Southwestern hunting shelter advice

Grady

FNG
So I have been looking for, and doing research on different shelters for hunting the south west. I currently only stay a few nights a year while hunting but I'm planning on being more mobile and spending more nights in the field. As of now I just pack in a tarp and my mummy bag and sleep under the stars. Iv looked at some trekking pole tarps, one man tents, and bivys. I don't currently carry trekking poles but I may try them this year. Wondering what someone with experience would recommend or has used that works well for them. High winds arent normally a problem and temps range from 20s -40s at night. Not looking for ultra light but also space and weight is a commodity in my pack. What are your guys suggestions, and experiences? Thanks

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
Durston x mid is what I use here in Arizona. I definitely prefer a full shelter, go floorless here enough and eventually you’re gonna wake up spooning a rattler

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I like my tarp and bivy setup here in AZ. Too many things crawling around to not be enclosed in some form.

The only time I go floorless/not fully enclosed is when the night time temperatures are below freezing. I figure at that point, things shouldn't be moving enough to bother me.

OP
Grady

Grady

FNG
Awesome
I like my tarp and bivy setup here in AZ. Too many things crawling around to not be enclosed in some form.

The only time I go floorless/not fully enclosed is when the night time temperatures are below freezing. I figure at that point, things shouldn't be moving enough to bother me.
Do you stick to a trekking pole style tarp?

OP
Grady

Grady

FNG
Durston x mid is what I use here in Arizona. I definitely prefer a full shelter, go floorless here enough and eventually you’re gonna wake up spooning a rattler
Iv seen the company and name come up in other information I've been reading, ill look into it, thank you

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
@Grady, I have two flat tarps, the Seek Outside DST and the Borah Gear Solo tarp. I will use my trekking poles most of the time, unless there's a good natural object I can utilize.

If I was only going to have one tarp, it'd either be the DST or other similar 9'x9'-10'x10' square tarp. I find the Borah Solo tarp (5.8'x9') too small for any sort of serious inclement weather. I picked up the Borah tarp before the DST, which is the only reason I have it.

I also have one of the Borah Gear Bivys and it's been great. I don't get clostrophobic in it, and it still offers me the flexiblity to camp wherever. I've slept in deer beds on hillsides where pitching an actual tent isn't feasible.