First time wild pig on pellet smoker. Advice?

Okay, lets start with, did you read my first post in this thread.

So, in relation to your question, did you not read the part my post that you referance that talks about trichinosis? Did you not get the implied connection between a minimum internal meat temp of 160 degrees to assure trichinosis is killed?

I wrote that post as an informative post for those that read this thread and are unawsre that pigs can carry trichinosis, as many more people than the OP will read this thread, just like you did.

z987k

WKR
Okay, lets start with, did you read my first post in this thread.

So, in relation to your question, did you not read the part my post that you referance that talks about trichinosis? Did you not get the implied connection between a minimum internal meat temp of 160 degrees to assure trichinosis is killed?

I wrote that post as an informative post for those that read this thread and are unawsre that pigs can carry trichinosis, as many more people than the OP will read this thread, just like you did.
Ok, that's fair. You're just trying to inform people.
It just read really bizarre to me, I mostly operate under the assumption that everyone who knows anything about pigs, or really any omnivore or carnivore can have trichinosis. You'll have a real bad time if you don't know this going in.
There's a near 100% chance of getting it if you eat enough wild pig or bear without proper food handling and cooking.

Ok, that's fair. You're just trying to inform people.
It just read really bizarre to me, I mostly operate under the assumption that everyone who knows anything about pigs, or really any omnivore or carnivore can have trichinosis. You'll have a real bad time if you don't know this going in.
There's a near 100% chance of getting it if you eat enough wild pig or bear without proper food handling and cooking.
following the recommend freezing procedures kills trichinosis in most animals except for artic animals I have a very plasuable reasion as to why. But, it is still recommend cooking to at least 160.

z987k

WKR
following the recommend freezing procedures kills trichinosis in most animals except for artic animals I have a very plasuable reasion as to why. But, it is still recommend cooking to at least 160.
Ya, it's not worth the risk.

SwiftShot

WKR
Today I broke in my new pellet grill/smoker with a wild pig ham from our yearly pig hunt about a month ago. Here's what I did:

Shot this little sow about a half hour into my first sit in the evening.
View attachment 535560

Made a simple kosher salt and sugar brine, and brined one ham for 38 hours. Pulled it out and wiped it down, injected apple juice with a little Worcestershire sauce all around, then rubbed it with some fire and smoke "pork perfect" rub that was given to me.

View attachment 535561

Smoked it on the "smoke " setting for an hour, which ran at 180°, then turned it to 225° until I went out and internal temp was 144°, which took about 3.5 hours.

View attachment 535562

Then wrapped it in foil and kept the grill at 225° for another 3.5 hours, for a total of 7 hrs on the grill. Internal temp was 192° when pulled off the grill. I let it rest while cooking up the side dishes.

View attachment 535563

View attachment 535564

The wife and I ate our fill for dinner tonight. Taste was great! Good smoke ring, and we really like the rub, only thing was it wasn't as tender as expected. Definitely not tough, but not tender either.

Now my question for you guys. Is there anything I can do on the next one to have it come out more tender? Longer or different brine, different injection, lower and slower or longer on the grill?

Thanks in advance!
I rub mine with mustard to hold the seasoning on. The mustard will hold the rub like glue. I also run mine on the smoke much longer. Your temp was right, maybe to fast that is all I can think of.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
The process you told according to that I think it should be tender enough but idk why you didn’t find it tender. Anyways you can try to add the bacon drippings and pull at 205 and I’m sure it will be enough. Best of luck next time.

OP
I

IALoder

FNG
The process you told according to that I think it should be tender enough but idk why you didn’t find it tender. Anyways you can try to add the bacon drippings and pull at 205 and I’m sure it will be enough. Best of luck next time.
It wasn't tough by any means, tasted great, makes great sandwiches. Like a few guys at work said, like a well seasoned well done steak. Was a bit dry, but as the guys here said, no fat in it! Next one will get smoked, then braised till 205°, I think that should do it.

Rambo85

FNG
Eveone talks about how good wild pig is. I never found it to be very good and I have tried to cook them 20 different ways.

When I cook a wild hog, I can't get that smell of the butchering process out of my mind. I will likely never bring another one out of the woods unless someone else wants it.
Seems like it matters more where they are killed, wild pigs that have been hitting the ag fields are pretty amazing

Taste was fine but like yours, a little tougher than restaurant pulled pork.

View attachment 535723

View attachment 535722
With pulled meat from anything lean (venison, wild pig, whatever), one thing that helps is after you pull it, add some fat to the mix. You can use butter, lard, bacon grease, whatever, but what it does is just lightly coat the meat and take away that dryness you get with leaner pulled meat.

I make carnitas with the ones I have killed in the past. Lots of liquid in the crock pot or Dutch oven, then let it go low and slow until tender. Plenty of recipes online to look through.

Pull it, get a cast iron skillet smoking hot, add in some lard or avocado oil and get it crispy on one side.
Pick your taco toppings ( I prefer pickled red onions, cotija cheese, cilantro and Mexican hot sauce of choice) and put on heated/charred corn tortillas.

I'd skip the buttered noodles and mushy carrots for sides with this dish of course. But you do you!

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t smoked any yet as I do not have a smoker ( I know I suck) but we do carnitas, chili verde, pulled pork bbq, etc, in the oven and its always great. Usually 2-4 hours of low oven temp does the trick and its always 200+ before it breaks down and is soft. Still get the few pieces that are not as soft but maybe a skirt/flank steak chewiness. +1 for hank shaw recipes.

andersson

FNG
Anyone familiar with Virginia ham? Years ago I was cooking at a nursing home and I scored a couple of Virginia hams for Easter dinner. I baked them in milk. Really low and slow, in a roasting pan not much bigger than the hams, in maybe 3 inches of whole milk, covered with a lid. Not much for spices -- Virginia hams have plenty of flavor. This one old grandpa actually got tears in his eyes. He said that was just like his grandmother's Easter ham and he hadn't had any for 70 years. That right there was worth the effort.

DirtyLee

FNG
Store bought pork ribs, I run the smoker around 275 with just S&P. Wild pork needs a little more care. Smoker around 225 and the meets has to get in the 203 range. I simple glaze at the very end really helps my wife to get around the slight gamey taste.

OP
I

IALoder

FNG
I finally got a chance to revisit this today with the other hindquarter from the same pig. Used the Meat Church "Mexican pulled pork" as a guide, and turned out great! First I brined it overnight in a simple salt/sugar/water brine

20230625_123158.jpg

Next I used Cholula hot sauce as a binder and liberally seasoned it with Meat Church Fajita seasoning.

20230625_124621.jpg

Put it on the grill at 250°, came back to check it about 3.5 hours later after getting a bunch of stuff done, and it looked like it was ready to go in the pan, meat was reading at 168°
20230625_150837.jpg

Put it in the only foil pan I had, used a little over a cup of chicken stock I had in the fridge as braising liquid, and put a bit more Cholula and seasoning on top. Covered it, and it went back in at 250°

20230625_163428.jpg

2.5 hours later the probe reading was bouncing between 206&208, so I pulled it out, and let it cool off for about a half hour before shredding.

Snapchat-1534025570.jpg

The bone came out clean, and it shredded pretty quick and easy! The wife and I then used it as the meat in our "street tacos". It was great, and the wife loves it. Will definitely do this again for the other 2 hindquarters I have!

20230625_195447.jpg

Last edited:

poboy2214

FNG
I quarter and debone mine, and put them in an ice chest of slushy (ice and water) brine for a week before butchering; often adding spices to the brine. Once butchered, I add spices wrap, seal and put them in the freezer until its time to smoke them. I have yet to experience any feral pig, young to old, sow or boar, that has been anything but tender and moist. Oh, almost forgot, I always smoke with a can of water in the smoker, toping off as needed. It keeps you meet moist.
I second the water or some form of liquid in the smoker. For pork I like to do equal parts apple cider vinegar and water, then sometimes toss in a chopped up onion. A neighbor in Texas taught me that and the results have always been great.

andersson

FNG
I finally got a chance to revisit this today with the other hindquarter from the same pig. Used the Meat Church "Mexican pulled pork" as a guide, and turned out great! First I brined it overnight in a simple salt/sugar/water brine

View attachment 569197

Next I used Cholula hot sauce as a binder and liberally seasoned it with Meat Church Fajita seasoning.

View attachment 569198

Put it on the grill at 250°, came back to check it about 3.5 hours later after getting a bunch of stuff done, and it looked like it was ready to go in the pan, meat was reading at 168°
View attachment 569199

Put it in the only foil pan I had, used a little over a cup of chicken stock I had in the fridge as braising liquid, and put a bit more Cholula and seasoning on top. Covered it, and it went back in at 250°

View attachment 569202

2.5 hours later the probe reading was bouncing between 206&208, so I pulled it out, and let it cool off for about a half hour before shredding.

View attachment 569203

The bone came out clean, and it shredded pretty quick and easy! The wife and I then used it as the meat in our "street tacos". It was great, and the wife loves it. Will definitely do this again for the other 2 hindquarters I have!

View attachment 569201
DUDE, I would eat that whole thing by myself.

andersson

FNG
I second the water or some form of liquid in the smoker. For pork I like to do equal parts apple cider vinegar and water, then sometimes toss in a chopped up onion. A neighbor in Texas taught me that and the results have always been great.
"or some form of liquid in the smoker."
Beer or apple juice (or cider) is a great option.
The key to all this is the BRINING.
If you're going to add spices to the brine, try sage and black pepper and a little allspice. Juniper berries if you have some.

OP
I

IALoder

FNG
DUDE, I would eat that whole thing by myself.
It was very tasty! The guys at work loved it as well, definitely a keeper of a recipe! I do wish the hindquarter was a bit bigger though, made enough for dinner for my wife and I, some to share at work, and 2 lunches.