First time wild pig on pellet smoker. Advice?

andersson

FNG
First time I ate wild piggie I was guiding for elk on a late-season hunt in eastern Oregon and this GREAT client from northern California brought me a brined and cold-smoked ham from his ranch. I about passed out it was so good and I wouldn't even share any more than a bite for each of the other guys (maybe 8). He laughed. He also brought us bleu cheese (he had dairy cows too, his place was near Ferndale if I recall). He would NOT say how he did that ham, but it was bygod one of the tastiest game things I EVER ate.

ccc9092

FNG
The Hog Book (https://thehogbook.com) is an invaluable source of information on butchering and cooking feral hogs. From the book he really stresses brining the meat before cooking and it's a simple step that has greatly improved my cooked hogs, no matter the cut of meat.

andersson

FNG
I learned about brining in 2007 after THESE professionals taste-tested FORTY turkeys.

Sometimes I'll buy a turkey boob and brine that. Or try a big pork loin -- that'll convert you for sure.

SDHNTR

WKR
I do this regularly. You did almost everything right. I never run the temp over 180 and I go longer. Usually 10+ hours. For the last 4-6 hours tho, when it gets the foil treatment, there’s always a cup or two of some apple juice and chicken stock in the foil tent. Wild pork will dry out quickly.

I smoked a whole “traeger” a few weeks ago and it came it out pretty great. I took it to the usual ~202 temp but certainly there was a few areas that were a little more crispy than others. We shredded the whole thing and it was great in tacos. I think you just need to realize these hogs aren’t the big feeder hogs you get when you buy a pork shoulder from Costco. There isn’t nearly as much fat so I’d you want that you should add more. I draped bacon over it and added it to the pulled pork. No one in the family had any complaints. Not as good as the times I’ve smoked a whole hog from a butcher but still tasty. If you need a better texture or flavor just make sure you have your sauce dialed in. A good sauce can cover up a lot of flaws. As far any diseases go, if you cook your pork to temp that you can shred it by hand there’s no way anything that can hurt you will survive.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good stuff here. I’m trying to learn the whys behind these different processes. Why do you brine? Why do you braise? The mustard tip for holding the seasoning was gold, but why does it do it? There‘s a ton of folks here that I would be willing to invite myself to dinner. Great thread.

OP
I

IALoder

FNG
I believe the brining helps with removing some of the "gamey taste", and is supposed to add some moisture to the meat. I think the binder is just a wet ingredient that helps keep the dry seasoning on the meat.