Southwestern hunting shelter advice

Grady

FNG
So I have been looking for, and doing research on different shelters for hunting the south west. I currently only stay a few nights a year while hunting but I'm planning on being more mobile and spending more nights in the field. As of now I just pack in a tarp and my mummy bag and sleep under the stars. Iv looked at some trekking pole tarps, one man tents, and bivys. I don't currently carry trekking poles but I may try them this year. Wondering what someone with experience would recommend or has used that works well for them. High winds arent normally a problem and temps range from 20s -40s at night. Not looking for ultra light but also space and weight is a commodity in my pack. What are your guys suggestions, and experiences? Thanks

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
Durston x mid is what I use here in Arizona. I definitely prefer a full shelter, go floorless here enough and eventually you’re gonna wake up spooning a rattler

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I like my tarp and bivy setup here in AZ. Too many things crawling around to not be enclosed in some form.

The only time I go floorless/not fully enclosed is when the night time temperatures are below freezing. I figure at that point, things shouldn't be moving enough to bother me.

OP
Grady

Grady

FNG
Awesome
I like my tarp and bivy setup here in AZ. Too many things crawling around to not be enclosed in some form.

The only time I go floorless/not fully enclosed is when the night time temperatures are below freezing. I figure at that point, things shouldn't be moving enough to bother me.
Do you stick to a trekking pole style tarp?

OP
Grady

Grady

FNG
Durston x mid is what I use here in Arizona. I definitely prefer a full shelter, go floorless here enough and eventually you’re gonna wake up spooning a rattler
Iv seen the company and name come up in other information I've been reading, ill look into it, thank you

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
@Grady, I have two flat tarps, the Seek Outside DST and the Borah Gear Solo tarp. I will use my trekking poles most of the time, unless there's a good natural object I can utilize.

If I was only going to have one tarp, it'd either be the DST or other similar 9'x9'-10'x10' square tarp. I find the Borah Solo tarp (5.8'x9') too small for any sort of serious inclement weather. I picked up the Borah tarp before the DST, which is the only reason I have it.

I also have one of the Borah Gear Bivys and it's been great. I don't get clostrophobic in it, and it still offers me the flexiblity to camp wherever. I've slept in deer beds on hillsides where pitching an actual tent isn't feasible.

OP
Grady

Grady

FNG
@Grady, I have two flat tarps, the Seek Outside DST and the Borah Gear Solo tarp. I will use my trekking poles most of the time, unless there's a good natural object I can utilize.

If I was only going to have one tarp, it'd either be the DST or other similar 9'x9'-10'x10' square tarp. I find the Borah Solo tarp (5.8'x9') too small for any sort of serious inclement weather. I picked up the Borah tarp before the DST, which is the only reason I have it.

I also have one of the Borah Gear Bivys and it's been great. I don't get clostrophobic in it, and it still offers me the flexiblity to camp wherever. I've slept in deer beds on hillsides where pitching an actual tent isn't feasible.
I looked up the borah gear bivy, is that just a bug net bivy you run under your tarp? Do you ever have problems getting state in to run a tarp setup? Thanks for the information, it's helping with my research bigtime.

OP
Grady

Grady

FNG
The x mid is slick looking, setup looks easy and it it seams to be very sturdy, did you got with the 1 man or 2?

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
@Grady I have the Ultralight Bivy. So it offers some light weather protection. The bug bivy would be more breathable, but you'd be trading a little bit of the weatherproofness.

OP
Grady

Grady

FNG
@Grady I have the Ultralight Bivy. So it offers some light weather protection. The bug bivy would be more breathable, but you'd be trading a little bit of the weatherproofness.
Okay I see the two now. Can you use the bivy with the bug net unzipped and your face open?

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Okay I see the two now. Can you use the bivy with the bug net unzipped and your face open?

Yes! If I'm not worried about bugs because of it being cold, I'll just sleep with the pad covering the mesh upper part. It works really well. And even with the mesh, it has never bothered me because it's so light.