South Dakota

I never hear to much about South Dakota, what gives? Is it boring? How’s the hunting? Good public access? Lots of pressure? Anyone here have any insight? I’ve never been there and thought maybe it’d be worth checking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
It's warmer than North Dakota. Sturgis is there. Deadwood is there. Wall Drug is there. Cabelas is in Mitchell. Miles upon miles of good walleye fishing. Pheasants hiding under every rock. Antelope, two types of deer, lots of ground squirrels, a few prairie dogs. Residents can try for elk, goat and sheep tags in the Black Hills.

60 miles east of Rapid City it gets a little flat until you hit the river, then it gets slightly flat again until you hit the Great Lakes.

When I drive home to Montana I try to hit South Dakota at night, and get breakfast in Spearfish or Belle Fourche. My main fear is that the Wall Drug signs will lure me in if I see all 3000 of them in the daylight.

Jeremy

Tmac

WKR
SD gets little press. If you know what’s available in NE WY & SE MT, you have your answer for the most part for W SD. Similar opportunities and challenges in my experience. Really comes down to what type of hunting you prefer and if you can secure or find access.

nowen22

FNG
It's warmer than North Dakota. Sturgis is there. Deadwood is there. Wall Drug is there. Cabelas is in Mitchell. Miles upon miles of good walleye fishing. Pheasants hiding under every rock. Antelope, two types of deer, lots of ground squirrels, a few prairie dogs. Residents can try for elk, goat and sheep tags in the Black Hills.

60 miles east of Rapid City it gets a little flat until you hit the river, then it gets slightly flat again until you hit the Great Lakes.

When I drive home to Montana I try to hit South Dakota at night, and get breakfast in Spearfish or Belle Fourche. My main fear is that the Wall Drug signs will lure me in if I see all 3000 of them in the daylight.

Jeremy
Gotta get that free ice water

Mt Al

WKR
I've hunted there on two occasions, a total of 6 days of hunting, so I'd like to come off as an expert in everything to do with South Dakota.

I thought it was pretty awesome near Rapid City (public land, terrain and hills and trees), not so awesome East of the River hunting pheasants (flat/much grass). That's my opinion.

Spearfish would be an amazing place to live if a person put in for big game in Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota every year.

Wapiti1

WKR
And the people are cold and aloof too. Terrible place , almost as bad as North Dakota ; )

Careful. North Dakota is the second largest nuclear power on the planet, next to Montana, of course.

I agree with MT Al. Spearfish wouldn't be a bad place to live. A lot of access to a lot of things to do. If it were my life, though, and had a job in the Rapid City area, I'd live in WY and commute. Resident tags in WY would be worth every penny in gas.

Jeremy

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
The hunting and fishing suck but they have the 2 best tourist attractions in the country. Wall drug as already has been mentioned and the WORLDS ONLY corn palace in Mitchell. Any true American should spend at least a week of vacation at each in their life. Unforgettable experiences

OP
rooster440
The hunting and fishing suck but they have the 2 best tourist attractions in the country. Wall drug as already has been mentioned and the WORLDS ONLY corn palace in Mitchell. Any true American should spend at least a week of vacation at each in their life. Unforgettable experiences

What’s the corn palace?

Jc2020

FNG
[/QUOTE]

Wall drug is a neat place Aberdeen South Dakota is the pheasant capital of the world

8% tag allocation to non residents is very limiting.

Deer herd managed For opportunity

EAst River rifle is closed to non Residents

kri is a babe and has more brains and balls then most dudes I know

E6668A23-D094-4358-8239-261763F7FD54.jpeg

And unlike a lot of politicians she actually hunts and supports the second amendment.
AFF9A200-6025-484B-8173-B25ED7C49E63.jpeg

jmez

WKR
Also has great waterfowl and turkey hunting. Great place to live if you enjoy the outdoors

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

daewer

FNG
Have loved hunting pheasants and visiting family up around the Aberdeen area for years.