Sleeping bag

Scoot

WKR
See above! Your question is sorta similar to: what should I look for in a girlfiend? :) Give us some details on what you'll use it for, what your experience is, and how big/small you are. Also, like was said above... use the search function.

GotDraw?

WKR
I'm looking for a gun, any recommendations?

Can't be bothered to tell you if I want a rifle/shotgun or pistol, what my budget is, where I will hunt or what I will hunt.

JL

Last edited:
20 degree down bag for hunting season, 40 degree down bag for summer scouting/camping. It’s all i’ve used for anything i’ve done the last 30 years as i don’t hunt above the Arctic Circle. Check out the Kelty Cosmic down bags for a very affordable and functional option. If you want to blow more money buy a more expensive brand in similar temperature ratings. If you hunt really cold weather get a zero degree bag.

Ignore all the Tom Foolery above as buying a bag is really that simple.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up Thermarest parsec 0. Been awesome down to 10 degrees so far and just a touch over 2 lbs. Packs down tiny

Scoot

WKR
20 degree down bag for hunting season, 40 degree down bag for summer scouting/camping. It’s all i’ve used for anything i’ve done the last 30 years as i don’t hunt above the Arctic Circle. Check out the Kelty Cosmic down bags for a very affordable and functional option. If you want to blow more money buy a more expensive brand in similar temperature ratings. If you hunt really cold weather get a zero degree bag.

Ignore all the Tom Foolery above as buying a bag is really that simple.
SD has a pretty reasonable response above. However, the previous replies aren't tomfoolery... it's impossible to give an informed answer to such an incredibly vague question, particularly when there's about a million good options.

I'd say general rule of thumb. Down for any backpacking application. Synthetic fine for base camp or truck camping. The lower the temp rating and weight, the more expensive. Personally use a western mountaineering 15 degree bag for late seasons and backpacking hunts in the mountains and have a $100 0 degree kelty synthetic bag for the truck

SD has a pretty reasonable response above. However, the previous replies aren't tomfoolery... it's impossible to give an informed answer to such an incredibly vague question, particularly when there's about a million good options.
Meh, i gave a relatively informed answer, albeit pretty vague, to a similarly vague response.

If the OP goes out and buys a 20 degree and a 40 degree Kelty bag he’ll have a good start and can then evolve from there like we do over the years.

The rest is Tom Foolery imo.

SonnyDay

WKR
The North Face "NowICanSendPMs" is great--though somewhat spendy.

The Western Mountaineering "NowICanPostInTheClassifieds" is a great budget-friendly option...

Scoot

WKR
Meh, i gave a relatively informed answer, albeit pretty vague, to a similarly vague response.

If the OP goes out and buys a 20 degree and a 40 degree Kelty bag he’ll have a good start and can then evolve from there like we do over the years.

The rest is Tom Foolery imo.
So your answer is both "relatively informed" and "pretty vague"??? Haha- I actually kinda agree with you, but the OP could get a lot more/better info if he gave more info.

The point of the "tomfoolery" was to try convey to the OP that we need more info to get him a better reply.

GotDraw?

WKR
Investing the time to be responsible and actually think/create precise questions when posting for advice begets precise responses that leverage the knowledge of members here and show some amount of respect for other people's time so folks here aren't wasting their time and throwing a lot of *spaghetti* on the wall while guessing what the h*ll the OP is actually planning.

That the OP could not be bothered to invest in a few extra keystrokes to share budget/use case is a strong indicator to me, that the OP places little value on other's time, wants everyone else to do all of his work and is willing to totally waste anyone's time that posts SWAG guesses/recommendations.

...But maybe I'm missing something here?

For certain though, crappy questions that are of zero help or value to the reader have high odds of begetting similar answers and value for the OP.

JL

GotDraw?

WKR
Buy a bag, any bag that is at least rated 10 degrees colder than your use case.

(unless you invest in a Western Mountaineering bag)

That is solid advice.

Good luck with your search.

JL

I prefer a quilt myself. But check out Outdoor Vitals they are not as cheap as they were when I purchased them but bang per buck I don’t think they can be beat. I have two bags and five quilts from them.

vladkgb

FNG
I run a quilt, Enlightenment Enigma, 20 degrees. It's lighter, packs smaller, and more versatile, you just need a good pad. I ran it with a Klymit insulated pad, which worked great in Idaho at 20F. Trying a big agnes rapide pad this year. I also switched to synthetic fill so i don't have to worry about wet down ruining my hunt.

I'd say general rule of thumb. Down for any backpacking application. Synthetic fine for base camp or truck camping. The lower the temp rating and weight, the more expensive. Personally use a western mountaineering 15 degree bag for late seasons and backpacking hunts in the mountains and have a $100 0 degree kelty synthetic bag for the truck
What fabric did you get?
Gore Windstopper or Microfiber Series