Son’s First Elk (cow)

Sherman

WKR
My family and I are transplants to Colorado from California. We never hunted in California because there was so much to do there and I wasn’t raised a hunter, though our recreation always revolved around the outdoors. When we got to Colorado a buddy took us duck hunting, then goose, then turkey, then deer, I suppose the natural progression. Last year was the first time we all drew deer tags. Only my middle son was successful killing a doe. This year my two oldest drew cow tags and my hunting buddy’s eldest drew an either sex tag, all first rifle in the same unit. We headed out together Friday morning to set up camp and do a little scouting.

Opening morning, with the help of a mutual friend, we set up on a ridge overlooking multiple drainages and ponds, figuring other hunters would drive elk to us as the day progressed. Our friend was correct as shots were fired at first light, starting far off and progressing closer to us as the morning progressed. What we did not anticipate were hunters so close to us just down the ridge cutting the elk off before we could get shots off. At one point a cow closed in at about 150 yards. As my buddy’s son was setting up his shot, a hunter below us (we couldn’t see) let off two shots and the cow ran into the aspens. The hunter only tracked the cow for about five minutes before returning to his spot and sat there to blow out every other group of elk that might come our way. We learned a hard lesson about how unethical some “hunters” could be. My two sons and I skirted the ridge about 60 yards away to get a better view of a finger that elk might come up out of the aspens.

We were taking a little snack break, all three of us sitting, me facing both of my sons when we heard a crack coming from behind me. I turned around and saw the head of a cow coming around a small pine ten yards behind me. I whispered to Jonah to grab his gun. He had it shouldered before I could get my head around to see where the cow was. The front half of the cow was now fully exposed broadside when I heard the safety click off and a BOOM. The entire sequence took less than 2.5 seconds. The cow turned and ran down hill knocking over a tree in the process.

I asked Jonah where he put the crosshairs and he answered correctly, but I began to question where the actual hit was since we were at 10 yards. I have heard of calibers rising 8” out of the barrel at such close range, but wasn’t sure if that is the case on a 30-06. My heart sank as I ran over to where she was shot and I didn’t see any blood for another ten yards. It was all dark timber. There was a carpet of yellow aspen leaves that would be simple to spot blood, yet we couldn’t locate any. We slowly walked the direction she ran off and spotted her 20 yards out laying down. I was just going to sit right there until her head fell down, but she spotted us and got up and ran another 30 yards to our right. I sent Jonah ahead and hung back. He spotted her on her knees and put another shot less than an inch away from the original shot. The second place he shot her was the only spot with blood on the ground, and even then it was extremely minimal. Maybe about 10-15 drops, and she was in that spot for over a minute before the second shot took her down.

We made our way over to her and tried to comfort her as she took her last breaths, thanked her, and prayed to give thanks to God. Tears were shed and hugs were shared. It was awesome to experience that moment with my oldest son, my middle son, and my closest friends.

After she was quartered out we loaded our Kifaru packs and packed out our family’s first ever elk. I’m glad both of my oldest boys have got a big game animal before I have. I can’t imagine it any other way. I know my time will come, and they will be by my side, just as happy for me as I was for them. It makes me think of the one guy who took a poll on here because he was taking his son hunting for his first buck but said he wouldn’t let his son shoot something bigger than what he has already killed. I truly believe I find more joy watching my boys do this and being a part of it, seeing the smiles on their faces, all the hard work, scouting, and range days pay off. I can’t imagine getting to that point and telling my son I would taking the shot because it is bigger than anything I have shot. I think about that guy often, and his son. I feel sorry for both of them. 1762F30E-1A55-4D06-A697-54F74D06D832.jpegA027CC1C-F864-411A-AEE0-2417FF8EB516.jpegE0A34E96-2AEF-43CC-960E-DFEDE30C7255.jpeg15AADCD2-401E-4857-A5EB-7992A3CF63DE.jpeg

Ucsdryder

WKR
Congrats on the elk. I’m not comforting any wild animal while it’s breathing.

Curious why the hunter below you was unethical? Besides messing up your hunt by doing his hunt?

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
Congrats on the elk. I’m not comforting any wild animal while it’s breathing.

Curious why the hunter below you was unethical? Besides messing up your hunt by doing his hunt?
He shot a cow twice (could hear the bullet hit both times where we were), saw him find the blood trail, watched him follow blood trail to a slight incline and decided he wasn’t going to walk uphill, turn around and return to his sitting position. He tracked it maybe 50-60 yards after he got on the blood trail. I suppose some may think that is ethical, I don’t.

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
Excellent results and congrats to all.

No offense meant here but no caliber rises out of the barrel. I suspect that's just semantics but that statement jumped out at me when reading your story.

Eddie
Sorry. Not “rising” but shooting 8” high at such close range when scope is dialed in for 200 yards.

Gerbdog

WKR
Awesome to pass the tradition of hunting from friends to familys and on down the generations. Well done.

I'd second i wouldnt comfort a dying animal while its still breathing... good way to turn a success story into a horror story

Awesome to pass the tradition of hunting from friends to familys and on down the generations. Well done.

I'd second i wouldnt comfort a dying animal while its still breathing... good way to turn a success story into a horror story
Agree. Ending the suffering vs. comforting any day. Slice the jugular or put another round in to finish the job.

Rich M

WKR
Sorry. Not “rising” but shooting 8” high at such close range when scope is dialed in for 200 yards.
I sight my 30-06 for maximum point blank range and use a 4 inch rise. The zero is about 300 yards and at about 150-175 yds the bullet "rise" is 4 inches. Gives me about 350 yards without worrying.

Be careful trying to "comfort" game animals - they can hurt you bad and all you are really doing is terrifying them more than they already are cause they don't want to be petted like a cat or dog.

Congratulations on a successful hunt. You guys done well.

I would have called LEO after the guy shot his 2nd elk and let it run off without getting it. What an ass.

Last edited:
OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
I sight my 30-06 for maximum point blank range and use a 4 inch rise. The zero is about 300 yards and at about 150-175 the bullet "rise" is 4 inches. Gives me about 350 yards without worrying.
Great info! Thanks for the insight.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Congrats on the hunt! Hope you are enjoying your new state and your new pastime! Please help us keep it like Co was and not turn us anymore into mini Ca

Gerbdog

WKR
ya know.. good time to pass on to those who didnt have a mentor but i was always told when you approach a downed animal ... poke it in the eye with a long stick or the barrel of your rifle... nothing likes getting poked in the eye

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I will not let any animal suffer, if my first shot does not ends its life, I send a second one. We all want clean ethical shots so the animal does not suffer. Congratulations to your son.

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
Just to clarify, when we closed the last 20-30 yards we stood off about 10 yards as she was clearly taking her last few breaths. I suppose the word “comfort” was a bad choice of words as we stood back about ten yards and I was just mumbling words of comfort and a prayer for the animal.

Laramie

WKR
Great info! Thanks for the insight.
Here is a little info that will shorten the learning curve. As others have mentioned, there is no rise or jump. A gun sighted in at 200 yards will actually hit a little low until about 25 yards. How low will depend on the distance between your scope and your barrel.
1666118192690.png

This is the method I recommend using with a traditional scope that does not adjust for distance.

Gerbdog

WKR
Just to clarify, when we closed the last 20-30 yards we stood off about 10 yards as she was clearly taking her last few breaths. I suppose the word “comfort” was a bad choice of words as we stood back about ten yards and I was just mumbling words of comfort and a prayer for the animal.
I had some crazy images painted in my head of sitting next to it and patting it on the head hahahaha, this makes a lot more sense. Probably good to see the ending of life and respect for how it happens, good on you and again... congrats on the success! not easy killing an elk

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Way to go Dad! Awesome story. Way to get your kids out and find something relatively knew you can all share and experience together. Great pictures too.