Smoker/Pellet grill advice, recommendations for setup capable of low temps.

I’ve found that the tabletop mini solo stove set up in the fire box of a medium offset holds a really consistent mid 100’s. You’ll have to adjust your burn rate on the ambient temp but you get a clean smoke taste instead of smoldering wood.

Seubs070

FNG
Green mountain has a cold smoke mode. You put a smoke tube in it for smoke and it will run the fan to circulate the smoke.

mthayr

WKR
I’m looking to start smoking fish and Jerky. I’m interested in a setup that I can smoke consistently at a low temp. Let’s say 145-165degrees, but also able to run at higher temps for grilling and smoking other cuts.

I’m ok spending around 2k but only if I have to and the quality is there. I’m ok with a cabinet smoker or offset.

I prefer electric, but could go with propane. Have a green egg already so don’t want charcoal.

I’m not sure if a Trager or similar would work, seems like 180 degrees is the low temp for most that will post a value. I’ve looked a lot of them over and most of them seem to be mass produced and flimsy. Hoping for something solid.

Finding a setup that can deliver consistent low temps is a challenge

Anyone have a suggestion or setup that fits the bill?

Thank you in advance!
You're looking for a Yoder smoker.

145-165degrees, but also able to run at higher temps for grilling and smoking other cuts: 150-700F
the quality is there... something solid: It needs a counterweight to balance the door - made in Kansas, USA
Its electric! (boogie-woogie-woogie-woogie)

They're pricey, but are about the most feature packed (did I mention 150-700F?) and robust pellet smoker out there.

I have a Camp Chef Woodwind that has a 165 degree F setting. It works great for fish and low smoking kielbasa and other sausages. If I really want to make sure it is a low temp smoke, I prop open the cover just a little bit. Never done anything needs a really low temp like cheese or something on it though. I really like that I can crank it up to almost 400 for grilling. I like it so much I got rid of my propane grill and only use the camp chef. The downside of this set up is it takes a little longer to heat up when you are just grilling.

Waddi

FNG
I’ve had great luck with my green mountain grill, its holds at 150 just fine and has settings to adjust to the surrounding ambient temp. In the two years I’ve owned it I had 1 issue where the power cord broke and they quick shipped me a new one on their dime.

I had a green mountain grill and had nothing but problems with it, literally. It was a complete lemon. All I did was replace parts on it. Extremely frustrating and finally got rid of it. And it was new when I was having all the problems.
Got a recteq and love it. Zero problems and runs like a watch. Better build quality as well.
I had a Green Mountain and did the same thing, replace parts. I'm not knocking them as mine was free but after replacing the auger which froze up I still had issues. IDK. Just my experience.

I bought a Next Grill vertical smoker. I will do 150 - 500 and has lots of room. Home Depot has or did have an exclusive on them. It has some hang ups like the pellets not feeding even when you have a good supply in the hopper. I think the hopper needs to have steeper sides. It does a good job but it's also stopped smoking due to the pellet feed and occasionally it will just error out. There weren't any reviews on it when I bought it as it had just come out. I've learned how to deal with the quirks so for me it's been pretty good. If I had to do it again I might go with Camp Chef which seems to be a really respected brand with good features.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
You're looking for a Yoder smoker.

145-165degrees, but also able to run at higher temps for grilling and smoking other cuts: 150-700F
the quality is there... something solid: It needs a counterweight to balance the door - made in Kansas, USA
Its electric! (boogie-woogie-woogie-woogie)

They're pricey, but are about the most feature packed (did I mention 150-700F?) and robust pellet smoker out there.
Awesome thank you !

I have a Camp Chef Woodwind that has a 165 degree F setting. It works great for fish and low smoking kielbasa and other sausages. If I really want to make sure it is a low temp smoke, I prop open the cover just a little bit. Never done anything needs a really low temp like cheese or something on it though. I really like that I can crank it up to almost 400 for grilling. I like it so much I got rid of my propane grill and only use the camp chef. The downside of this set up is it takes a little longer to heat up when you are just grilling.
I would second the camp chef woodwind. Grill chicken/steaks, smoke low temp with a smoke tube, and smoke anything else you want. It’s been probably my favorite purchase ever.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Recteq 700 with the Smokebox and for cold smoking it works great. You can cold smoke fish and cheeses in it no problem. I typically do my jerky in the main body of the smoker. Temps in the main body are around 170-180 for lows. In the Smoke box you can get in the 150's easily. You can't beat Recteq's customer service either. Great people to work with.!!

I use an electric vault smoker with a side smoke generator for low temp smoking. This would include fish and cheese. For all other general smoking (low and slow) like brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc, I use a pellet grill. Pellet grill make great food and make the smoking process easy. However, they don’t have a low temp option, and they’re not as tasty smoke-wise as an offset smoker. Really, you need every type of smoke to do it all.

I use mine in my big plywood smoker when I want to do stuff like cheese etc. View attachment 710167
Not cheese but gives you an idea.
For cold smoking I built ply wood box like above and then use a-maze smoke grate. Haven’t upgraded to pellet one yet. mine is the sawdust one.

My Yoder goes from 150-600 both extreme end are alittle finky, but on 150 if you take the external smoke tube off it is alittle more consistent on lower level. Only problem with Yoder is box size, I can cold smoke a whole deer in sausage or jerky in my plywood box, Yoder maybe 1/8 at a time

atmat

WKR
I’ve used pretty much every pellet smoker brand on the market. The best is the MAK brand, made in the USA in Oregon with marine-grade stainless.

Their smoke feature is down to 150 or so, but they also have a cold smoke chamber on the right side that allows smoke (after it’s cooled some) to enter.

I’ve cold smoked cheeses, salt, nuts, jerky, etc. It’s a great product, though very expensive.

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a camp chef woodwind 24. I have the second to latest model. The newest model has a built in smoke tray where you can put chips, pellets, charcoal...etc. That might be the ticket for you.

This is my first year with it and I've been making some really great food with it. I hate to say it but I haven't touched my grill since I got it which is surprising to me. I used to grill 3x per week.

I'm going to try some snack sticks, summer sausage and adding a little smoke to some jerky this year.