South Dakota Cmon

KurtR

WKR
I am aware that disease, weather, etc beat up on Mule Deer and Antelope pretty bad and they are SLOW to come back....but that is a completely different discussion than NR archery hunters barely killing a handful of MD bucks in most units and being the focal point of the discussion. As an NR that has hunted S.D. a lot, I appreciate the low cost and relative ease of getting the tag and I am not against some adjustments but I have honestly (with the deer discussion) have not seen one thing recommended out of these SD organizations that would actual help deer populations. When I see a state wildlife organization even mention making adjustments to their opportunity or personal interest for the actual betterment of wildlife I'll die a happy man.

IMO with your post on how bad the MD hunting is SD is right on par with cost to hunt them. About dead even with the comparable states ND and NE.

Tribal lands can't really be factored into it because that is a separate governing body.
Tribal lands have to be figured in(they do a horrible job) as the deer dont know the borders and there is lots of deeded and private and public land with in the the reservation that is hunted with state tags pretty much all i hunt. They have taken mule deer does off the mentored list they have cut mule deer tags over all for rifle. They need to limit both resident and non resident any deer archery tags.

Fatcamp

WKR
Sounds like SD could limit the nonresident tags but the real problem is the number of total tags being sold during rifle season. Maybe there should be an overall limit on what is being sold. regardless if it is resident or nonresident

All MD rifle tags are draw.

KurtR

WKR
Good on ya

seems like a great state, hopefully y’all can keep it that way!

good news is Commiefornians don’t like that kinda cold
We had a couple move here last fall and they thought it was nice house was for sale in February and we had a mild winter last year haha

KurtR

WKR
Haha nice!

that’s what we’re begging for in Idaho
about 10 years of terrible winters
but its just a pipe dream
My brother moved to star id five years ago and has a californian move in across the street. Some interesting experience he had a deer hanging and the guy came un glued walked in his garage and told my brother to take that down. Next he was coming home from hunting and guy flipped a shit he was carrying his rifle from his pick up to garage. Those people live in a whole different world than our country asses out here. I think the slogan out there is f$&cking Californians as I here it a lot when I visit haha

Fatcamp

WKR
My brother moved to star id five years ago and has a californian move in across the street. Some interesting experience he had a deer hanging and the guy came un glued walked in his garage and told my brother to take that down. Next he was coming home from hunting and guy flipped a shit he was carrying his rifle from his pick up to garage. Those people live in a whole different world than our country asses out here. I think the slogan out there is f$&cking Californians as I here it a lot when I visit haha

I'd buy a cheap RWD car just to do burnouts.

Seriously. 😐

Gobbler36

WKR
Haha it’s funny but it’s no joke.
we lived in Eagle, ID for a while before moving to a different part of town and the looks I would get when I’d be skinning deer heads or hanging quarters in my garage was hilarious

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
So how are you saving deer if the deer aren't being killed? You really think there are that many guys out there chasing deer around and they are dying of exhaustion? And there may be a select few areas where "pressure" increased but I have hunted one of the more talked about or popular areas of SD for Mule Deer and have seen maybe 8 or 9 guys actually out in the field hunting while I was out there over many years. No idea where this army of NRs is hiding out chasing animals to death...

Now I will say the Antelope hunting in mid Sept is a zoo...but that is cured by walking over the first ridge off the road and you are away from all the road hunters. Again...are the running the animals to exhaustion? Are the pushing them off wintering grounds?
"Walking over the ridge cures all that..." used to be true, but no more. Fall of 2020 I walked in 2 miles to a place we'd only seen ONE hunter in the previous 4 or 5 years, and I saw at least 6 hunting groups wandering around. YouTube has absolutely increased pressure in those places 'over the ridge.'

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
"Walking over the ridge cures all that..." used to be true, but no more. Fall of 2020 I walked in 2 miles to a place we'd only seen ONE hunter in the previous 4 or 5 years, and I saw at least 6 hunting groups wandering around. YouTube has absolutely increased pressure in those places 'over the ridge.'
Yeah but if their not actually killing deer it doesn’t matter. 🙄

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah but if their not actually killing deer it doesn’t matter. 🙄
It certainly matters when the increased pressure pushes the animals onto private; or in the case of where I was antelope hunting 2 years ago, pushes 60-65 goats literally across the state line.🤷‍♂️

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
It certainly matters when the increased pressure pushes the animals onto private; or in the case of where I was antelope hunting 2 years ago, pushes 60-65 goats literally across the state line.🤷‍♂️
I completely agree. My comment was made in jest from an earlier post