Slick Trick Review Thread

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Going to do something I have meant to do for some time. Today, I started testing all of my Slick Trick heads. I have been a fan for years using the Standard 100, the Magnum 100 and the Grizz Trick 2 100 on the fixed blade side. On the expandable side I have used the Raptor Trick and the Assailant Hybrid 100.

I have some hunts lined up for next year where I will be going with the fixed blade. I am evaluating the three above, and quite candidly my focus will be on accuracy. I am shooting a Mathews Phase 4 29in. I have been tuning and tweeking the bow for some time. I am using FMJ T64 shafts with Blazer vanes. Tonight at 20 and 30 yards point of impact at 20 and 30 yards was identical for all three heads and my field tip.

So have any of you tested the these three heads and what are your findings and preferences as to each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Will increase distance next sessions

JNDEER

WKR
Never shot the grizz trick 2. Lots of shooting of the standard and magnum.

Standard always flew better.

When slick was sold the QC went way downhill. I would have to mix and match blades, heads and washers with multiple pkg to get good spinning arrows AND after a while in the quiver they would shift and start to wobble.

I am a HUGE fan of small four blade heads and have been for a long time. Despite killing the majority of my animals with the slicks, i moved on to another head (tooth of the arrow).

I have shot and still shoot the standard and magnum. No experience with the grizz, or the mechanicals.
The standard fly better at distance and can shoot them to my range of comfort on an animal at 60-75 yrds with accuracy. I have shot them before being sold and after. They do have an hiss in flight being vented. It’s similar to other vented broadheads. Only one time have I had a QC problem where the ring didn’t sit right and would rattle. I just changed it or I used it as my practice head. I haven’t noticed them being worse when it comes to spinning as compared to other heads I’ve experimented with (Kudu point, Exodus, tooth of the arrow). For the price it’s hard to beat them. A four pack on Amazon is $35. I have shot multiple animals with them and they leave huge holes.

This is just my experience. They may have quality control issues as they are owned by the outdoor group. Only some of their broadheads are made in america. The original slick trick is USA made (according to my package). I have read some styles are outsourced, but can confirm that. The steel isn’t a crazy high quality but it is strong enough for my needs and doesn’t cost a crazy amount.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Well today, I had two shooting sessions shooting at 40 and 50 yards both sessions. Again, point of impact for all three heads was exactly the same. Which to be honest kind of shocked me. I know all three are 100 gr heads and in theory they should hit the same, But, aero design is different as to each so I would think they would have some difference in terms of impact. They don’t.

This is not anything to carve in stone at this point, but the flight on the standard MAY have been a little more pure. Further shooting will have to take place to be sure. I am not saying they are more accurate yet, I am just saying the Magnum and Grizztrick 2 appeared to have a light rotation in flight. All are fletched with a slight helical, but any rotation of the standard was less obvious.

Another observation that should not be carved in stone and will take time to proof test, but for today I was more accurate with the Grizztrick than the other two. Honestly, I just think that is anomaly. I fully expect the standard to be the most accurate over time.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I will add a comment on the Hybrid expandable, I am not testing it. But, for those who are wondering it has been a time tested proven game changer for me on whitetails. Since its inception, I have used it. It is super super accurate, and I have had great success with a few expandables over the years. But, I put the SlickTrick hybrid above them all. Give it a try.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to wrap this up for anyone currently shooting the heads. After spending weeks tinkering in the basement tuning the bow, shooting out to 30 yards in the basement, and eventually going outside to shoot distance, I see absolutely zero difference in the Standard, Magnum, and Grizztrick 2 other than the Grizztrick 2 MIGHT display just a bit more rotation during flight.

I only used three arrows in this test each of which had a different head. I finished tonight by shooting out to 60 yards. Each head has the same impact at all yardages and I would feel entirely comfortable carrying all 3 in the quiver at the same time.

Yes, I am shocked. I was certain I would find one was better than the other or that there was at least some difference.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to add one last post to this thread in case some person is searching the net looking for something on Slick Trick fixed blades.

The last 6 days, I switched over to my Mathews Phase 4 31 inch bow. I had started with the Phase 4 29 inch. I also changed arrows. The 31 inch was set up with FMJ T64s. The 31 inch is set up with FMJ 5MMs.

I again shot field points, standard, magnum and Grizztrick 2s. Once again, I saw zero difference in the heads out to 60 yards. Impact was the same and flight looked perfect with all. I shoot field spot targets because I don’t think it is good for anyone to try to hit too small of a spot and tool long of a distance. I literally could have shot a darn good field round with the field point, standard, magnum or the Grizz 2.

I am not going to even suggest that it is the best head out there because I have not shot them all. But, I will say no matter which of those three fixed blades you pick you should be very happy.

Going to shoot some “stuff” this fall with all three and see if I notice a difference in penetration from the Grizz 2 due to blade angle. My guess is that if there is a difference the greater cutting diameter is worth what I expect to be as a nearly immeasurable amount on animals.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Smaller heads are more forgiving.

I always thought the same, but not with the set up I have on both bows. The largest heads the GrizzTrick2s were every bit as forgiving as the standards. I would intentionally make bad shots to see if there was a difference. I shot them in the wind. Zero difference with those set ups.

You may be right if a bow is not tuned. I do not know.

I won a lot of state and national shoots in the 80s and 90s. I am always amazed at how far technology has come over the years. It is truly amazing how accurate the modern compound is today.

They are good heads, but in my experience, one needs to think about what they're hunting and how much energy your bow is producing. The standards and magnums are not the most efficient blade design, and it takes energy to push them through the big stuff.

FYI, I just dumped an elk wth the griztrick this past week as I had a couple laying around. I've shot 3 animals with them, all weird, run a few steps and lay down type recoveries, not the explode, run a few yards and crash. I'm not sure what to think of that.

I have an assortment of Slicktricks in my quiver right now, my favorite? No, but too late in the season to start messing around. They work.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
They are good heads, but in my experience, one needs to think about what they're hunting and how much energy your bow is producing. The standards and magnums are not the most efficient blade design, and it takes energy to push them through the big stuff.

FYI, I just dumped an elk wth the griztrick this past week as I had a couple laying around. I've shot 3 animals with them, all weird, run a few steps and lay down type recoveries, not the explode, run a few yards and crash. I'm not sure what to think of that.

I have an assortment of Slicktricks in my quiver right now, my favorite? No, but too late in the season to start messing around. They work.

What do you think is a more efficient head? I am happy to look at any and all heads. But, for me they have to be accurate first and foremost.

Congrats on the elk! For me, unless the elk has spooked and I cow call to stop him then shoot, or he is so close he sees me shoot, I almost never have an elk run after he is shot.

I have shot a lot of bulls at 40 yards and I think they don’t know what has happened and probably just feels like running another branch, thorn or something into you side. I don’t know what they think, but it does not seem abnormal to them regardless of what head I have used. I have shot them with multiple muzzy heads, Slick Trick standards, Thunderheads, the head made by the guy that left Muzzy and started his own company (can’t think of the head now).