Smooth bow for bad shoulder

Hey guys, long story but I’ve got bad arthritis in my left shoulder from an old injury. Makes shooting my bow painful and not fun. I currently shoot a 10-12 year old Matthew’s z7 that maxes at 70, but I’ve backed it off to 60 or so.

I’m thinking 60 will be my max going forward and I know now’s perform bast at max so I’m thinking of getting a new (or slightly used) bow.

I’m more concerned with smooth draw than speed, although I’d like to be able to shoot a deer to 40 yards.

Bows have come a long way in the last 10 years so looking for some ideas. I’ve been told Bowtech is good for my parameters.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered a crossbow?

In many states, if you get a doctor’s note about a shoulder injury you can use a crossbow for archery season/tags, but it depends on the state and if your injury is bad enough.

OP
C
Have you considered a crossbow?

In many states, if you get a doctor’s note about a shoulder injury you can use a crossbow for archery season/tags, but it depends on the state and if your injury is bad enough.

No. I dislike crossbows with a passion. They’re legal here during bow season but I refuse.

I’ll got to a 40 lb bow and limit my shots before I do that.

jimh406

WKR
I think the lowest percentage letoff would be the way to go. The buildup should be much slower.

I haven't checked recently, but generally, you gain a little in transferred energy with bows that have less percentage letoff. You might be able to have similar performance with less overall draw weight.

If you don't have one, I'd also consider using a Saunders Power Pull archery trainer that can help strengthen your shoulder without pulling through the letoff in a normal practice session.

Perceptions of smoothness are highly subjective, but Z7's (like many single cam bows of that era) have a reputation for being quite smooth. Generally speaking, bows with a lower IBO speed and higher brace height feel smoother.

You're going to find a lot of the new bows cam designs are horrible for sore shoulders. I don't know if it's your drawing shoulder that is the issue, or your bow hand shoulder, (mine is the drawing shoulder old pitching injury) but for me, none of these new bows feel good to me.

I shoot an old Mathews single cam just fine. Bought a V3, set it way down, absolutely killed me and I sold it two weeks later. Hoyt no better. At the time I tried the Ultra and the Ventum. I shot them for about 20 minutes, and my shoulder would hurt for a week. The draw cycle on these new bows is all up front. Everything is in the first inch or so. It absolutely kills me so I made the decision to stay with what I have. I actually ordered another old Mathews (same bow) as a backup.

Good luck

Dennis

WKR
I agree Mathews EZ-7's were pretty smooth and the longer No-Cams were pretty smooth. You might try one of the Elite bows with comfort cams. The Elite Omina is pretty smooth with the comfort cams. You might also drop poundage a little more.

dtrkyman

WKR
Purely for draw cycle an Oneida.

Otherwise a single cam, Bear is still making a few.

Reactions: MCR
I know you stated arthritus, but it might help for you get get evaluated by a physical therapist. Get checked for ROM, flexibility, and strength, Then tell them your goal and they should be able to get you back on par

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
The Prime Revex is very smooth drawing. You can get them new or used on ebay now for $600-$900.

OP
C
I know you stated arthritus, but it might help for you get get evaluated by a physical therapist. Get checked for ROM, flexibility, and strength, Then tell them your goal and they should be able to get you back on par

Nope, she’s bone on bone. Will be a replacement eventually unfortunately.

It’s in my genes. Had a knee replacement 7 years ago already.

For straight smooth draw, I’d be after an Elite energy or synergy. Not “new” by any means, but their draw cycle is pretty damn smooth.

nphunter

WKR
Letting down is the hardest thing on your shoulder, I had surgery on my draw shoulder and for years would only draw if I knew I could shoot, I also changed the way I draw my bow keeping my arm low and close to my body and bringing it to anchor after it's back, I think changing the way I draw was the biggest thing that helped. I started out with my wife's 40lb bow right after surgery and by hunting season I was shooting a 60lb bow, since I've gotten so I can draw 80lbs easy but it took a lot of work to get my shoulder where it is today. Mine also wasn't worn out but torn from an accident.

If I needed an easier draw I would look at a faster bow with less draw weight, maybe a PSE Levitate S2 or similar in 40-50lbs. My son hunts and has killed a couple 4 point mule deer bucks shooting mid 40lbs and mechanicals so you really are not losing much going to a light bow.

Don't overlook womens bows, the Moxie Angel is an awesome bow, my wife and both boys shoot one, they are lightweight, fast and draw smooth, and they offer a short and long draw versions. I know several other women's bows are smooth shooters as well and I think those are good options and easy on the shoulder.

My first bow was an elite energy 35 and due to the axle to axle length and setup it was very easy to draw at 70. Easiest bow I've drawn. No mathews bow I've had and shot has ever been as easy and smooth but I like the mathews bows for a lot of reasons. The shorter axle to axle bows will be harder for sure. I stay at 32 or more.

Scoot

WKR
Elite has a number of options that are as smooth as there is. The new PSE EC2 cam in a longer bow (Mach 34 as an example) would be a very good option too.

sndmn11

WKR
Shoot a deer at 40yds? Find as many 50 and 60lb bows as you can, and shoot them. There's no reason you can't pass through a deer at that distance with a 50lb bow. If you are worried about velocity, lower the arrow weight.

What you might call smooth is possibly a bit different than the opinion of someone else because cams load at different parts of the draw cycle. You still will hit the peak weight, it is just a matter of if that plateau matches up with where your body feels best in the cycle.

Shoot them all!

TheTone

WKR
Lots of good advice; shoot 50-60 lbs. Bows I’ve shot lately I thought were really smooth are the new primes, bowtech ss models, pse’s with evolve cams