Pack suggestions

Tcatt

FNG
I’m planning a back country elk hunt and looking for recommendations on a light weight pack. I will be going out for 3-5 days at a time. I’m new to this and all the packs on the market are over whelming! Any advice is appreciated!

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using the initial ascent. Love this pack. Not a ton of guys using them but the ones that do love them.. great customer service, I called with questions before I picked up a used one and the owner answered the phone and we talked for over 30 minutes. It wasn’t just a sales pitch for him. He knew I was looking at a lightly used pack and still answered every question I had.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Stone glacier packs are probably the best lightweight hunting packs out there. Seek outside seems pretty awesome as well. If weight is a priority, I’d only look at those 2.

That new stone glacier terminus is under 4lbs….

nobody

WKR
Stone Glacier. Lowest weight, highest performing pack per dollar. You welcome.

OP
Tcatt

Tcatt

FNG
Thanks guys, I’m going to check into all of these!

Start by you tubing pack fitting videos. And pack fitting videos.
That way it will help you narrow down if you have a flat back or curved back.
Once you figure that out it helps you narrow the frames down.
Then just pick a bag you like the looks of in the 5k ish range and give er heck.

Seek Outside is a great choice. Stone Glacier is also competitive when it comes to weight/cost ratio. They are differently designed suspensions and while I think the Seek Outside suspension is a lot better the Stone Glacier is no slouch.

I'd recommend calling the companies and letting them explain their packs to you. The big ones in my opinion are the two previously mentioned as well as Kifaru, Exo, and Mystery Ranch. If you find a pack from those that fit you well, you literally can't go wrong although you might not prefer every feature you end up with.

I got a mystery ranch selway 60 for $250 on ebay new. It's great but I'd recommend trying a few different one on first

I've had great luck with the EXO Mountain Gear K2 3200 pack. I've used it since it first came out and never have wanted or needed to upgrade it. I wore the zippers out on the lid and rather then just try to fix it they sent me a replacement no questions asked. They just came out with the K4 system and it looks impressive! https://exomtngear.com/