South Dakota Pheasant Hunt

In the starting phases of planning a South Dakota pheasant trip for my dad, uncle and 2 boys. Hopefully either going Nov. 2024 or 2025. This is a trip that they have asked me to put together. Both are in their mid to upper 60's but have lots of go still left in them. Putting in work and hunting hard will not be a problem. We have a couple dogs and have hunted wild pheasants before but wanting one trip the pheasant capital of the world. More than likely this will be over thanksgiving with 4-5 days of hunting and a couple days of travel. I would prefer DIY and wild birds. I have looked at the fish and game website and did some online research the last week or so. Anything advice/information would be appreciated. Feel free to PM if you want
Thanks

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Mid/late December would be better than thanksgiving in my opinion. Rifle deer season will be over and you will have substantially better luck getting permission to hunt private land

KurtR

WKR
Yep mid december after deer season you will get permission on alot more places and even the public wont be getting hit.

I just got back from South Dakota, finished up my second bird hunt there. It’s awesome, I saw more birds than I could count. Definitely needs to be done once.

Sherrif

FNG
I’ve heard a lot of stories about the high pheasant numbers there, but never have made it there to hunt. With the pheasant numbers low here in central Kansas, I should definitely look into it!

OP
M
Thanks for the heads up about deer season. Late December is a possibility might even work out better leaving after Christmas. I am sure weather will be a strong possibility. I have checked out the bird forum and will contact them. Definitely want to focus on wild birds but don’t mind hunting less pressured land.
Has anyone combined this with a guided waterfowl hunt. I have always wanted to hunt big birds coming into a set up.
Thanks

KurtR

WKR
Thanks for the heads up about deer season. Late December is a possibility might even work out better leaving after Christmas. I am sure weather will be a strong possibility. I have checked out the bird forum and will contact them. Definitely want to focus on wild birds but don’t mind hunting less pressured land.
Has anyone combined this with a guided waterfowl hunt. I have always wanted to hunt big birds coming into a set up.
Thanks
The goose season closed last saturday on most of the east side and you also have to apply for a license in july for waterfowl. It would be a real crap shoot as december most years we could be froze up tight. Could do a cast and blast as there are great walleye and perch lakes over east that are generally froze

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Got back from SD last night - love hunting in December, but last year got completely snowed out (had to cancel the trip). Two years ago had a great hunt; this year was excellent.

Used to hunt a farm in Eastern SD. Bowhunt in the morning, duck hunt till we got our limits then pheasant after lunch then back in the stand after we limited out. Even had time to run into town for lunch. Great times.

Used to hunt a farm in Eastern SD. Bowhunt in the morning, duck hunt till we got our limits then pheasant after lunch then back in the stand after we limited out. Even had time to run into town for lunch. Great times.
sounds familiar, we used to basically do the same minus we'd squeeze in a limit of walleye from the ditch.

Shoot me a message. I've got connections to some private land around Mitchell that I could possibly get you on after deer season.