Slik Sling V3 - Any users yet?

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider

Has anyone had a chance to lay their hands on the new Slik Sling V3? Still in search of a good way to carry my rifle.

ChrisAU

WKR
I just used the previous generation on a week long mule deer hunt and absolutely loved it compared to the KIfaru gunbearer style setups. Will have to look into this.

Edit to add: I used the Exo butt holder piece, I already had it bridged from the pack to the waist belt to use with the Kifaru gun bearer upper. The new cradle in this V3 version looks awful at first glance.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Wow that’s “busy” - I already found the V2 system to be a bit over the top as well, or is it very busy, and this latest iteration looks like it’s getting a little too cute. But can’t really knock it till you try it - I’m not putting something that complicated on my pack….

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I have a V3 arriving soon that I should be able to start using this weekend and give first impressions here.

I'm rarely an early adopter or among the first to order something when it's released, but I've used the V1 and V2 slik slings the last few seasons and really like the design and the hardware improvements that were made with V2.

V3 is a departure from many aspects of the V1/V2 approach. No more of the strap wrapped fully around the barrel, redirected by the clip, and then secured by the locking cam buckle. This new strap that looks like a ski strap seems like it could be faster to remove and easier to identify as different than a backpack strap. If you've ever grabbed your pack's shoulder harness adjustment instead of the tail end of the webbing that runs through the cam buckle, when quickly releasing your rifle, you know what I'm talking about.

The method of attaching to the pack shoulder harness is different as well, and could allow more options for placement, depending on your pack.

One of the biggest changes appears to be the strap for the buttstock has gone from a webbing loop to a saddle with a support bar. I'm very curious to see how this holds different stocks and what it's like to have it secured to the hip belt.

Last edited:
OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I have not used either, but it seems like I would prefer a hybrid of the V3 strap system on top and the simpler, lighter bottom of the V2.