sleeping pad for two

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking to add an inflatable sleeping pad for two into the arsenal. Currently, the gf and I have xtherms and separate sleeping bags. I was thinking of getting a doubles sleeping pad and a doubles quilt.. (looking at the EE Itasca and the Accomplice.. unsure of the differences yet) We did some backcountry skiing and temps dropped to -12*C. She stayed warm but I got chilly. This got me thinking of a sleep system as a unit.

I'm looking at the exped hl winter duo and exped synmat duo. Anyone with real world experiences with these pads? Recommendations?

Is anyone utilizing this setup with their significant other? Are there weight savings to be had, and will I get some extra warmth from a single pad vs spaces between two pads?

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I have a heavier Exped double but not the duo so no help there. As to your efficiency question; as far as the quilt is concerned it's a surface area:loft ratio issue. A double quilt that's pulled in like a mummy bag would likely have a slight edge, but there is generally a lot of wasted interior space on a double bag or quilt. Alpine climbers have been sharing bags for decades. Steve House had a 1.5 person sized bag built specifically for sharing with a climbing partner, but they aren't going to be using a full double sized pad. More likely two really trim pads or a single standard.

All that to say, I don't think you'll gain a lot of warmth:weight efficiency because double quilts and pads aren't designed in a shape to maximize efficiency. I could be wrong.

OP
T

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I have a heavier Exped double but not the duo so no help there. As to your efficiency question; as far as the quilt is concerned it's a surface area:loft ratio issue. A double quilt that's pulled in like a mummy bag would likely have a slight edge, but there is generally a lot of wasted interior space on a double bag or quilt. Alpine climbers have been sharing bags for decades. Steve House had a 1.5 person sized bag built specifically for sharing with a climbing partner, but they aren't going to be using a full double sized pad. More likely two really trim pads or a single standard.

All that to say, I don't think you'll gain a lot of warmth:weight efficiency because double quilts and pads aren't designed in a shape to maximize efficiency. I could be wrong.

Thank you for the reply. Are you backpacking with your heavier Exped? How is that working out for you?

Just curious if others are utilizing a doubles pad with their partner or close hunting buddy?