South Carolina Hog Hunting

slb6630

FNG
I am from PA. I have never hunted Hogs, and never hunted SC. I was thinking of planning a Hog hunt down there this year. Does anyone have any suggestions as to general public land areas that have a strong population of Hogs. I was thinking of taking my long bow. I would like a location where we could camp near by or backpack in. I could take my kayak if necessary.

Any incite is appreciated.

Thank you,

OP
S

slb6630

FNG
Awesome. Looks like a beautiful area. Seems like the type of area I am looking for.

Thank you for sharing!

Seems like you can only hunt hogs on public land during another season ie. Turkey, Deer & Bear… and you can only carry weapons for that season. Is that correct?

How is the Turkey, Deer and Bear population there? If you had a preference on time of year… which season would you prefer to hunt there?

Thank you,

KenLee

WKR
Awesome. Looks like a beautiful area. Seems like the type of area I am looking for.

Thank you for sharing!

Seems like you can only hunt hogs on public land during another season ie. Turkey, Deer & Bear… and you can only carry weapons for that season. Is that correct?

How is the Turkey, Deer and Bear population there? If you had a preference on time of year… which season would you prefer to hunt there?

Thank you,
If it's small game season, you can hunt hogs with a 22 magnum on SC public land. Plenty stout for close head shots. Aim for the ear hole after plenty of practice.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you,

Yes sir, it is.

Correct. Gotta shoot them w what is legal for the open season in which you are hunting.

None of the above are super plentiful, but they are there, particularly deer and turkeys. There are much better zones to hunt deer and turkey. If I were to target them, I suppose I would choose deer season, given the weapon options. But then again I’m planning on hunting some before turkey season starts ( 4/1) this year. I’ll use a shotgun w tungsten number twos.

Come kill some they need to be culled. Those suckers are all over and are competing w the rest of the game for food.

OP
S

slb6630

FNG
Thank you for sharing!

Thank you,
Yes sir, it is.

Correct. Gotta shoot them w what is legal for the open season in which you are hunting.

None of the above are super plentiful, but they are there, particularly deer and turkeys. There are much better zones to hunt deer and turkey. If I were to target them, I suppose I would choose deer season, given the weapon options. But then again I’m planning on hunting some before turkey season starts ( 4/1) this year. I’ll use a shotgun w tungsten number twos.

Come kill some they need to be culled. Those suckers are all over and are competing w the rest of the game for food.

OP
S

slb6630

FNG
Thank you for sharing!

Thank you,
Cool. Thank you for the info. This is very helpful!

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Old-Cat gonna give this guy a heart attack lol...it's steep!

Haha. It is nasty fo-sho, but if my old butt can handle it he should be fine. Dude is wanting to kayak in, one would think he is in fair condition.

OP
S

slb6630

FNG
Haha! I’d consider myself being in good shape. I love a physical challenge….😂

You could look around the Sumter National Forest in Game Zone 2. Kayak access with the Enoree River, Broad River and numerous creeks. Not as steep as Jocasse. Lots of hot opportunities. Roughly 100,000 acres of NF Land. LOTS OF PIGS!!!!!!

I've shot some pigs in the head with Turkey Tungsten inside of 30 yds ( size 7 and 9, not 2s). No dead pig (or at least in the immediate vicinity). I'd take a bow if you're planning on hunting during Turkey season. Small game season, 22 Magnum would be perfect. And you are correct, you have to use the method of take for the current season.

I've had some pigs charge me while scouting for deer in the Summer. I'm not afraid to say that I have unloaded on them with a 9 mm out of season. Me or the pig, particularly when its a 250 lb boar.

Swamp Fox

WKR
I'd point you to Florida for better public land hog hunting, especially with a bow.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
Francis Marion Natl Forest is another good spot if you are willing to put boots on the ground. Must have high tolerance for mosquitos, sand gnats and the occasional snake. Might run into a black bear also.

CJohnson

WKR
A third option for you to consider is a river trip down either the little pee see or waccamaw rivers. There’s fairly abundant public land in both places although you’ll need onX or some other mapping software to make sure you stay on public. Nothing like the black water.