South Dakota Cmon

Fatcamp

WKR
I have no faith in non-mandatory report numbers. People lie, and it doesn't take much thought to understand why.

isu22andy

WKR
Ha , we got the same message on our Iowa plates 3 years ago north of Belle Fourche. The hand writing was so terrible it looked like 5 year old wrote it .

WCB

WKR
Just because they aren’t harvesting a lot of deer doesn’t mean non-residents aren’t putting more pressure on the land and deer. I think total tag numbers given out to non-resident archery hunters from the previous 5-10 years would give a better indication of their “affect” that residents are seeing in hunting pressure
So how are you saving deer if the deer aren't being killed? You really think there are that many guys out there chasing deer around and they are dying of exhaustion? And there may be a select few areas where "pressure" increased but I have hunted one of the more talked about or popular areas of SD for Mule Deer and have seen maybe 8 or 9 guys actually out in the field hunting while I was out there over many years. No idea where this army of NRs is hiding out chasing animals to death...

Now I will say the Antelope hunting in mid Sept is a zoo...but that is cured by walking over the first ridge off the road and you are away from all the road hunters. Again...are the running the animals to exhaustion? Are the pushing them off wintering grounds?

Rich M

WKR
Crazy how much the Res complain about NR - everywhere.

So folks cry when someone hunts their deer but they travel all over the place on vacations, or travel to hunt. Kind of nutty, but makes perfect sense to those doing it. Hypocrites.

KurtR

WKR
So how are you saving deer if the deer aren't being killed? You really think there are that many guys out there chasing deer around and they are dying of exhaustion? And there may be a select few areas where "pressure" increased but I have hunted one of the more talked about or popular areas of SD for Mule Deer and have seen maybe 8 or 9 guys actually out in the field hunting while I was out there over many years. No idea where this army of NRs is hiding out chasing animals to death...

Now I will say the Antelope hunting in mid Sept is a zoo...but that is cured by walking over the first ridge off the road and you are away from all the road hunters. Again...are the running the animals to exhaustion? Are the pushing them off wintering grounds?
Add the reservation on top of it and there are some places during rifle season that get beat up pretty good. I havent applied for 5 years now west river as there just isnt the mule deer that there was and its not just from hunting . Ehd kicked the shit out of them last year both white tails and mule deer brother in law ranches and farms west river and found 50 dead deer. I am all for cutting tags for both nr and residents all across the board. The goat population is in the tank also i think they got rid of all the doe tags this year which is a start. No more mentored mule deer tags. Its time we raised price on tags to be comparable to the other states with mule deer.

Fatcamp

WKR
Crazy how much the Res complain about NR - everywhere.

So folks cry when someone hunts their deer but they travel all over the place on vacations, or travel to hunt. Kind of nutty, but makes perfect sense to those doing it. Hypocrites.

Crazy how NR complain so heartily about a state that for the least amount of money in the west allows them to chase mule deer with a bow for three months on millions of acres of public land.

How I wish Wyoming, Montana, or North Dakota would allow me the same privilege.

Rich M

WKR
Crazy how NR complain so heartily about a state that for the least amount of money in the west allows them to chase mule deer with a bow for three months on millions of acres of public land.

How I wish Wyoming, Montana, or North Dakota would allow me the same privilege.

You make it sound like such a good place to go and hunt.

Too many folks everywhere. It sucks, but we have reached a tipping point due to population.

Those of us who have enjoyed some real nice years of peaceful hunting will slowly die off and the whining will cease. The guys who only know combat-style competitive hunting will carry on the tradition if they can afford it.

KurtR

WKR

Too many folks everywhere. It sucks, but we have reached a tipping point due to population.

Those of us who have enjoyed some real nice years of peaceful hunting will slowly die off and the whining will cease. The guys who only know combat-style competitive hunting will carry on the tradition if they can afford it.
it does suck and every one should not even waste time coming.

Fatcamp

WKR

Everyone has their own experiences and expectations. I really enjoy it.

Rich M

WKR
I dont need your spot i got more than I can do in a year 15 minutes out my back door. Starts august 20th
Very nice!

We've got too many folks down here - hunting permits are weekend hunts and you gotta use pref points to get those. Costs me 3 points/years to hunt an hour from home for 3 day weekend. To travel and hunt, I try to pick a limited access area cause if I wanted to jockey for space, can do it locally.

Everyone has their own experiences and expectations. I really enjoy it.
Amen to that.

WCB

WKR
Add the reservation on top of it and there are some places during rifle season that get beat up pretty good. I havent applied for 5 years now west river as there just isnt the mule deer that there was and its not just from hunting . Ehd kicked the shit out of them last year both white tails and mule deer brother in law ranches and farms west river and found 50 dead deer. I am all for cutting tags for both nr and residents all across the board. The goat population is in the tank also i think they got rid of all the doe tags this year which is a start. No more mentored mule deer tags. Its time we raised price on tags to be comparable to the other states with mule deer.
I am aware that disease, weather, etc beat up on Mule Deer and Antelope pretty bad and they are SLOW to come back....but that is a completely different discussion than NR archery hunters barely killing a handful of MD bucks in most units and being the focal point of the discussion. As an NR that has hunted S.D. a lot, I appreciate the low cost and relative ease of getting the tag and I am not against some adjustments but I have honestly (with the deer discussion) have not seen one thing recommended out of these SD organizations that would actual help deer populations. When I see a state wildlife organization even mention making adjustments to their opportunity or personal interest for the actual betterment of wildlife I'll die a happy man.

IMO with your post on how bad the MD hunting is SD is right on par with cost to hunt them. About dead even with the comparable states ND and NE.

Tribal lands can't really be factored into it because that is a separate governing body.

Gobbler36

WKR
I hunted Idaho for 5 years last 3 haven’t gotten a tag because of rule changes. I don’t bitch about I just play the game of the state that is letting me visit
Our strategy is working I guess,
hey i sympathize with you south Dakotans, I’m all for states making the hunting better for THEIR residents

alcvndnb

FNG
Sounds like SD could limit the nonresident tags but the real problem is the number of total tags being sold during rifle season. Maybe there should be an overall limit on what is being sold. regardless if it is resident or nonresident