Snowbirds

ODB

WKR
I have REALLY thought about it. There are a few small towns I have lived in during winter on the east coast that I would love to stay at over the winter. My folks used to live near a beach and I would setup my office in their bonus room for several weeks at a time. that was damn nice. Kid is in college starting in the fall.... I might very well be a bi-coastal liver...

KurtR

WKR
I would go a month to train dogs but I spent enough time in Oklahoma to know I will never live extended time south of South Dakota.

I had a buddy in Wisconsin say you didn't need to go south for the winter if you drink enough "antifreeze".

Dunno, but I think they have a Tavern on every corner so maybe some truth to it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@cnelk I was thinking it too before he said it. Good topics don’t need a lot fuel and you frequently make good ones.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Older I get the more it makes perfect sense to me. A few months somewhere close enough to the gulf to fish everyday sounds about right. Winter seems to be pretty weak these days but I still don't like them.

Phaseolus

WKR
Cons: you’re constantly cussed because you disrupt the normal flow. Everything to hoarding groceries, making wait times longer in all kinds of businesses, from restaurants to dog grooming, etc. You Yankees stay away.
Where’d you shoot that Ram? ;)

I have about 20 more years but my wife and I have talked about buying one of our retirement homes already. Prices will probably be quite a bit higher if we wait too long. On the flip side the house will be 20+ years old when we move so not sure its a good thing to rush into.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have about 20 more years but my wife and I have talked about buying one of our retirement homes already. Prices will probably be quite a bit higher if we wait too long. On the flip side the house will be 20+ years old when we move so not sure its a good thing to rush into.
Probably not a bad idea… but managing a rental out of state can be a challenge

I’ll be that annoying guy on the internet, probably as usual haha. It’s important to think about what snowbirds do to local housing. If people can’t hack the winter where they live then move to California or Florida permanently and free up real estate for the working class. I’ve had to live next to snow birds in AZ and ID, they don’t care much about either community other than their ability to golf.

78aaeb29-fee5-42a1-9aaf-8596602d449d_text.gif

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My wife and I spent some time around Scottsdale/Fountain Hills area in Dec a couple years ago. There were freeze warnings the whole time we were there. At the same time we were watching one of the playoff games in Tampa Bay and it was 80 degrees there. I said "Hmmm maybe we're not looking far enough south".

We did look at a couple houses down there though. It was hard to get too serious when they had seen two years in a row of 35% appreciations. However, the last time I checked, both those houses have doubled in value since then. Hindsight sucks. I also wonder just how long the water can hold on for the growth they're seeing. And not really a fan of moving to an area that's even more crowded than here, and getting worse every day. Hmmmm......Gila Bend looks better every day.....LOL.

KHNC

WKR
Im in NC during the week and then head south to SC for wkds. Its usually 7-8 degs warmer.