Some hunt and some walk around the woods looking for a good place to 5h!t.

Well I made it home in one piece. First mountain elk hunt complete. It wasn't a mistake; it was a lesson.

I redacted my 1st thread to protect the identities of the elk of CO. Once again I will change the names and locations to protect both the living and dead.

I got to [White] Basin the Friday before the open of 2nd rifle. Snow fell the day before and the road was already falling apart. Saw elk herd in the private pastures. Arriving late, I parked my enclosed trailer [Cinco] into nice soggy hole, set up camp, and called it a day.

Day 1: hiked way too far in with way too much gear. Found nothing living, not even my hunting buddies' spirit; headed back to camp in defeat. The ultimate E-Scouting fail. I learned that the outfitter that dropped hunters off the day before fed his stock well.

Day 2: hunted the [White] River below camp down river to [Oso] Mtn and [Azul] Mtn. Saw nothing but tracks. Met a father-son combo that bagged 2 bulls on the opener between [Cube] Top and [Cube] Top Ranch. They'd been packing meat out all day.

Day 3: if 2 bulls were taken behind [Cube] Top, surely the top of [Cube] Top would be good for a couple more. So up we went...2800' and 6 miles in 4 hours. From the top I could see everything...except elk.

Day 4: Hunted the morning and ran into [Ron], the Outfitter that feeds his stock well; nice guy and he gave some tips. His clients had meat hanging and were pulling out before weather arrived. We got [Cinco] out of its hole and relocated camp to better ground. Man down: one of the group was beat mentally, dropped him at a hotel and raped his shower, he flew home the next day.

Day 5: productive day up [Pescas] Creek Rd. Went up early and down late, found many clearings and ponds. Let loose a cow call while walking and came face-to-face with a bull. He saw me first and was gone in a flash. Only I saw him--allegedly saw him, according to the rest of the guys.

Day 6: woke up to winter wonderland. Went up [Pescas] Creek Rd to look for tracks, nothing but muleys. One of the gang went back to get OHV because the walk was longer than expected, he got there with the wheels as the snow started to dump. I don't have a windshield on the OHV and it was a terrible ride back to camp. Spent the rest of the day thawing out.

Day 7: Drove back up [Pescas] Creek Rd...in the truck...with heater blowing. Slept too late and other trucks beat me to all my planned spots. Went to bottom and followed private fenceline, passed a hunter coming the other way. More boots than hoofs in the snow. Went to a beautiful bowl called [Destruction Applicant] and found a nice glassing spot. It was so nice that it had been used before and the snow was mud in the pattern of an a$$ angel. I sat on some hot hands quietly until the previous hunters came over the ridge and busted me. Thanks for glassing my brothers down with your scope btw. Drove through the neighborhood on [Azul] Mtn Rd and finally found a herd. Went around to public land and hiked up the [White] River to the private line and waited...here they came to the fenceline. The sun was getting low and I had no headlamp with me. But I knew that my cow call would bring the bull over the fence before it got too dark, what I didn't know was that my cow call would send him over 6 fences, 2 roads, and probably the state line too.

Day 8: Coldest morning yet. Headed down river to wait for the herd. Got in early, with headlamp and a pad to sit on. It was beautiful. Followed fresh tracks through scrub oak until the space between my clothes and back was packed with snow. Came out of the oaks to see boots over my elk tracks. Saw more hunters, heard many shots, nothing else happened. Packed up midday and headed south for the winter, caught game 6 at a diner and celebrated with a cold beer.

Overall: good time. Unfilled tags and over 65 miles covered. Lost 5 lbs on the mountain side. I'll be back and I will succeed.

Gear:
Exo pack worked well, not many pockets/compartments though.
Steripen was awesome
Kifaru gun bearer worked flawlessly
Bottles for the win over bladder
Wetwipes I am indebted to you and so is anyone that came within 10' of me
Gaiters: don't leave camp without them
Crispis didn't soak thru 'til the end, great boots
Lueko tape will turn two toes into one and make the sock permanent
Chapstick is a necessity but if you put it on your nostrils don't use Burt's Peppermint
Gas Griddle is the only camp cookware needed
Eazy-Ups and snow don't mix
Deodorant: it won't help
Trekking poles I thought were funny, until I used them; I can now pack like a mule only louder
18-hour hot hands are amazing. I had to push them away at night they were so hot
Bino harness is always in the way, but I wore it always and used it more than anything else
Coleman big and tall 0 degree canvass and flannel bag is priceless

Unused gear:
Puffy pants
Backpacking chair
Tripod
Water bladder
Water filter

tldr: no meat, learned to save some quad muscles just for squatting, found great places to 5h!t.

Last edited:

packer58

WKR
Well I made it home in one piece. First mountain elk hunt complete. It wasn't a mistake; it was a lesson.
Drove through the neighborhood on [Azul] Mtn Rd and finally found a herd. Went around to public land and hiked up the [White] River to the private line and waited...here they came to the fenceline. The sun was getting low and I had no headlamp with me. But I knew that my cow call would bring the bull over the fence before it got too dark, what I didn't know was that my cow call would send him over 6 fences, 2 roads, and probably the state line too.
Way to keep your head up..........That's some funny chit...Thanks for the chuckle....

Jethro

WKR
Fun write up. Thats how it goes sometimes. Can't let it get you down, and you didn't. Good luck next time.

Choupique

WKR
We must hunt together. This is my story, except we all left with the first guy!

Cclon5

Lil-Rokslider
Good work though, it happens, and there's just something about crapping in the woods...

-Forest: 1
-Clumsy1589: 0