Scope for aging Dad

Floater00

Lil-Rokslider
Driving home from a recent hunt my Dad said that his current rifle is too heavy for him anymore.

I'm going to pickup a basic light weight rifle in an easy shooting caliber for him.

I would like to top it with a lighter weight 3x9 ish scope. Important factors are:

-dependable
-low light
- eye relief
-simple reticle

This scope will not be dialed. It will be a set it and forget it, shots inside 300 (mostly closer) yards settup for my Dad.

I've read a bunch of threads but haven't seen a consensus on this type of scope.

Advice and recommendations would be much appreciated.

bnsafe

WKR
I just bought a trijicon accupoint that weighs 13.4 oz. My eyes suck so I wanted the thicker reticle. The scope is great, but if I had it to do over again I would prob get the credo cause you can turn the light on. I dont think the green dot in the accupoint does much. credo is 17 oz tho so its a small trade off.

I like my lighted Meopta scopes but they're not lightweight.
Burris Fullfield line is very nice and offers a lighted reticle.

vx-3i_2.5-8x36_1in_170678_p-1.png

Leupold 2.5-8x36mm would be perfect.

vx-3i_3.5-10x40_1in_170680_p-1.png

Leupold 3.5-10x40mm perfect also!!

OP
F

Floater00

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the suggestions.

Does anyone else have experience with the trijicon accupoint in terms of the illuminated reticle dot? Does it help in low light?

bnsafe

WKR
I just got mine and yes its visible in low light. For me its not visible in normal light at all. I wanted the thicker reticle for my eyes and it def has a much thicker reticle than my leupold does. Great for shorter shots, maybe not so much if your going long

JGRaider

WKR
The Leupold VX3 will be perfect for your dad, either the 3.5-10x or the 2.5-8x. A 1" tubed Swaro scope would be the last thing I'd want, having seen mine, and 3 buddies fail miserably on mule deer hunts.

TxLite

WKR
Thank you for all the suggestions.

Does anyone else have experience with the trijicon accupoint in terms of the illuminated reticle dot? Does it help in low light?

This is a 2.5-12.5 mil dot at roughly 30 yards, don’t remember the zoom level but was thinking 2.5x since the suppressor is visible in the scope. Might be wrong. Pic was taken about a year ago. Not a great picture, but the green dot is pretty fine. I still find it very easy to find when I get behind the scope. Particularly against a dark background where you might lose the reticle.

03C99BF0-0759-476C-AE29-8A784274F103.jpeg

OP
F

Floater00

Lil-Rokslider
So far the Accupoint seems to be checking the boxes.

Budget is kinda whatever it needs to be get the right scope for him. That said, I was hoping to stay under $1000.

bnsafe

WKR
midway usa had a good sale on them. Just sighted mine in and I can say much bad about it. the eye relief is small. but once you get it where it needs to be it did exactly what a scope is suppose to do. reticle is thick, green shown good. very nice scopes.

sdupontjr

WKR
I just bought a trijicon accupoint that weighs 13.4 oz. My eyes suck so I wanted the thicker reticle. The scope is great, but if I had it to do over again I would prob get the credo cause you can turn the light on. I dont think the green dot in the accupoint does much. credo is 17 oz tho so its a small trade off.
You won't find a better low light optic this lite in that price range. As stated in many post the green isn't all that great. The amber is the best one, at least for everyone around here that uses them. My son has the 2.5-10x56 with amber dot and its very nice. I ended up taking the plung for my old eyes and bought a SB Polar.