Solo moose hunt

Bowtech55

FNG
Have a moose hunt planned this September with my brother. Unfortunately he sustained an injury working out and just had surgery. I’ve asked a few buddies if they want to go and running out of options and time. Thinking about going solo. This would be a drop camp, hopefully near some creeks with the hope I could float the meat to a landing area to save some of the distance packing. Was curious if anyone else has ran solo on a moose hunt? Thoughts?
Im 33 and in good shape, ive done a few elk solo but this would be my first alaska moose.
Thank you

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
As much as I love going solo from time to time, Ii’m not sure a first moose hunt is the time to do that. Certainly it could be done, but there’s so many things that could go sideways where another person would be of massive help.

If I had no other choice I would probably do it but I would really try to get someone to go with me-perhaps share the meat with them for motivation.

diydan

FNG
Have a moose hunt planned this September with my brother. Unfortunately he sustained an injury working out and just had surgery. I’ve asked a few buddies if they want to go and running out of options and time. Thinking about going solo. This would be a drop camp, hopefully near some creeks with the hope I could float the meat to a landing area to save some of the distance packing. Was curious if anyone else has ran solo on a moose hunt? Thoughts?
Im 33 and in good shape, ive done a few elk solo but this would be my first alaska moose.
Thank you
Did you end up trying it out? What was your experience like?

I went solo last season and was successful. I got tired of people backing out last minute. I prefer hunting alone as well because then I don't have to worry about someone not being prepared or managing expectations for them. If you want to do it then go do it. It could be years before you find somebody to commit. Keep the overland pack out to under a mile and embrace the suck. Don't listen to people that want to armchair quarterback your hunt and tell you its not possible. Regardless of success itll be one hell of a hunt. Best of luck!

Wingert

FNG
As other have mentioned, if you wait for someone to go along, you may never go. Mental fortitude will be paramount to success. It sounds like your capable physically.

Review the multiple gear lists on this site using Search. As an example, consider a pulley system to help during the butchering process https://rokslide.com/forums/search/...t&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=15&o=relevance

* Be extremely mindful of the terrain and distance from camp or extraction point before harvesting a bull.
* Learn to call and bring the bull to you and near the landing zone.
* Take your time while in the field to avoid injury.
* Expect weather to keep you tent bound for a few days so have reading material.

** Don't second guess the decision.......tomorrow isn't guaranteed. YOU can do this and nearly every hunt thereafter will look easy. **

Honestly moose hunts are pretty boring imho.

Also it’s not easy to find 2 legal bulls on a drop off within the recommended 1 mile pack radius of the drop off location. Float hunts or other transportation style hunts are usually more conducive to getting multiple moose due to the greater huntable area.

I would seriously look at bringing a “packer” not another hunter. Someone to share camp with etc. but not take away from your chances. (Like spending a day or 2 packing out someone else’s moose that they shot instead of you 😂) if you teach them they can help call and glass etc.

Cost sharing would be up to however you figure it out. Usually I’ll cover the costs and transportation just to get them out there. They sacrifice their time and labor.

But it’s better to go Solo than not at all!

MDT31

FNG
Time to go all 'Revenant' on that moose, solo and fierce - you got this.

I went solo last season and was successful. I got tired of people backing out last minute. I prefer hunting alone as well because then I don't have to worry about someone not being prepared or managing expectations for them. If you want to do it then go do it. It could be years before you find somebody to commit. Keep the overland pack out to under a mile and embrace the suck. Don't listen to people that want to armchair quarterback your hunt and tell you its not possible. Regardless of success itll be one hell of a hunt. Best of luck!
That seems to be the common theme is finding people to moose hunt that are on the same level as yourself physically, mentally and want the same thing out of the hunt... and will financially commit.

I've been fortunate both times I've gone, as my father and uncle went with me the first year. There were times I would have liked to push harder but they were great, we all stayed positive and helped build each other up.

The second year I went with my cousin. He doesn't have a TON of hunting experience but he was a sponge and took everything in stride. We've always had a great connection so I knew his lack of experience wasn't going to bring us down. Even when times were tough, we always found a way to laugh and have a good time. Added benefit is that he's strong as an ox so it was nice having him packing quarters with me.

Him and I will be flying out again in 7 weeks!

wyosam

WKR
Finding people with the time and desire to go seems to be a big challenge for me. It was always the same for Elk before I moved to AK, so as a result I’ve killed a bunch of elk solo (the vast majority of animals I’ve killed over the last 30+ years have been solo). Was hoping to not do that that with moose, but it seems like it comes down to go solo or don’t go. Wife isn’t crazy about it, but I’m getting to the point I know the number of years that I can still go solo are limited, so I’ll go and deal with the limitations of hunting moose solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meknowy

FNG
Killed a few solo when I was younger. Get your mind right. It sucks. But if you’re tough you can do it.
This is it right here. I've had the same experience. Butchering is a lot more work alone. If there are trees around, have rope with you - sometimes you can tie a leg or antler to a tree while you work on things. If you're planning to hang meat or your food, I like to have a couple lightweight pulleys to help me out.

wyosam

WKR
block and tackle with sturdy rope, she'll be your buddy when you need it most, solo.

That’s one thing I like about a boat based hunt is all the rope, pulleys, and Prussik cords that make up the pin kit that is always in the raft or jet boat works great for moving all sorts of heavy stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I went solo for AK moose in 2020 and 2021, it can be done. I would not recommend anybody trying it unless they are an experienced woodsman, in good physical shape, and most of are mentally tough with the right mind set. I was 63 in 2021, shot my moose 1 1/8 mile from the pickup lake.

There is a recounting of my 2021 hunt somewhere on this forum, think it is called AK Solo With A Selfbow.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was alone for my first one, it was a float hunt too. I had no idea what I was doing, I’d never even seen a moose before I shot that one.

I bought Larry bartletts book and figured it would be easy. Took a raft out and nearly drowned but came back with a moose.

You’ll be fine.