Slik 824 at Cameraland

Couldn’t resist, CameraLand has the Slik 824 on sale for $149. I was strongly considering the Sirui ST-124. For the price and screw off center Column (for Shooting Prone) sold me.

I hope the Slik is as good quality as everyone says, never handled it in person.

gburk

WKR
824 is awesome. I’d carry the extra weight over my 634 for the rigidity. That’s the best deal in tripods that I’m aware of; I’m surprised they haven’t sold out of them yet.

OP
B
824 is awesome. I’d carry the extra weight over my 634 for the rigidity. That’s the best deal in tripods that I’m aware of; I’m surprised they haven’t sold out of them yet.
That’s what I thought, for $149 I couldn’t pass it up. I’ll likely be running it without the long section of the center column, this will eliminate another 6oz bringing it under 3lbs.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the 824 with fluid head for $199 last month. Have only used it on my back porch so far, but seems solid quality.

It seems like 4 leg tripods are a lot more popular than 3. Is rigidity not any better on the 3 leg versions? I feel like they'd be nicer purely for fewer leg sections to lock.

OP
B
It seems like 4 leg tripods are a lot more popular than 3. Is rigidity not any better on the 3 leg versions? I feel like they'd be nicer purely for fewer leg sections to lock.
3 legs will always be more rigid than 4, BUT the 4 legs pack down significantly smaller, I want a "do it all" tripod. Something sturdy enough for my 85mm spotter, light enough to pack around, also want to be able to shoot off of it. The center column that unscrews is what sold me (versatility) over the Sirui. For me, the 824 was a bit on the bigger side but for the price I couldn't pass. I believe The 824 will serve all of the above functions well.

4th_point

WKR
Good to hear. What do you like better? Do you have any pics comparing the two?
I had the ST-125, but have never used the ST-124. I ordered the ST-124 but CLNY didn't have any so I took the ST-125 as a replacement.

The ST-125 seems really well made. Definitely more bling or Gucci than the SLIK., on the surface. The SLIK is just plain Jane.

The ST feet have built-in spikes that retract, the connections between leg sections are "waterproof" and easier to clean than the SLIK. Spring loaded adjusters too. Those are actually nice features and not just superficial. I also liked the center column.

What I didn't like is all the racket the ST makes. The feet rattled and could not be eliminated with adjustment (in or out). Just picture setting up your tripod on a perfectly quiet morning or evening, and you move the tripod a bit or adjust the legs. Instead of being quiet and stealthy, the feet on my ST rattled. Not super loud, but I have been busted by deer at 600+ yards just from moving my boot slightly in gravel. The tripod foot rattle was more than annoying for my needs.

Same with the spring loaded adjusters. They sure look Gucci but make a racket too. I don't want metallic clicks and clangs when I am setting up or packing down.

The above complaints may not matter to everyone though.

Although the SLIK internal leg stops are not as convenient to clean and reinstall as the SIRUI, the sections have less play in them. Especially as you extend to the smaller diameters. I know the 5-section ST-125 is not apples-apples to the 824 but SLIK doesn't splay out as much at the connections. The SIRUI internal stop pieces are more robust though. The SLIK are like shims. Just be careful you don't lose them or damage when re-installing.

SLIK also has a wider stance. Same deal as shown in the S&S video comparing the 634 to the comparable SIRUI.

I do have pictures somewhere, primarily showing leg angles. I won't be able to get to them until the weekend though. Hopefully the above gives you an idea.

OP
B
I had the ST-125, but have never used the ST-124. I ordered the ST-124 but CLNY didn't have any so I took the ST-125 as a replacement.

The ST-125 seems really well made. Definitely more bling or Gucci than the SLIK., on the surface. The SLIK is just plain Jane.

The ST feet have built-in spikes that retract, the connections between leg sections are "waterproof" and easier to clean than the SLIK. Spring loaded adjusters too. Those are actually nice features and not just superficial. I also liked the center column.

What I didn't like is all the racket the ST makes. The feet rattled and could not be eliminated with adjustment (in or out). Just picture setting up your tripod on a perfectly quiet morning or evening, and you move the tripod a bit or adjust the legs. Instead of being quiet and stealthy, the feet on my ST rattled. Not super loud, but I have been busted by deer at 600+ yards just from moving my boot slightly in gravel. The tripod foot rattle was more than annoying for my needs.

Same with the spring loaded adjusters. They sure look Gucci but make a racket too. I don't want metallic clicks and clangs when I am setting up or packing down.

The above complaints may not matter to everyone though.

Although the SLIK internal leg stops are not as convenient to clean and reinstall as the SIRUI, the sections have less play in them. Especially as you extend to the smaller diameters. I know the 5-section ST-125 is not apples-apples to the 824 but SLIK doesn't splay out as much at the connections. The SIRUI internal stop pieces are more robust though. The SLIK are like shims. Just be careful you don't lose them or damage when re-installing.

SLIK also has a wider stance. Same deal as shown in the S&S video comparing the 634 to the comparable SIRUI.

I do have pictures somewhere, primarily showing leg angles. I won't be able to get to them until the weekend though. Hopefully the above gives you an idea.
Thank you for the details, those are the little nuances you can’t find in online reviews when people are trying to sell one product or another.

OP
B
I may pick one of these up and sell my ST124 if I like it more…
I’ll be sure to post some pics when mine arrives. Should be here Tuesday.

You could easily get your money back in the classified section if you stuck with your 124.