Solo Elk Hunt

Are you guys packing your coolers with ice before leaving them at the trailhead at the start of the hunt? If not are you dumping the first load of meat in the cooler then beating cheeks to town for ice before going back? This is a scenario I've been mulling over.

Where we were last year it was two hour round trip to town for ice if we would have needed it. There were four of us so the logistics of getting meat and ice taken care of was much easier.

The Spot works just fine. I and a friend of mine are still running the first generation. No problems here. Looking at an upgrade for more options with messaging.. what is going on. The Spot 3rd Gen is much better with a half off discount now, so I might look at it soon.

I've been looking at the SPOT, haven't checked out the inReach. How Reliable is SPOT?

I had the SPOT Connect. I was not impressed, but I was using an Android phone. I think guys using the iPhone and the regular SPOT had better luck.

I've been looking at the SPOT, haven't checked out the inReach. How Reliable is SPOT?

SPOT is spotty, DeLorme Inreach is the bomb. Whenever I hunt elk I have a meatpacker's number in my phone. Been quoted everything from $250 to $375. and if you're solo it is money well spent. Just give em your GPS #s and start dressing. Where ya hunting?

Are you guys packing your coolers with ice before leaving them at the trailhead at the start of the hunt? If not are you dumping the first load of meat in the cooler then beating cheeks to town for ice before going back?
I do the same as 5 miles, but I also make sure my coolers are pre chilled very cold before loading the milk jugs. I usually start chilling 2-3 days ahead before leaving. I get the same results, a week or more. I've also heard of guys leaving a layer of dry ice between cubed ice on the bottom and top. Never done it my self, but may be worth a shot.

If your in good shape I wouldn't even worry about it. Your body will go to much greater lengths in the mnts than you'd ever imagine. First time I took my body into deep waters it opened my mind to what I'm capable of in a whole new light.
Don't get me wrong though, it hurts real good for a few days.

I do the same as 5 miles, but I also make sure my coolers are pre chilled very cold before loading the milk jugs. I usually start chilling 2-3 days ahead before leaving. I get the same results, a week or more. I've also heard of guys leaving a layer of dry ice between cubed ice on the bottom and top. Never done it my self, but may be worth a shot.

I've done the dry ice in the middle of the ice chest for years and it has kept my ice for 10 full days in 85 degree NM weather and it will be what I do for my solo Colorado hunt this year.

SPOT is spotty, DeLorme Inreach is the bomb. Whenever I hunt elk I have a meatpacker's number in my phone. Been quoted everything from $250 to $375. and if you're solo it is money well spent. Just give em your GPS #s and start dressing. Where ya hunting?
I'm going to be hunting in the Uncompahgre Wilderness area in Southwestern, Co.

Well watch out for Alfred "Alferd" Packer's ghost. The local Forestry Service can direct you to a horse packer for the area you are hunting, that area is regulated and limited to area outfitters for this service.

Back