Spin off from saddle hunter thread

Didn't want to hijack another thread. I've been contemplating a saddle for the last year as I see more than ever and have researched a little bit on them. However, my question is whether I will truly benefit from it. I live on my 20 acres that I hunt 100% of my hunts. I have to be very selective of when and where I hunt to minimize pressure, and to play the wind right. I also bowhunt 90% of the time. I'm on the western side of the "block", meaning our predominant winds here in west michigan are blowing into the bedding areas.

Would a saddle benefit me to play the wind in certain areas better and have 1 setup for any tree I've scouted throughout the year, say hunting the north side vs south side of a transition food plot off a travel route when the wind isn't perfect for a set stand? Or am I better off sticking with ladder stands/hang ons?

mthayr

WKR
I saddle hunt on public land, mainly because I can be mobile and it doesn't involve a lot of heavy gear to haul in/out. If I had my own private 20 acres, and could leave my stands up, I would do that. Much easier and quieter to just climb up into an existing stand than set steps or climb up a rope in the dark every time.

WoodBow

WKR
I agree. I would have a hang on stand for every wind scenario and call it good. Also you can totally use a saddle out of a hang on. Just wear it as your safety harness and if your butt gets tired of sitting, just stand up, turn facing the tree, and lean back into the saddle. Even in a saddle specific setup, i find myself leaning much for than sitting. If comfort is your concern, drop the coin on some milllenium stands and try to stay awake.

Fresch

FNG
I mostly 1 stick climb and repel saddle hunt but I have a few established trees on the back 40 that I have prepped with screw in steps for quick after work sets. It’s only slightly faster and quieter than 1 sticking but seconds count when sneaking in after work. I just climb the steps with my linesman rope, then setup just like I do when one sticking. I still repel down at the end night cause in my opinion it’s the fastest and safest (and definitely the funnest) way down. If I’m not set up on the ground I’m in my saddle. The maneuverability to make a shot and using the trunk for cover is a game changer, especially on established tree setups that you might hunt repeatedly on a small parcel where resident deer learn which trees to look up at.