Spear fishing a form of hunting?

Phaseolus

WKR
Keep in mind that in Florida it is illegal to spear lobster. Net or snare or catch by hand. I prefer a tickle stick after tickling a large moray out one time. Got your face 18” from the hole and out comes this moray head
This was Bahamas 1986, I have tickled and I have done the big shiny teeth thing too.

I am curious as to how many have actually done it and don't consider it hunting.
I fish with a rod and reel and consider it hunting when I get in the water with a spear gun. A few trips to the Caribbean for catch and release bonefish/tarpon/permit was fun but getting in the water with a spear gun when it was time to put something in the cooler for dinner was an absolute thrill.

Would y’all consider spear fishing a form of hunting?

Yes. Because you are actively seeking prey with a weapon to dispose it. Fishing is using an attractant or lure in hopes something takes it or comes to it.

Running and gunning for turkey or bugling/cow calling while walking up a ridge is really more "fishing" than hunting...

Last edited:
feels more like bowhunting than fishing but who cares enjoy it. . just go with a partner, shallow water blackout is a thing

Mikido

WKR
I’ve been spearing for 20 years, I don’t consider it hunting, bc….

• I’ve never NOT seen a fish
  • I’ve never travelled to spear and come back empty handed
  • I’ve shot way more “trophies” with less time in the water than in the woods

Many similarities, but it ain’t hunting. (And I consider myself a much better hunter than spearman)

OP
F
I would definitely consider it a form of hunting. It’s a lot harder than some people believe especially in Maui. Often times I’m down at 70+ feet hiding, grunting, and scratching the reef to try and bring the target species into range. I have also made quite a few guns from traditional wood/pipe guns to single and double rollers. Just need some basic carpentry skills and a couple YouTube videos plus all the components. Pm me if you have any questions regarding speargun building. Below are a couple pics of the build that I’m working on at the moment.

I definitely want to build some eventually so I most definitely will be reaching out!

OP
F
I’m honestly curious why you asked. Is it just a good discussion question or something else where the name would matter?

In any case I have enjoyed it whenever I’ve done it. As far as if it is hunting or fishing to me the only practical distinction is what type of license I need to do it.

Little bit of both, I’d consider it hunting but wanted to see how much experience people on here have with it, and some guys even built their own guns which is awesome because I love building my own equipment, so much more satisfying. And tbh did not expect the very distinct debate if it’s fishing or hunting lol