4 Man Tipi for Brooks Range Trip

badlander

FNG
I have an Air Boat drop camp trip planned for the Brooks Range first week of September coming up and am looking at the gear I have to see what's going to work and what I need.

I've got a Peax Solitude tipi and floor for option #1, the outfitter has a gear rental company that offers cabelas 6 man outfitter tents (33#) as part of their gear package as option #2.

Weight is a bit less of an issue for this hunt were allowed 100# of gear each if we bring our own gear so a 30# tent would work. But I have the solitude and a titanium stove for it.

I spent a few over nights and 2/3 day spike camps in the tipi this fall but haven't had it long enough to have tried anything longer. So to the question, for 2 guys in the tent, have you done a week in a tipi like this? On the misery scale of 1-10 how tolerable was it, or should I just plan to rent the heavier 6 man? I like the idea of having my stove in case we need to scavenge some driftwood to dry out wet gear. Space is the trade off, and maybe some more real food and a few less mountain house meals along the way.

We have 2 other guys that would probably rent a dome either way so if we get stormed in for a day or two I suspect we could gather in the bigger tent during the day for sanity's sake.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd take the tipi and leave behind the rented domes.

standing up a bit inside the tent helps on a week-long hunt.

no floor to fuss with so boots on inside is convenient.

Stove is okay if you're around willow shrubs, but don't count on all nighter burns...although a godsend on cold brisk days when you need a bump for spirits.

AKDoc

WKR
^^LB is giving some valid and experienced suggestions^^

I know a number of other hunters who also use tipi's as their primarily shelter...and they use them faithfully.

I'm just going to add an additional (and biased...LOL) perspective from an old guy who has reached a point that he doesn't like sharing a tent with anyone other than family. Too many countless reduced sleep nites from guys next to me snoring like a freight train (including me LOL). I've also learned from experience that ear-plugs are not a good idea in bear country. Therefore, me and my hunting partners bring our own two-man tents that we each use solo for sleeping...especially true when setting a single location camp for a week or more, and when we aren't particularly wt restricted nor having to hump camp far/high.

I do have a SO 4-man tipi, which I really like and always bring on extended hunts:
  • My hunts are typically two-person hunts...just me and a hunting buddy, a third hunting buddy once.
  • I've primarily used my SO 4-man as a very, very welcomed, strong and comfortable 2-3 person day-shelter. It has been invaluable in that regard for many hunting adventures, especially when the rain was blowing side-ways. I'm imagining four-guys in mine would be very, very close quarters, even as a day shelter. If I had the stove set-up, it might be defying the laws of physics LOL, but I suppose one could adapt, improvise and over-come when necessary LOL!
  • I have slept in my 4-man...solo a couple times and with a hunting buddy once for a week-long float trip. For me, it was very comfortably doable for two-guys, even with the stove. I'll note that condensation was an issue for us, but as long as we didn't touch the inside walls, it simply ran down the walls through the nite...but when we got a strong gust of wind, it was like having a wet dog shaking-off water next to us LOL. I do have the wall liners for my tipi, but I've only used them once.
Best of luck for a wonderful adventure with friends next year! The Brooks is a very special experience.

I’ll never crawl into another cabelas guide tent again. The tipi will be fine. If you want to take it a step further with not much more weight, less steep sidewalks, and much more bomb proof with beefier fabric and more guy outs; go with an AO Nunatak.

I personally won’t take a tipi as my lone tent. I had to take one down on Kodiak a few years back when winds clock over 90mph in town, luckily I had a bomb shelter set up. An outfitter friend last year had 3 groups out with tipis during a typhoon and had to bring all of them out a new tent after the storm (snapped poles.)

If weight isn’t an issue, I’d personally skip messing with wood. Mr Buddy with 3lbs of propane will give you 1.5 hours of heat a day on low. Can’t beat it. Reach out and fire it up in the morning for 15 minutes until it’s so hot you’re forced from the fart sack. And breakfast burritos are already nice and warm.

IMG_6803.jpeg

keller

WKR
It's a tough call went through the same scenario last season. but in the end whatever is more important to you. Two tents and stove?No real food or liquor only freeze dried?cant sleep with another guy in same shelter? We ended up skimping on some things to bring cabelas guide tent and tipi with stove. 16 days we set up and used the stove the last night because it rained mostly all day and wanted to dry stuff out. Lit a fire within like 3 hrs our gear was nearly dry.we looked at each other and Said why didn't we do this earlier? We also took 5lbs of charcoal also in case of no wood. We split a mh breakfast had tuna pouches and snacks during day and each had our own mh supper so food was fairly light. In the end whatever is important to you.

OP
B

badlander

FNG
I’ll never crawl into another cabelas guide tent again. The tipi will be fine. If you want to take it a step further with not much more weight, less steep sidewalks, and much more bomb proof with beefier fabric and more guy outs; go with an AO Nunatak.

I personally won’t take a tipi as my lone tent. I had to take one down on Kodiak a few years back when winds clock over 90mph in town, luckily I had a bomb shelter set up. An outfitter friend last year had 3 groups out with tipis during a typhoon and had to bring all of them out a new tent after the storm (snapped poles.)

If weight isn’t an issue, I’d personally skip messing with wood. Mr Buddy with 3lbs of propane will give you 1.5 hours of heat a day on low. Can’t beat it. Reach out and fire it up in the morning for 15 minutes until it’s so hot you’re forced from the fart sack. And breakfast burritos are already nice and warm.

View attachment 636749
Its not that weight isn't an issue, still have to get gear on a commercial flight from home to all the way to prudhoe bay. I spent a week on Kodiak a few years back and we saw 70mph, I know those winds are no joke.

Only down side of propane is that its a wet heat and doesn't dry out gear like a wood fired stove will. I know nothing stays dry long up there, even a few hours every couple of days may allow us to dry out boots/ socks/gloves etc... which could be the difference between comfort and misery.

Did you have an AK Guide tent fail? I know there are a lot of other tent options out there, but I already own the Peax Solitude Tipi and the transporter is set up with a gear rental outfit so those are the two options I have that wont cost me a pile of extra cash. Ive already got a wall tent, a kodiak canvas tent, the peax tent, a small kelty 3p dome and a SG Sky Air 1p so I'm trying to avoid spending $1K+ on another tent that really doesnt fill any other need I have outside of this one trip. If I can.

OP
B

badlander

FNG
It's a tough call went through the same scenario last season. but in the end whatever is more important to you. Two tents and stove?No real food or liquor only freeze dried?cant sleep with another guy in same shelter? We ended up skimping on some things to bring cabelas guide tent and tipi with stove. 16 days we set up and used the stove the last night because it rained mostly all day and wanted to dry stuff out. Lit a fire within like 3 hrs our gear was nearly dry.we looked at each other and Said why didn't we do this earlier? We also took 5lbs of charcoal also in case of no wood. We split a mh breakfast had tuna pouches and snacks during day and each had our own mh supper so food was fairly light. In the end whatever is important to you.
So for 4 guys you brought 1 tipi and 1 dome? That's kind of where I'm leaning right now.

Curious what size tipi you brought, and what size dome you had? I think if things went inverted on us, we could pack all 4 in the 6 man dome in bags and on pads, but if the dome was messed up we'd be making a makeshift tent out of the shrapnel and willows. The PEAX is nice but the 4p is a 2 man tent max with the stove in it, 3 max without unless at least 2 share a sleeping bag, but that's a different forum.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 636749
Did you make that rack for the buddy heater? I've messed with different things, but couldn't find a good rack to use for heating/re-heating like that

So for 4 guys you brought 1 tipi and 1 dome? That's kind of where I'm leaning right now.

Curious what size tipi you brought, and what size dome you had? I think if things went inverted on us, we could pack all 4 in the 6 man dome in bags and on pads, but if the dome was messed up we'd be making a makeshift tent out of the shrapnel and willows. The PEAX is nice but the 4p is a 2 man tent max with the stove in it, 3 max without unless at least 2 share a sleeping bag, but that's a different forum.
The tipi will be fine. Buddy used a 8 man Kifaru with no issues. He did have sand bags (just the bags) he bought off Amazon, filled with river rock and used as anchors. You will want long stakes for the tundra.

I'd pass on the wood stove, who wants to walk looking for wood off the river.

You going in with deadhorse outfitters? He does have propane.

My buddy used a Chinese diesel heater when awake to warm the tipi. We used an Cabela's alaknak tent with propane buddy heater.

Next time I will bring a third tent for me. Just nice to spread out. I do have a Hilleberg Nalo 2 GT.

I hope the herd is close to the river when you go and the weather is good!

Have fun 🤩

OP
B

badlander

FNG
The tipi will be fine. Buddy used a 8 man Kifaru with no issues. He did have sand bags (just the bags) he bought off Amazon, filled with river rock and used as anchors. You will want long stakes for the tundra.

I'd pass on the wood stove, who wants to walk looking for wood off the river.

You going in with deadhorse outfitters? He does have propane.

My buddy used a Chinese diesel heater when awake to warm the tipi. We used an Cabela's alaknak tent with propane buddy heater.

Next time I will bring a third tent for me. Just nice to spread out. I do have a Hilleberg Nalo 2 GT.

I hope the herd is close to the river when you go and the weather is good!

Have fun 🤩
No - different outfit but very similar hunt to what deadhorse offers. Was deep into the planning and researching a trip to 23 a few years back right before the closure. Decided to head a different direction to hopefully dodge closures etc... long enough to go at least once.

keller

WKR
We had more tent than we needed but was nice to have the room and a backup in case of bad weather. 2 guys 6 man cabelas guide tent stored everything in their hung our waders at night. Slept and ate supper in 8 man so tipi with woodstove on cots. 4 guys on mats is possible in 6 man guide tent but can be

a pain when you have to pee at midnight

OP
B

badlander

FNG
We had more tent than we needed but was nice to have the room and a backup in case of bad weather. 2 guys 6 man cabelas guide tent stored everything in their hung our waders at night. Slept and ate supper in 8 man so tipi with woodstove on cots. 4 guys on mats is possible in 6 man guide tent but can be

a pain when you have to pee at midnight
Yeah, that’s what I figured. If I had a 6/8 man I wouldn’t have even asked the ?, but I just have a 4 which is reasonable for 2.

Decisions decisions.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Im not sure of what his is, but a $5 paint roller screen for a 5 gallon bucket is what most guys I know use for their buddy heaters in their fish house. Hooks right to the top edge of the guard/screen
Thanks Badlander -sorry to derail your thread. I used the paint roller screens, but aren't great.
I think he has this:

Back to tipis....

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ray mentioned an important thing to remember about tipis. A 6-man tipi is ideal for 2 comfortably and 3 max. And I'm a recent convert to a buddy heater vs wood stove. Won't go back.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Just did a similar hunt, airboat on the river. Took my 12 man SO tipi but no stove. Talked to the transporter and he said wood for the stove would be very limited. We actually found enough dry wood in the willows for a couple camp fires. Wish I had taken the stove. We had no issues with the tipi for 2 guys and gear. 3rd guy was in a $100 Amazon tipi and he and it were fine. Take the tipi and stove. Long twisted stakes from Amazon.
Good luck on your hunt! We went 1for 3.

Thanks Badlander -sorry to derail your thread. I used the paint roller screens, but aren't great.
I think he has this:

Yeup, this is it. They have them at sportsman’s for like $20. Which reminds me to order a couple new ones. I gave both mine away last fall to people that saw it and their jaw went slack and agape.

On the wet heat issue, my brother was making fun of me this year because I sounded like the rain man saying “and they say propane won’t dry out gear!” It will dry out gear in a tipi with the vent open to push moisture out. It really dries quickly in an Arctic oven with the vapex fabric they have.