Snares

muleman

WKR
Anyone have experience using snares for coyotes in semi-rural areas?

My son would like to set a trap line using snares. He is looking to keep prime fur and bounty anything else.

He has a few traps but for the money he could have a lot bigger line with snares. We know there are a few options for live snare sets for the areas where it is possible to catch a rural dog. We would like to hear anyone's advice and experiences.

Recommendation on snares and miscellaneous supplies would be of interest too.

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used too many snares.. however it depends on how "semi-rural" you are if you are doing it where there is a possibility of dogs I'm not sure its worth it.. even if you are legal would you really want to fuss with someone and catching their dog?

but like i said I don't know how semi rural you are or your chances to catch a dog only you do.

trapping is definitely a blast especially for kids! just make sure its a good experience!

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
It's rural enough that there shouldn't be any unattended dogs. Yet close enought that he can keep it checked. I'm not worried about dogs in the area for the main coyote line. However, I'm trying to get access to some fields above houses that have some fox and racoon. It could be possible that those sets could catch small dogs and we'd want to use live snares there.

jmez

WKR
I used to trap quite a bit and used a lot of snares.

The main problem with a relaxing lock snare is a fox and especially a coyote will chew them off before you get there. I used washer locks if there was a chance of catching a dog. I caught a landowners dog twice in them and let him go unharmed twice. Before anyone gets all up in arms I was trapping/snaring the place by invitation of the landowner to remove predators. He knew where my sets were to be placed and he assured my he would keep his dog clear of the area. I didn't put an kill snares where I thought the dog might roam.

For killing I used an Amberg lock with a spring. Absolutely deadly on canines of any type, and quick. Never much sign of a struggle at the catch site. Haven't set any for a few years so not sure what they are using now.

On coons you will want a relaxing lock and you want to catch them around the middle behind the fore legs. They are tapered and pretty hard to snare around the neck, they will back out of them. I used washer locks on them as well.

I used to get all of my supplies from MB (Minnesota Brand) Products. I would recommend you call them and tell them your situation and ask their opinion. Tim Caven is the owners name and he will be very helpful if you give him a call. Nice guy and very knowledgeable.

jmez

WKR
I'll also add, if there are any house cats around you will kill them if they get in a snare. Even a relaxing lock. Dogs will figure out pretty quick it quits choking them if they quit pulling. A cat goes batshit crazy in a snare and won't quit fighting.

bairdi

FNG
If you are ordering snares, check out the Snare Shop. They are super helpful on the phone and can get you set up. They'll even custom make snares for you too. Every few years I order a big batch of semi-custom wolf snares from them. I'll also second what jmez said about Minnesota Trapline Products. They are awesome to deal with as well. Between those two outfits, I am able to take care of most of my trapping gear needs, with the exception of a couple of lures that are made by one man operations and wolf traps which are made right here in Fairbanks.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Thanks, I've spent some time reasearching on both those sites.

Bairdi, are you able to reuse your wolf snares? I've been following a prolific yote snarer who usually ends up tossing the snare after one use. He's using ram power snares.

We just picked up 30 acres of ponds and marsh that are full of muskrats. So were getting more 110s, LS #1 and LS #11s. I'm hoping to get some mink and weasel out of this marsh too.

After we get this marsh set we'll be back after our snares.

bairdi

FNG
I don't have any experience with the power snares. I don't re-use snares after a catch. If they don't catch something, often times I'll leave them in place (with the loop closed) and then the next year all I have to do is show up and open the loop back up. If I pick them up, then they get re-boiled to descent them before being set again. I do have to add as a disclaimer that I'm far from an expert with snares or wolves. I'm pretty conservative with setting them to try to limit non-target catches as much as possible. I have alot of moose around and really don't want to deal with one of those in snare. The snares I use, even for coyotes and cats all have some form of a breakaway device (450 lb ferrule on the wolf snares and 200 lb s-hook on the smaller ones) so that the loop will break in case of a non-target catch.

jmez

WKR
Good point on the non target catches. I put deer stops on all my snares to keep deer and antelope out of them.

You won't be able to reuse any snares after a catch. They are a once and done item.