Small Lantern for Backpacking

Bubba

FNG
I'm looking for a Lantern (non Battery) thats light weight and can be carried in your back pack. "I seen a picture with Aron using one when he was skinning out an elk" Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bubba

I read the reviews on the Primos Easy Light. It seems like a great device but I am wondering if an LED flashlight with a diffuser tip would be better for backpack hunting. The LED burns batteries but not many. I am sure the gas lantern probably doesn't burn much gas, but I read where it can burn up all your fuel if left on the canister overnight. The one big advantage I can see with gas is having a heat source to dry out gloves etc. and reduce tent condensation.

I read the reviews on the Primos Easy Light. It seems like a great device but I am wondering if an LED flashlight with a diffuser tip would be better for backpack hunting. The LED burns batteries but not many. I am sure the gas lantern probably doesn't burn much gas, but I read where it can burn up all your fuel if left on the canister overnight. The one big advantage I can see with gas is having a heat source to dry out gloves etc. and reduce tent condensation.

Completely agree. I'd think that an extra battery for a bright flashlight would be cheaper than the extra gas.

There is also the solar lantern. Is plenty bright in tipi. Lasts a couple nights on one charge and you can recharge if needed.

If willing to skip the fuel style...

The Luci lanterns are pretty slick. I have a couple of them. Just leave them outside during the day and you should be A OK for a week, as long you left home with a full charge.

https://www.mpowerd.com/

The fuel canister ones do chuck some heat from what I've read, so two birds one stone if you want to warm the tent up a bit too.

I think I will add a couple of these to my pack. Thank you

The Luci lanterns are pretty slick. I have a couple of them. Just leave them outside during the day and you should be A OK for a week, as long you left home with a full charge.

The fuel canister ones do chuck some heat from what I've read, so two birds one stone if you want to warm the tent up a bit too.

I got the MSR Micron more for the heating capabilities than the lighting. Most all of my hunting is during the archery season and I just want to be able to take the chill off every morning.......especially when I'm above treeline without much fuel for a stove.

I fire up my jetboil in my tent for about 2 minutes. Heats my entire tent quickly.

I got the MSR Micron more for the heating capabilities than the lighting. Most all of my hunting is during the archery season and I just want to be able to take the chill off every morning.......especially when I'm above treeline without much fuel for a stove.

I'll cast a vote for these guys, they work awesome and compress down to nothing.

Anyone used a keova gas lantern ? About to pull the trigger on a small lantern these are a tad cheaper option than a primus or Coleman just curious if the durability is comparable.

Ever considered putting a headlamp inverted on a milk jug? I have a small 1qt plastic milk jug that I carry for that purpose. Lightweight and has other uses as well.

Back