Spare pistol or not in the back country, a modest proposal.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Ok, he just does not know what he is talking about, using Buffalo Bore +P+ Penetrator at 465 ft lbs 33 rounds is 15,345 ft lbs,. Buffalo Bore 458 Lott is only 5,517 ft lbs. No way that is better, even 17 rounds of 9mm beats it at 7,905 ft lbs. I think does not know math very well.

Maverick1

WKR
So, because lots of things can go wrong with pistols that cannot be fixed with a spare mag (broken springs, cracked frames, or it could fall out of the holster) should I carry two pistols while rifle hunting in the back country?

It would probably be best to have a full sized and a compact that use the same magazines as that way I only have to carry one spare mag and can save a little weight. Something like a a G17 and a G19. Do you think three 33 round magazines will be enough (one in each gun and a spare) or perhaps just three 17 round mags, but that only gives me 51 rounds. 9mm is so light there is not much weight penalty. The spare mag is needed because it would be too slow to reload by pulling the mag out of the backup G19.

I'm pretty sure 17 rounds of 9mm is enough for a griz, but what if there are 3 of them hunting in a pack?

What is the best way to train to dual wield? Also, do I really need to learn braced contact shooting, that just sounds dangerous. I hear the best strategy is to shoot a charging bear as fast as you can and rapid fire 9mm is more accurate and deadly that one shot from the 458 lott my friend hunts deer with. I'm pretty sure my 223 will take a griz just fine, but I'm too slow working the bolt and don't want the weight of my AR. Perhaps I should just build a UL AR on a polymer lower?
Why stop at two? Change your user name to Migs Mayfield and have at it.

1676865530688.png

fwafwow

WKR
So, my friend with the 458 Lott is saying if I copy his 458 I only need to carry 3 rounds. One for the animal I'm hunting, one for a grizz, and one as a blankie for packing out after dropping the grizz. He says taking more than three rounds is stupid and just extra weight. He might have a good point.

He says grizz never hunt in packs and wolves don't hunt people. He also says the 458 Lott is accurate out past 500 yards. Just be sure and use a NF scope for reliability. He says recoil is not an issue, unless somebody is a little b****.

This is his. What due you guys think?View attachment 519238
Sweet! But what’s the bipod for? Tough hunters shoot freehand.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
On the other side of this, I remember a post from a guy who had a Glock 20. He shortened the grip to accept Glock 29 mags, and was asking about how far to download the magazine to save weight on the bullets he was carrying. He reasoned something like 6-8 shots was enough and the full 10 rounds in the mag was too much weight to carry. I believe at one point he was even considering carrying 2 mags (3-4 bullets in each) in case he lost the mag out of the gun. As far as I could tell it was a serious post.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
On the other side of this, I remember a post from a guy who had a Glock 20. He shortened the grip to accept Glock 29 mags, and was asking about how far to download the magazine to save weight on the bullets he was carrying. He reasoned something like 6-8 shots was enough and the full 10 rounds in the mag was too much weight to carry. I believe at one point he was even considering carrying 2 mags (3-4 bullets in each) in case he lost the mag out of the gun. As far as I could tell it was a serious post.
I was trying to mock myself a little with the 458 post (the Encore pictured is chambered in 308, but MGM will make a barrel in 458 Lott for anyone who wants one). I come closer to this side of things. A large amount of handgun ammo is just not needed in most of the back country.

Though, if weight was the driving factor a 10 mm would be lighter than the three pound 454 that I carry. I carry 12 rounds (so equivalent of 6 rounds per mag).

I figure, the best way to survive a bear is to assume you have one shot before it is chewing on you, consequently one should focus on making that shot count, which means holding fire and slowing down.

I carry a full reload because if I freak (not the plan, but happens to a lot of people, and it is folly to assume I will be better than them not having proven such) I will not be stuck with an empty gun if lucky enough to survive.

This is how it should be done. For most people, telling themselves they have a lot in the mag just gives mental permission to shoot too fast, you can never miss fast enough.