Spine question. Simple yes or no im guessing

Mdk_archer88

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm picking my v3x29 uo next week and I'm planning on getting arrows built while I'm there. I found a dozen 5mm axis match grade for cheap but they are .240 spine. I'm shooting 55lbs at a 28 inch DL. The arrows are 27.5 carbon to carbon. Can I shoot these arrows just fine even though they're waaay over spine? Everything I'm reading says over spining is fine but how much is too much? I'll be using the Hamskea Epsilon drop away rest.

Trial153

WKR
Way stiff. Personally I wouldn’t do it. I don’t mind to be slightly over but not that stiff. There is a difference between being able to tune an arrow for a set up and tuning a forgiving set up.

I would use an arrow that is slightly on the stiff side of the middle of your spine range.

Zac

WKR
They are 260 spine. Could it work, yes. However you are putting a giant amount of GPI in the shaft. Doesn't leave you much room to put any weight on the front or the back. Definitely not ideal, especially with the Axis which is already a beefy shaft.

Can you do it? Sure. What's the downside? Less forgiveness. If you take a perfect shot, like hooter shooter level perfect, a signficantly overspined arrow will fly true. The problem comes in when you apply any type of torque to the string as you release the shot (like what's probably going to happen when you have shit in your shorts and a 160 heart rate with a monster bull/buck in front of you). With an arrow that's too stiff it won't be able to true itself after leaving the bow, causing it to fly off course to the right (for a fight handed shooter).

Either nut up and pull 20 more lbs (totally unecessary) or just buy the correct spine arrows for your setup.

I have shot .260 spine (2712's) @ 50# cut to 30" with a 28.5 dl, think I had 300 or 325 grains in the front, and that's still way stiff.

I'm wondering if they are 260's or 340's. Given I'm pretty certain you are a number off, if they are 340's by chance it wouldn't be bad.

Reactions: Zac

mlgc20

WKR
No. IMO, if you're going to drop the coin on a V3, spend a few extra bucks and get the right arrows.

No, those arrows are way to stiff, you should be in the 400-350. IMO if you are getting a V3X get the right arrows for it. Don't get a great bow and then get arrows that won't tune and match with that setup.

Hunt4Wade

FNG
So I'm picking my v3x29 uo next week and I'm planning on getting arrows built while I'm there. I found a dozen 5mm axis match grade for cheap but they are .240 spine. I'm shooting 55lbs at a 28 inch DL. The arrows are 27.5 carbon to carbon. Can I shoot these arrows just fine even though they're waaay over spine? Everything I'm reading says over spining is fine but how much is too much? I'll be using the Hamskea Epsilon drop away rest.
Like others said. It is way stiff. Overspining is better than under spining in my eyes but will cause a right tear. Therefore compromising your arrow flight compared to what it could be. If that is going to be your hunting set up for any length of time, I’d put in the effort to get that thing dialed in perfectly.

No, get some inexpensive, but effective, and great value black eagle outlaws.
Being that stiff will work but be very unforgiving of form flaws

Last edited:

bow-hunt

FNG
They are definitely over spined. Your could try it, but you probably will have a hard time tuning it. If you can, add some point weight. With my Black Eagle arrows, you can add weight to insert through the back end of the arrow.

Toby0415

FNG
Will they shoot? Yes They may be a little critical of any form or shot execution flaws but they’ll shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
If they are cheap enough and you feel good about the price, I'd say go ahead. Stiff? Yep, but I have always been about to tune a stiffer shaft without much issue. Bow will need to be in tune, and your form will need to be decent, but those things need to happen anyway right? They are good shafts and I'd bet you can get them to shoot just fine with a little work.

TonyG

FNG
Pretty stiff. I would jump to a 400 or a 390.

Take a few different brands and see what groups best for you. Then the fun begins.