Social media paranoia

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
You guys ever look at the maps they made in Florida of IPhone user locations and Android user locations? It showed iPhones predominantly in higher income areas, interstates, and the airport, while Android dominated the lower income areas.
My point, yes this stuff is logged and looked at. Does OnX, who knows? But it would surprise me if they didn’t. If your cell has service someone is likely logging your location.

I’ve not saved waypoints in OnX. I save them on my gps. I use OnX on my phone for property ownership and satellite view.
Not cause I’m paranoid, just used to my gps for waypoints and such.

Found the article:
https://amp.businessinsider.com/android-is-for-poor-people-maps-2014-4

Last edited:

Jon Boy

WKR
I don't think they would. How ever I know of a poaching case a warden investigated. He pulled there saved tracks and way points from onx on their phones. He had them all printed out on a nice neat map when the two suspects showed up for questioning, that proved they were indeed guilty.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
I don't think they would. How ever I know of a poaching case a warden investigated. He pulled there saved tracks and way points from onx on their phones. He had them all printed out on a nice neat map when the two suspects showed up for questioning, that proved they were indeed guilty.

Wow, glad they were busted but, wow....big bro has your number.

SWOHTR

WKR
I'd just assume anything you do using the 'trons is unsecured. Good, bad, or indifferent. I'd also assume that there are things in this world far more important to the government than your "honey hole." Case studies: anything Russian, Chinese, or some other totalitarian regime.

Unless you're afraid of the Russians invading your honey hole...

Trial153

WKR
Laugh all we want. Wait for picture and GPS locations to start getting auctioned off with tags. It all goes to conservation so ...

sneaky

"DADDY"

As long as he had a warrant, if not, that evidence would be inadmissible in court. I highly doubt they told him "sure, you can look through my phone".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
As long as he had a warrant, if not, that evidence would be inadmissible in court. I highly doubt they told him "sure, you can look through my phone".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
He got their onx information from onx, not their phones. I'm just curious if onx just gave up there information or if he had a search warrant.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Short answer is yes. If onx wanted to they could take all your tracks, waypoints, and usage as metadata and use it at their own will. Navionics and fishing maps do this they just don't tell you about it. Just realise that anytime you have a cellphone on you everything you say and do is tracked by civilian or gov agency.. Period. You can play dumb and say it's not... But the truth is they track everything you do and say.

tttoadman

WKR
Thank you all for adding to my already questionable level of paranoia. Good thing is the ONX chip didn’t work in my 530, so I sent it back. I will never subscribe to any service of this sort, and I have never sinced(sp) my radio. They likely still have all of my info anyway. Bummer.

I think we fail to realize that anything we do on line weather it be cell phone,computer someone is always watching big brother always has eyes on,but as far as a app like onx doing something like that is so minute that it's laughable i mean come on guys that type of paranoia needs to be looked at. I would say social media platforms do that more than we know but yet majority of people still use those platforms everyday, i would worrie less about a map gps app and focus more on thing that really affect our lives.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
So??? Do you realize how insurmountable it would be to sift through alllllllllllll those waypoints to figure out where to go and which ones actually are a spot that's worth noting? Now if you're a top dog hunter with some success pedigree, then maybe they could narrow down who to look at it, otherwise there's probably multiple pin drops in every single drainage in the West that could possibly hold an elk or Muledeer!

jmez

WKR
I'm sure there is an algorithm out there that would mine those data points into useable info in a few minutes.

The original concern doesn't bother me much.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk