From my experience, good customer service.