So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

jpndave

FNG
So I noticed yesterday in my safe, and then just checked my pic on page 23 with the buck, my rifle took it upon itself to get even lighter as my grip cap is missing lol. Probably won't bother replacing it.
I have a 3d scan of the Hunter grip cap. It's not perfect but might be printable. @mtwarden did you ever try printing that?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What velocities are you guys getting after cutting your barrels? Specifically guys shooting 308.

How short are you cutting the barrels, what velocities are you getting and what bullet weights are you using?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have titanium action screws in the works if anyone is interested. They won't be the goofy long extended head though so on the Hunter they would be up inside the stock a bit on the rear screw. Also a T25 Torx head.

bumping this up; any luck with those action screws?

Trackselk

WKR
Yeah, ti screws please!

On another subject. I was hoping to get some opinions on chopping my 18" 22 creed barrel to 16.5". I'm probably going to send it off to LRI for a few ounces more shaved off the barrel, and I could probably deal with the 1" of additional drop at 500 yards. I run suppressed, so noise isn't a consideration, but getting that weight at the end of the barrel closer to center would be nice. It shoots well, but would carry better, and hang up on fewer branches...
Why? Because 4lb 11oz is too heavy!

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
For those who have the SWFA ultralight on their Kimber - how do you like it? I think @ChrisAU and @packgoatguy had them at some point.

Also, thanks to all for the wealth of information in this thread. I’ll tag it here to not clog up the thread, but I’m almost done with a carbon fiber stock for my hunter. I haven’t done everything possible to save weight, just been careful not to add excess. It has a more vertical grip, negative comb, parallel forend, and a shorter trigger reach. Prior to paint I was at 13.5 oz. and will finish at a LOP of 14.25” with the 1” microcell pad. The forend was shortened a bit and is incredibly rigid - when I hold the barrel and push on the forend it doesn’t flex at all.

2B903A2A-4E64-4FB0-9C4F-458D6B6FC699.jpeg

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
For those who have the SWFA ultralight on their Kimber - how do you like it? I think @ChrisAU and @packgoatguy had them at some point.

Also, thanks to all for the wealth of information in this thread. I’ll tag it here to not clog up the thread, but I’m almost done with a carbon fiber stock for my hunter. I haven’t done everything possible to save weight, just been careful not to add excess. It has a more vertical grip, negative comb, parallel forend, and a shorter trigger reach. Prior to paint I was at 13.5 oz. and will finish at a LOP of 14.25” with the 1” microcell pad. The forend was shortened a bit and is incredibly rigid - when I hold the barrel and push on the forend it doesn’t flex at all.

View attachment 732450

I had one mounted up at one time but never shot it, didn't like the eye relief with 4 pound 358 Win ha.

View attachment 732450

I've used my swfa ultralight scopes a fair bit. One on a 308win kimber hunter and one on my uberlite 223rem bolt AR. I like the view through the scope, and they have been reliable so far. I use the BDC reticle and the zoom to "sort of" dial for holdovers... but I miss having a real dialing scope. Overall, if a sub-10oz scope is needed... I think the swfa ultralight bdc is hard to beat.