So Dak Antelope Input

Kindo

WKR
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,
I'm looking to possibly set up a long weekend trip to S. Dakota to chase after some pronghorns. I've got my CO elk trip planned but I know I'll already be going through withdrawals by the time I'm rolling back into WI. Just looking to see if anyone has any input or could possibly point me in the right direction. Not looking for any trophies just want a fun hunt and road trip. Please feel free to PM me with any leads. Just curious what public land is like or if farmers allow many hunters on their property out there (kind of like duck hunting in N. Dakota, they could care less as long as you're not chasing their deer around).

Thanks again!

kpk

WKR
I've been looking to do the same (archery is OTC). It looks like anywhere north, south, or east of the black hills is good area. There's tons of public land. Check out the south dakota hunting site. They have a pretty good online atlas that shows all the public chunks.

Last edited:

twshutika

FNG
I have a blast antelope hunting out here in sodak, like kpk said it is over the counter for archery and the season starts mid august. rifle draw ends aug 15, I haven't hunted rifle yet.

the archery hunting is pretty good, but that also depends on where you go and how good your spot and stalk is. just PM me if you have any question I might be able to help with.

Numbers seem to be rebounding from the ice storms a few seasons back. Really hurt goat numbers. Plenty of public but need to stay mobile and bounce around. Some areas just don't seem to hold goats. If it's a dry season bring a ground blind and hit the water holes.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Hey everyone, thanks for the input as it's very much appreciated. I'm currently debating between spending some excess funds on a flight out to CO in July for some scouting prior to my elk hunt or to use it on a long weekend goat hunt. twshutika, I may be getting in touch with, and thank you for the offer. I've only done a couple spot and stalks on goats via a cow decoy and while it seemed to work, I can't imagine that it's as successful on public land animals. I'm going to do some more digging on SD maps and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again everyone!

I've only done a couple spot and stalks on goats via a cow decoy and while it seemed to work, I can't imagine that it's as successful on public land animals.

You would be surprised how well the cow decoy works, even on public ground. Been successful with it myself on public multiple times.

jmez

WKR
Concentrate on Butte and Meade counties. You knocked on enough doors you could get permission on private land but there is no need to do that. There are tens of thousands of acres of walk in areas in both counties. Most of them are going to have goats on them. SD game and fish website has a walk in area booklet you can download.

Highway 85 north of Belle Fourche to highway 168 west to highway 79 then south to Newell. Highway 212 west of Newel to Faith then south on 73 to Howes and back west on 34 to Sturgis. Any and all of that area. Loaded with walk in areas and goats.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks again for all the great info everyone. It looks like this will have to wait until next year as I just broke down and bought a ticket to Denver for some pre-season elk scouting. I will continue to check back as I think this is a trip that I'd really like to make happen next year!....or this year? (shhhh, don't tell my wife)

Trial153

WKR
Guys here are pointing you in the right direction. I'm I seen plenty of goats while mule deer hunting out there last season the first week of October. It wasn't infested but the numbers were decent. Plenty of public land to walk into.

Guys here are pointing you in the right direction. I'm I seen plenty of goats while mule deer hunting out there last season the first week of October. It wasn't infested but the numbers were decent. Plenty of public land to walk into.

You going back this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpat

FNG
jmez,
Do you think that north of the hills is better than south around Hot Springs for Antelope?

drrice

Lil-Rokslider
North of the hills is going to be better than down by Hot Springs. There are still goats down there but numbers will be better up north.

jmez

WKR
What drrice said. If you are targeting antelope then you need to be north of the hills. Butte, Meade, and Harding counties have a lot more antelope than south.