Solomon Quest Alternative

I've tried on a pair of Scarpa Ribelle Lite HD recently and will say the Scarpa fit comes close to what I previously had in my Quests. That said, this particular boot is EXTREMELY stiff and would be a very specific use case boot for me.

The search continues... Looking at some less beefy Scarpa options at the moment.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Basically something in its class but more durable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might try one of the lighter Mammut boots? The Mammuts I've tried on (Trovat Guide II and Ducan) approximate the fit of the Salomon Quest as closely as anything I've found. I own the Trovat Guide and it is much stiffer and built like a tank, probably heavier than you want. The Ducan seems well built but I don't own a pair. Maybe someone else can speak to the durability of those?

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Get an REI co-op membership and buy them there, you get a year for returns. Wear them out and return them and buy another. Repeat.

That means I'd be at REI every 2-3 weeks leading up to season.

So you’re wearing out a pair of decent boots in 2-3 weeks? LOL. Salomon and other import manufacturers quality has definitely suffered over the last couple years but they haven’t gotten to the point where they’re falling apart that quickly. AT hikers spend the majority of the year hiking the 2200 miles and typically go through 3-4 pairs of boots doing it and literally all they’re doing is hiking all day.

Some of the shit that some of you guys on here say is so far fetched it’s unreal, well beyond exaggeration.

I hike a shit ton and in the last two years have trashed some Merrell’s and just recently had a pair of Hoka’s with a known defect on the model that resulted in them being discontinued and redesigned come apart in a little over 2 months after at least 200 miles of hiking. Unless you’re buying your boots at Walmart you’re not wearing them out that quickly.

MattB

WKR
Crispi Thor here too. Fit is very similar, the Crispi sole is stiffer than the Solomon, but the level of stiffness of the uppers is similar.

So you’re wearing out a pair of decent boots in 2-3 weeks? LOL. Salomon and other import manufacturers quality has definitely suffered over the last couple years but they haven’t gotten to the point where they’re falling apart that quickly. AT hikers spend the majority of the year hiking the 2200 miles and typically go through 3-4 pairs of boots doing it and literally all they’re doing is hiking all day.

Some of the shit that some of you guys on here say is so far fetched it’s unreal, well beyond exaggeration.

I hike a shit ton and in the last two years have trashed some Merrell’s and just recently had a pair of Hoka’s with a known defect on the model that resulted in them being discontinued and redesigned come apart in a little over 2 months after at least 200 miles of hiking. Unless you’re buying your boots at Walmart you’re not wearing them out that quickly.

Mine started leaking really bad (where morning dew and tall grass after a rain storm is a problem) after two dozen or so miles, so yea, I'd need a new pair every 2-3 weeks (and those are light mileage weeks for me during scouting season). The manager at REI would know me by my first name at that point.

They're good boots for staying on trail and having a light day pack, but I would never consider them as options for mountain hunting.

Mine started leaking really bad (where morning dew and tall grass after a rain storm is a problem) after two dozen or so miles, so yea, I'd need a new pair every 2-3 weeks (and those are light mileage weeks for me during scouting season). The manager at REI would know me by my first name at that point.

They're good boots for staying on trail and having a light day pack, but I would never consider them as options for mountain hunting.

It’s entirely possible that you got a defective pair but there’s no way that that’s the norm. They’re hiking boots, people buy them to go hiking and do water crossings. If they lasted a couple dozen miles literally nobody would buy them and reviews would reflect that. Hiking boots are some of the ugliest footwear on the planet so nobody is buying them for some sort of hipster trend or something.

quatin

FNG
I have a voucher for a pair of Quest direct from Salomon, Ill beat whatever price you find them for in stock if anyone wants a pair
I might. I just joined to read about boots. I tried on a couple pairs at REI and the Salomon quest 4 fits the best. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because of all the reviews about the waterproofing failing early, but for the right price I'll give them a shot. How's your voucher work?

I used to wear the Salomon Quest for work. They changed the look, and have some type of outer strap on them, which I don't care for (appearance only). I bought a pair of Kenetrek Corrie 2 in black to wear to work. They are really comfortable, and Midway had them on sale for $143, cheaper than the Salomons. I think I will buy another pair while they are on sale.

edited to add: Midway also has a free pair of Kenetrek Gaiters when you buy the Corries.

Last edited:

quatin

FNG
I used to wear the Salomon Quest for work. They changed the look, and have some type of outer strap on them, which I don't care for (appearance only). I bought a pair of Kenetrek Corrie 2 in black to wear to work. They are really comfortable, and Midway had them on sale for $143, cheaper than the Salomons. I think I will buy another pair while they are on sale.
Would you use the Corries for hunting in the mountains?

I might. I just joined to read about boots. I tried on a couple pairs at REI and the Salomon quest 4 fits the best. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because of all the reviews about the waterproofing failing early, but for the right price I'll give them a shot. How's your voucher work?

Get the REI co-op lifetime membership for $30 and buy them there. Co op members can return items for a year no questions asked so if they fail just return them and buy another pair.

Would you use the Corries for hunting in the mountains?

Yes, I would. They offer more support than the Salomon Quest, the sole is more aggressive, and so far have proven to be completely waterproof. Unlike the Salomon quest that were NEVER waterproof. I have had several pair of Salomons over the years, and none were ever really waterproof. I wear a uniform daily (Sheriff's Office), and these Corries are really comfortable. The black ones that I bought are GTG for my Department.

Midway has a free set of Kenetrek Gaiters when you buy the Corries.

Last edited:
Ill either give you the voucher code or order them for you and you can send me the funds. Shoot me a PM

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up, Salomon makes the Quest 4D Forces version as well. They are my cool weather field boots at work and are built essentially the same as the Quests from the 2015-2016 timeframe. I’ve put a lot of miles on mine across some rough terrain with a heavy ruck on and they have held up far better than the newer civilian Quests have.

The only real difference is they have solid eyelets around the ankles instead of the half eyelets on the civilian version.

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of Quest 2D GTX in 2017 then went elk hunting Idaho. 5 days of 20 miles a day for break in. I didn't have one blister. They are the best boot I've ever bought. I went to buy a backup pair, but only the new junk ass China boots are available from Saloman. I returned two new sets of the 4Ds due to size difference from 2D to 4D, and quality. The toe was already coming unglued from the sole out of the box. 2Ds made in Europe. I then bought the Lowa Renegade pair. Quality boot. I ordered two pair. I wear a pair and have the other in the box for when the day comes. I am heart broke at the fact Saloman went tits up on quality.

TheGDog

WKR

Brother.. I'm being serious... no the current pair.. but the pair before... it REALLY pissed me off how rapidly that sole ripped man. And that's because the prior pair lasted me 3 years. They just got sacked-out is all so I wanted the cushioning of the soles back again. This pari I'm talking about that pissed me off? Hrmm.. I wanna say.... 3 months to rip?

EDIT: NOTE - one theory I have though is that the Peet's Boot Dryer, which I love... I think that sometimes when I've forgotten to take them off within 1 days time possibly contributed to the premature failure. To try to test that theory out.... whenever I put my boots on the dryer now, I set an alarm in my phone so I don't EFF up and forget about them in the silence of the garage. That being said, the longest I've left it on there was like 2 days, tops.

300stw

FNG
i buy a new pair of salomons every year right before hunting season, i wear them every day, when they changed the 4d last couple years ive been searching for something else

bought the corries, been wearing them everday for 6 weeks, like them so much i bought 2 more pairs at the sale price, stiffer and better waterproofness, then the salomons,,,

Jon Boy

WKR
I was in a similar boat and went with the kenetrek corries. Not as soft or comfy as the Solomon but they last a hell of a lot longer and are still quite comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Where does one find these "Corries" at? Is that an online retailer type of deal?

EDIT: Oh ok Kenetrek gotcha. Thank you sir.

Last edited: