My 1st Mountain Lion experience

IDShane

WKR
I got my first Mountain Lion here in Idaho last night after hunting a few weekends and had a blast. I hired local guide Harry Youren to take me out on a guided lion hunt with his dogs. We started a few weekends ago chasing them on the weekends with him checking tracks during the week also. These guys get started pretty early in the morning and they really did a great job putting up with this novice hunter's many questions. The first weekend was pretty tough we had snow but it was during our hunt which is not ideal. We went even earlier last weekend and got on some tracks but still did not find the right cat. I got an inreach text yesterday just before noon that they found a good track. I was able to get to the spot mid-later afternoon and after a brief snowmobile ride we got off and began the 1.1 (as the crow flies) hike in . I am going to guess that I fell no less than 40 times on the slippery slopes that had 12-16" of wet packed snow. I dragged my beaten and bruised 50 yo ass up the mountain to where the dogs had my cat treed and caught my breath I shot my lion with my 30/30 and after a short run downhill he was done. I can't say enough about Harry, Teddy, Hamish, and Matt these guys are the real deal.

Attachments

• Cougar picture.jpg
    Cougar picture.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Cougar Pic #2.jpg
    Cougar Pic #2.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Cougar pic #4.jpg
    Cougar pic #4.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Cougar pic #5.jpg
    Cougar pic #5.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 283

mntnguide

WKR
I guided with Harry in the Frank many years ago. One of the best cowboy's and houndsmen I know. Good group of guys to be in the mountains with

Crusader

WKR
I got my first Mountain Lion here in Idaho last night after hunting a few weekends and had a blast. I hired local guide Harry Youren to take me out on a guided lion hunt with his dogs. We started a few weekends ago chasing them on the weekends with him checking tracks during the week also. These guys get started pretty early in the morning and they really did a great job putting up with this novice hunter's many questions. The first weekend was pretty tough we had snow but it was during our hunt which is not ideal. We went even earlier last weekend and got on some tracks but still did not find the right cat. I got an inreach text yesterday just before noon that they found a good track. I was able to get to the spot mid-later afternoon and after a brief snowmobile ride we got off and began the 1.1 (as the crow flies) hike in . I am going to guess that I fell no less than 40 times on the slippery slopes that had 12-16" of wet packed snow. I dragged my beaten and bruised 50 yo ass up the mountain to where the dogs had my cat treed and caught my breath I shot my lion with my 30/30 and after a short run downhill he was done. I can't say enough about Harry, Teddy, Hamish, and Matt these guys are the real deal.
Congratulations! Is Harry they guy who with his brother is on the TV show "Mountain Men?"

Crusader

WKR
Cool. It's TV and who knows how the filming/acting is as far as reality but on the show he seems like a good guy, as well as his brother. Thinking his name is Kit but I don't recall for sure. Harry has some insane boat making skills, that's for sure.

BrentVA

FNG
Congratulations Shane! That’s quite a trophy and accomplishment. I can’t wait to see the mount.