Sneakers / Running Shoes

treillw

WKR
I'm fed up with my sneakers not even making it 6 months before they need to be replaced. All the tread is worn off the bottom. They wear crooked and make my knee hurt as well - separate issue. My wife wears hers out in about the same time period as well.

I never remember wearing shoes out so fast. At $100 a pair, it's kinda ridiculous that they don't last a little longer. I typically buy Asics or Brooks. They will go to the gym to run on the stair stepper on occasion. Other than that, they aren't running - too much impact on my knee. Just like them for around the house and town.

Have you found anything that holds up better?

Thanks!

I have found that hiking shoes hold up much better and cost the same. I have been buying salomons whenever they go on sale, seem to fit me the best. They track more since the tread is more aggressive is the only downfall.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I scan places like Shoes.com for deep discount shoes and then buy four pair at a time. I'm still wearing my last two pair of the four Asics I bought about five years ago for $30/pair. But I'll wear mine until they're literally falling apart before switching to another pair.

But I also agree with Skerhunter and the hikers, but I'll wear those into the ground as well. I've been wearing my Zamberlan hunting boots every elk season since 2013, but after this season they're off to the cobbler to get resoled for another 8 or 9 years on them hopefully. I get all I can and then some out of my gear.......LOL.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I scan places like Shoes.com for deep discount shoes and then buy four pair at a time. I'm still wearing my last two pair of the four Asics I bought about five years ago for $30/pair. But I'll wear mine until they're literally falling apart before switching to another pair.

But I also agree with Skerhunter and the hikers, but I'll wear those into the ground as well. I've been wearing my Zamberlan hunting boots every elk season since 2013, but after this season they're off to the cobbler to get resoled for another 8 or 9 years on them hopefully. I get all I can and then some out of my gear.......LOL.

I typically have the same mindset. But after about a half a year, shoes just start tearing my knee apart. Not worth saving the money for the pain and damage.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I typically have the same mindset. But after about a half a year, shoes just start tearing my knee apart. Not worth saving the money for the pain and damage.
I stopped all running years ago because of my knees......except during elk season. Just buy more of them and change them out sooner. I've found some great deals over the years after they've discontinued a model and put them on clearance. Asics seems to do that constantly.

zacattack

WKR
I'm fed up with my sneakers not even making it 6 months before they need to be replaced. All the tread is worn off the bottom. They wear crooked and make my knee hurt as well - separate issue. My wife wears hers out in about the same time period as well.

I never remember wearing shoes out so fast. At $100 a pair, it's kinda ridiculous that they don't last a little longer. I typically buy Asics or Brooks. They will go to the gym to run on the stair stepper on occasion. Other than that, they aren't running - too much impact on my knee. Just like them for around the house and town.

Have you found anything that holds up better?

Thanks!
Brads deals. They have ASICS pretty regularly. I think last year they had some of their gel runners for $35 shipped, I bought multiple pairs. They won’t be the latest and greatest but who cares.

Go to a true running store and not a big box store. Bring your old pair and talk with them. Have them watch you and they’ll tell you if you’re pronated or supinated and can recommend appropriate shoes. Also ask about insoles such as SuperFeet.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
I like trail shoes over running shoes/sneakers for getting around town because they hold up better. These are the 2 trail shoes I have and love them both.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
American made New Balance they last me over a year; disclaimer - I typically end up breaking down the heels

*zap*

WKR
I use Merrell barefoots. Trail Gloves and Vapor Gloves. They are my daily wear and work wear (landscape/re-model) also use them for trail hiking and trail rucking......I have no complaints and buy from ebay so I usually spend less than $50 for a new or like new pair.

Started wearing trail gloves all the time a year ago and now I wear the Vapor Gloves unless its a muddy hike....the Vapors are very, very minimalist. I think the more minimal the shoe the better it is for your feet and posterior chain.....considering the use they get the Merrells take 'forever' to wear out but I am not running on pavement and more than 1/2 the use is not on pavement/concrete.

Vapor Glove:

IMG_5599.JPG

big44a4

WKR
My wife is an elite marathon runner (qualified for the Olympic trials last year) she wears new balance 860s. It’s the best all around shoe. I barely run and mostly lift weights so get nearly a year out of mine. She runs ballpark 100 miles a week so gets around 6-8 weeks out of them from a running standpoint. They are still good for things just not up to par for support she needs to run after that many miles. Highly recommend.

I found brooks glycerin fit my feet well. I don’t run marathons, but I get a new pair every 6 months. New pair = running shoe. Prior pair = work shoe. Prior before that = lawn shoe. Repeat about twice a year.

I buy the year old models at a discount. If I had the space I would buy 10 pair at a time. Long distance runners should probably change every few months.

That said, I had a pair of Nike shoes that were a complete garbage in the whole soul fell off at work and I was supposed to go shoot trap league that night. On the way I stopped at a department store and they had about five different pairs of shoes for men. So I bought a pair of under armor. They were the biggest junk I’ve ever worn. Without doing any exercise whatsoever and just wearing them from time to time during the day the entire inside got tore apart with multiple holes in the insole.I don’t think I’ll ever buy a pair of Nike or under armor shoes again. I will stick with dedicated running shoe brands like Brooks, new balance, or saucony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob86jeep

WKR
What running shoes are you wearing out so fast and how many miles a week are you going (on and off road)?

A trail runner will wear out faster on the road because the sole is stickier.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run/hike in La Sportiva Akasha's; generally the outsole is in very good shape after 500-ish miles, but in fact the shoes are pretty much done. I'd wager most running shoes (regardless of treadwear) are pretty much done at 500 miles. When it becomes very apparent, is when you swap your old shoes for new ones at 500-ish miles, night and day.

I figure 500 miles and I've gotten my money's worth out of them. Racking up 1500-2000 trail miles years for the last 10-12 years, I've went through a lot of shoes :)

If a shoe isn't lasting 500 miles, there are plenty that will, but not much beyond that mark in my experience.

I don't run on pavement, but would venture that wear might even be a little quicker on pavement vs trails.

Went through 4 pair of Salomon speed cross 4 and 5 in the last 3 years. Did well off road not so good on blacktop because of treads. Using Brooks ghost 13 now. Like the balance but miss the stiff heel of the Salomon. Use for sprint work now not long distance for elk shape.

Rob5589

WKR
New Balance fit my foot the best of what I've tried. They last about a year or so of walking with and without my pack.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Ive been pretty happy with my Merrells and salomons. I dont run much but they usually last me 6-12 months before I have destroyed them with mud and such where they just smell horrible and arent restorable with soap and water. Havent worn the treads off a set yet.

Hoka’s are my go to running shoes! They are amazingly comfortable. Had ACL surgery 18 months ago and I run in mine and have zero knee pain/discomfort. I have a pair for running and a pair for school (elem teacher). I have a dedicated pair of Nike metcons for my lifting workouts and keens for hiking.

Having specific shoes for specific functions has make my feet very grateful!
Lesson-take care of your feet and they will take care of you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your shoes are wearing uneven you need to see an ortho for some inserts or a shoe.

For lots of standing I don't think you'll find anything even close to as comfortable as Hoka Bondi/Clifton.

For running I really like my brooks glycerins or ghost