Sleeping Pad

I am looking for a good sleeping pad. I am hoping to find a good backpacking 4 season pad. I recently tried one from REI, the Therm-a-Rest ProLite. It was great as far as comfort and features. I used it on late December grouse hunt: open floor tent, snow, bivy sack, pad, then sleeping pad. I froze my backside off, literally. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I attached the link below to the exact one I used. Access Denied

I want to switch from my pro lite plus for bulk other than that I really like it. I thought about putting a pad of reflectix (thin insulation mat u can get at home depot) under it for added warmth. If you're not concerned with bulk I'd try that it weighs next to nothing. Just an idea I had

duchntr

WKR
As others have said, the xtherm will be much warmer with an r value of 5.7 vs your 3.4. You will certainly notice a difference, but in the meantime you can always use a closed cell foam pad like a z-lite under your sleeping pad to plus up the r-value.

xziang

WKR
As others have said, the xtherm will be much warmer with an r value of 5.7 vs your 3.4. You will certainly notice a difference, but in the meantime you can always use a closed cell foam pad like a z-lite under your sleeping pad to plus up the r-value.

This is what I was thinking too. I have a Pro-Lite that I've used before and like it for it isn't 'fragile' but was bulky and have switchd to neoair. I haven't used it in really cold temps though.

rayporter

WKR
i have a thin quarter inch or so closed cell pad about 4 ft long that i keep in my day pack for a butt pad that does double duty to put on top my sleeping pad in cold weather. usually only your neck to butt needs the extra insulation.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
As everyone has already said, Xterm or women's XLite to save a little weight.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jeremybj

FNG
Go XTherm but get the XTherm MAX. the 4 oz weight penalty is worth it as a guy has so much more room to roll around on it! And it is super, super warm.

Jeremy

snowplow

WKR
I just chose the nemo tensor insulated over the xtherm. IIRC it was lighter and quieter and just as warm. I would suggest comparing the two! I haven's used mine yet.

Jauwater

WKR
XTherm & The XTherm Max are Great. I went with a Thermarest Neo air All Season. I think it's weight is around 1lb 5oz, R Value of 4.9, 2.5" thick when fully inflated, and reasonably priced. Either 3 of these mats I'd recommend the stuff sack air pump. The supplied pump is worthless.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

1signguy

WKR
I have a Nemo Tensor and a XTherm Max that my 13 year old son and I trade back and forth on. Both are excellent- never been cold with either and we use quilts most of the time.

Graves14

WKR
I don't see them talked about as much on here but I spent weeks trying every sleeping pad I could get my hands on and was by FAR happiest with the sea to summit comfort plus insulated. R value of 5 and it has two chambers you inflate so
A) you can adjust the side you're sleeping on for comfort and
B) if you ever puncture one side the other side stays inflated so you aren't left on the ground.

It's split into top and bottom chambers not left and right if that was confusing.